[comp.sys.att] 3.5" drives and tape drive in Unix PC

sjohn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) (03/04/90)

	I am interested in adding a 3.5" drive to my Unix PC to make
backing up the hard disk easier.  Jameco Electronics has a drive that
is listed as a 720K drive for an IBM PC.  Will this work in my machine?
If so, will it give me 800K on a disk?  The drive is manufactured by
Sony.

	Jameco also has a tape drive that stores up to 60MB on a tape
and that runs on standard IBM controller cards.  Does anyone know if
this will work on a Unix PC?

	Thanks in advance.

	John

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/05/90)

In article <22605@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> sjohn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) writes:

|	I am interested in adding a 3.5" drive to my Unix PC to make
|backing up the hard disk easier.  Jameco Electronics has a drive that
|is listed as a 720K drive for an IBM PC.  Will this work in my machine?
|If so, will it give me 800K on a disk?  The drive is manufactured by
|Sony.

	Yes, and yes. One person I know has connected
	a switch and added the drive so that he can
	switch back & forth between the existing 5.25"
	drive & a 3.5" drive - it works just fine.

|	Jameco also has a tape drive that stores up to 60MB on a tape
|and that runs on standard IBM controller cards.  Does anyone know if
|this will work on a Unix PC?

	If it can be set up to look to the controller
	like a floppy with more tracks, it might work
	OK. This implies random access & floppy drive
	hardware interface compatibility. If it needs
	special software or driver, it probably would
	not work...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (03/05/90)

In article <22605@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> sjohn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) writes:
[]
"	Jameco also has a tape drive that stores up to 60MB on a tape
"and that runs on standard IBM controller cards.  Does anyone know if
"this will work on a Unix PC?

if this is the cms jumbo, (and probably all others that 'work off the
floppy controller') the answer is 'yes and no'.  electrically it will,
but it requires a driver.
coincidentally, i have a back-burner project to write just such a
driver for the jumbo.  i will be moving it up to front-burner this
summer.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	|	 But I thought we were *ALL* iconoclasts!      |

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (03/06/90)

In article <22605@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> sjohn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) writes:
>	I am interested in adding a 3.5" drive to my Unix PC to make
>backing up the hard disk easier.  Jameco Electronics has a drive that
>is listed as a 720K drive for an IBM PC.  Will this work in my machine?
>If so, will it give me 800K on a disk?  The drive is manufactured by
>Sony.

I waited a while for the correct response, but it didn't come.  Anyway, here's
the sketchy requirements for making a 3.5" floppy work in the 3b1.  If it's
configured for an IBM PeeCee it  WILL NOT WORK.  Sony's recent offerings in
the 3.5" size are hardwired for PeeCee compatibility - no jumpers. :-(
I know it won't work, I tried.  Gotta have jumpers.  I have a Mitsubishi in
mine.  Works great.  Stores 1560 blocks on a disk with a default file system.
(what's that, 780k?)  I have made an older Mitsubishi work, plus a Teac.
I had to experiment with both brands to get the jumper configurations right.

For the Mitsubishi, short the following jumpers:
SR MM IS DS0
Finding SR on older drives may be difficult.  It uses pins common with DC
and (DC).  Examine the silk screen closely on both sides of the header.
Also notice that you must twist the data cable when installing
Mitsubishi drives.  It's very tight after the twist.

For the Teac, short the following jumpers:
RY DS0

All jumpers not mentioned above must be open.

Hope someone can use this info!
--
Brad Isley, yer local tools blacksmith.
---------------------------------------

madcat@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Marty Donaldson) (03/08/90)

From article <9221@stiatl.UUCP>, by bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley):
> In article <22605@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> sjohn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Sasinowski) writes:
>>	I am interested in adding a 3.5" drive to my Unix PC to make
>>backing up the hard disk easier.  Jameco Electronics has a drive that
>>is listed as a 720K drive for an IBM PC.  Will this work in my machine?
>>If so, will it give me 800K on a disk?  The drive is manufactured by
>>Sony.
>
> I waited a while for the correct response, but it didn't come.  Anyway, here's
> the sketchy requirements for making a 3.5" floppy work in the 3b1.  If it's
> configured for an IBM PeeCee it  WILL NOT WORK.  Sony's recent offerings in
> the 3.5" size are hardwired for PeeCee compatibility - no jumpers. :-(
> I know it won't work, I tried.  Gotta have jumpers.

I got that Sony drive from Jameco. Works great on my 7300, 4meg, 3.51m,
and two 20meg hd's. But you have to:

1). add a 34 contact IDC socket connector to the current floppy ribbon cable,
    this drive can not use the card-edge connector like the 5 1/4" drive.
    Jameco part # S34 for $.79 each or part # S34-18-S for $2.95, which is
    a cable  with S34's on each end.
2). There are no drive select jumpers, that is true. There IS a drive select
    switch (4 position). It's on one of the sides, don't remember which. The
    drive came with the switch set for "drive select 1" (pc type do-do). I
    just moved the switch to ds0, cabled up, created a desc. file in
    /usr/lib/iv and started to format flops.

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (03/08/90)

In article <9980@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> madcat@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Marty Donaldson) writes:
>From article <9221@stiatl.UUCP>, by bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley):
>> configured for an IBM PeeCee it  WILL NOT WORK.  Sony's recent offerings in
>> the 3.5" size are hardwired for PeeCee compatibility - no jumpers. :-(
>> I know it won't work, I tried.  Gotta have jumpers.

Oops, I didn't mean drive select jumpers, I meant interface config jumpers.

>I got that Sony drive from Jameco. Works great on my 7300, 4meg, 3.51m,
>and two 20meg hd's. But you have to:
>
>1). add a 34 contact IDC socket connector to the current floppy ribbon cable,
>    this drive can not use the card-edge connector like the 5 1/4" drive.

This has to be a different drive.  The one I tried was from Soft Warehouse.
It had the "standard" card-edge connection.  It caused spurious interrupts
and resets etc.  I guess the major point is that I can make the Mitsubishi
and Teac work, but Sony had to be a real sleaze and remove the config jumpers
from some of their newer drives.  I'd rather have had the Sony, but the model
I tried was impossible.  I was able to take the computer into Soft Warehouse
and play with it until I got something to work.  I wasn't about to attempt
this through mail-order.

How about telling us the model number of the Sony that works ?