[net.movies] id AA28431; Thu, 23 Feb 84 05:55:51 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/23/84)

Date: Thursday, 23 Feb 1984 05:42:45-PST
From: orphan::blickstein
To: net.movies
Subject: Kung Foo & Bogus Golden Turkey Film

I also bought "The Golden Turkey Awards".   I've been a bad film buff before
I even heard of other people with my interest.   That film allowed me to come
out of the closet.  I was amazed at how thorough entertaining it was to read
that book.

I think the bogus film was obviously the film that starred Leon Trotsky.  I
don't remember the plot details or the name of the film, but I remember that
the plot as described was too bogus to believe.

Another great bad film not mentioned in the book is called "Frankenstein Meets
the Space Monster".  I first heard about it on Jean Shephards radio show.  He
tells a great story about the film and the friend of his who made it.

		* * Kung foo * *

To answer the Kung Foo question, Enter the Dragon in my opinion is the clear
winner in that genre of film.   I first saw it on a double bill with "Billy
Jack" (gimme a f___ing break...).  After sitting through BJ, I was prepared
to be bored for another 2 hours, but instead I was treated to what would later
become one of my favorite films.  I was struck not only by his martial talents,
but also by his screen presence.   Real film buffs should see that movie to
see how good a kung fu movie can be.

Another good KF movie is one that was written by Lee, but he died before it
went into production.  They got David Carradine to star in it.  Unfortunately,
I don't remember the name, but perhaps someone else does.  The film is about
an adventurer who is chosen by some KF club to capture some great book
containing the secret to Life, the Universe & Everything (something like that
anyway).  Along the way, he must pass various tests (usually fights of course).
Finally he makes it, and of course the book reveals an unexpected surprise,
etc., etc.  I think the title had the word "Iron" in it....

	Dave Blickstein
	Technical Languages
	Digital Equipment Corporation

	(UUCP)  {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein

	(ARPA)  decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@Berkeley
	        decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@SU-Shasta