[comp.sys.att] Online Manual Pages

bobm@acsdev.UUCP (Bob Marrow) (03/16/90)

Does anybody know if online manual pages are available for either
the AT&T 3B2/1000 or the AT&T 6386wgs?  The response I got from
the hotline was that they don't exist.  I can't accept that.
This is such a useful item to have.  All of the other Unix machines
I have ever used had online manual pages.  If anyone has any
useful information, please mail me.
Thanks.

Bob Marrow
{sun, ames}!pacbell!acsdev!bobm
or
attmail!acsdev!bobm
or, for the adventurous,
bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM

josie@pegasus.ATT.COM (Jack Gross) (03/20/90)

In article <194@acsdev.UUCP> bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM writes:
>Does anybody know if online manual pages are available for either
>the AT&T 3B2/1000 or the AT&T 6386wgs?  The response I got from
>the hotline was that they don't exist.  I can't accept that.
>This is such a useful item to have.  All of the other Unix machines
>I have ever used had online manual pages.  If anyone has any
>useful information, please mail me.
>Thanks.
>
>Bob Marrow
>{sun, ames}!pacbell!acsdev!bobm
>or
>attmail!acsdev!bobm
>or, for the adventurous,
>bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM

Try (800)828-UNIX. They are the folk that sell UNIX source to the world
and the manual pages are theirs too. I don't know the cost but they
should have the tapes.

			Jack Gross
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			307 Middletown Lincroft Rd.
                        Lincroft NJ 07738
                        (201)576-3197

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (03/20/90)

In article <194@acsdev.UUCP> bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM writes:
>Does anybody know if online manual pages are available for either
>the AT&T 3B2/1000 or the AT&T 6386wgs?  The response I got from

I'll be interested in the online manual pages for both AT&T 3b2/400 and
the AT&T 6386wgs.

I haven't tried calling AT&T, but from what I read here, they either don't
have them, or just don't want to bother with it.

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (03/20/90)

In article <194@acsdev.UUCP> bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM writes:
>Does anybody know if online manual pages are available for either
>the AT&T 3B2/1000 or the AT&T 6386wgs?  The response I got from
>the hotline was that they don't exist.  I can't accept that.
>This is such a useful item to have.  All of the other Unix machines
>I have ever used had online manual pages.  If anyone has any
>useful information, please mail me.

Sys V machine-readable man pages are part of the source
product, and come with the source product if you happen to own
source.  I believe you can also purchase them on a sort of
"limitted" source product that only includes the man pages for
the particular version of Unix you own.  The Guileford Center
(sp ?) is the entity that licenses Unix source, and that's
from whence online man pages come.

I know that this has been the situation for 3B Unix for quite a
while.  The same situation is probably also true of 386 Unix,
and if it isn't, the Guileford Center is the place to contact
about that issue.  Their number is 1-800-828-UNIX.

Hope this helps you out.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support

acp@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (03/22/90)

In episode <4545@pegasus.ATT.COM>,
we heard josie@pegasus.ATT.COM (Jack Gross) say:
|In article <194@acsdev.UUCP> bobm@acsdev.PacBell.COM writes:
|>Does anybody know if online manual pages are available for either
|>the AT&T 3B2/1000 or the AT&T 6386wgs?
|>
|>Bob Marrow
|

|Try (800)828-UNIX. They are the folk that sell UNIX source to the world
|and the manual pages are theirs too.
|
|			Jack Gross
|			AT&T Bell Laboratories

I just called this number to inquire about online manual pages for SysV/386
3.2.1.  They are available as the Sysv/386 3.2.1 DRP (Document Reproduction
set, I think).  It is a commercial package intended for a company which
wants to (possibly modify and) resell the documents to end users, e.g. as
part of a custom version of the OS.  It costs $10,000 and you have to pay
a royalty to AT&T for each copy you redistribute.  The two very nice women
on the line didn't know of any more reasonable way to get on-line manuals
for this machine.

If anyone DOES find a cheaper (~$100) way to get online manual pages
for Sysv/386, I'd LOVE to hear about it.  Otherwise, it appears a group
buy is in order :-)

Kenneth Herron
--
acp@ms.uky.edu        University of Kentucky         ACP Network Consultant
ukma!acp         Dept. of Mathematics, room 715 POT          (606) 257-2975