[comp.sys.att] Text Processing package

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (04/11/90)

My VAR just informed me that AT&T doesn't sell a text processing package
(a la DWB) for the 386 and that I should buy the package from Microport.

That surprises me, as I thought that AT&T would surely sell everything
they unbundled and I didn't know anything about a separate text
processing package.  I *have* the Text Preparation System software that
came with MicroPort SV386 R3.0e; does anyone know if that will work with
AT&T SV R3.3.2?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Eng'g Tech'gy/Comp'r/Math    Mercer College - 1200 Old Trenton Road

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (04/12/90)

The Microport 386 3.0e textprocessing will not work
with ESIX rev C (causes system panics).  Although I
beleive it worked with rev B.
--
Performance is not a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
security requirement.  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr11.151015.4814@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I *have* the Text Preparation System software that
>came with MicroPort SV386 R3.0e; does anyone know if that will work with
>AT&T SV R3.3.2?

I'd certainly expect it to, as the 386 unix V.3 is supposed
to be pretty standard, at least at an object code level.
I'd recommend eroff, though, as a significant enhancement.
In particular, you'll need laser printer drivers to handle
font download, etc. to take full advantage of dwb.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (04/13/90)

+-- In <1990Apr11.151015.4814@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes
| processing package.  I *have* the Text Preparation System software that
| came with MicroPort SV386 R3.0e; does anyone know if that will work with
| AT&T SV R3.3.2?
+--

Yes, it will work.  But, if you want to print to a HP laserjet or to
a PostScript printer, you have to dig deeper...

Rich Richardson has a package called Jetroff for the HP laserjet that is
simply wonderful.  It sits on top of the Uport stuff...

Elan has a package called eroff that generates either HP or PostScript.

Rich's is "shareware/low cost" and Elan's is ~$700, last time I checked...

   -John Plocher

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (04/14/90)

<
<That surprises me, as I thought that AT&T would surely sell everything
<they unbundled and I didn't know anything about a separate text
<processing package.  I *have* the Text Preparation System software that
<came with MicroPort SV386 R3.0e; does anyone know if that will work with
<AT&T SV R3.3.2?

Yes the Microport version will work.  At least it has with ISC's version.
I have purchased with my ISC Unix the Text Processing package and use it
every day.

The reason why I know some of the pieces work, is that until I got the patch
diskettes, the ISC tbl program was busted and I used the Microport one until
then.

If you have the Microport tmac.an macro package, I suggest using it instead of
the one that came with ISC.  The ISC version is out-of-date and screws up
when used with a laser printer.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\         spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr11.151015.4814@mccc.uucp>, pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> My VAR just informed me that AT&T doesn't sell a text processing package
> (a la DWB) for the 386 and that I should buy the package from Microport.

If you are looking for a decent DWB for 386 UNIX, try Leverage from Urban
Applied Science (201-242-7230).  It is less know than many but seems to
work fine.  You can get it with jetroff for driving HP LaserJets or
devps for driving PostScript printers.

I got it after I tried to make some stuff work with the Microport DWB
which has more bugs that just about anything else in the world.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385