[comp.sys.att] AT&T 6386 Expansion memory boards

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (03/27/90)

Does anybody have info regarding the memory address map for the socket
on AT&T's "4/16 MB Memory Expansion Board" (PE Code 37337, Comcode
406130534).  What I need is something that will tell me for any
given address, which SIMM does it reside in by socket # and column #.

There is no such documentation with the board.  The machine manual
documents the WRONG BOARD, as I mentioned in prior postings.  Two
calls to the hotline to find out this addressing info has produced
two different answers, both of which have proven to be *wrong*.

Right now, whenever I get an address problem, I have to swap SIMMS
around in an attempt to isolate which socket is the problem. Since
the POST messages typically give the wrong address (or none at all --
sometimes it just stops scanning at a MB boundary with no messages),
this becomes a real adventure.

For example, right now I am confident that the 4th MB is U24 Left
and that U26 Right is the 7th or 8th MB of board addresses...

If some kind soul within AT&T who has access to this info would
care to email/fax or whatever, I'd really appreciate it.  Each
memory error is costing me ~4 hours to isolate...  Email address
below, fax number (415) 926-6872.  Thanks in advance.

--
Alan S. Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 CAUTION: Objects in terminal are closer than they appear...

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."

rubin@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (michael.rubin) (03/30/90)

In article <3701@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>Does anybody have info regarding the memory address map for the socket
>on AT&T's "4/16 MB Memory Expansion Board" (PE Code 37337, Comcode
>406130534).  What I need is something that will tell me for any
>given address, which SIMM does it reside in by socket # and column #.

The 4-16 MB memory boards in my 6386 may be different from yours
since the sockets are not marked "U24", "U26" et al... they are marked
M09DS, L09ES, G09FS, ...

These boards have 8 SIMMs mounted horizontally on the left, 8 on the right
and two DIP switches in the top center (along with various other TTL).
According to the installation manual, the memory is arranged:

--0--	DIP DIP  --3--

where 0 is the first meg of memory, etc.  There is no clue as to which
of the 4 SIMM's in a megabyte has the high order bits in the word.

--Mike Rubin <mike@attunix.att.com>