[comp.sys.att] fixed my problems with at and cron

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/06/90)

Hi,

Thanks to all who mailed suggestions!

What had happened is that my /etc/default/login file was specifying
a ulimit of 4096.  A check in /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune showed that the
kernel had been linked with a default value of 3072.  Adjusting the
default/login file to agree with 3072 allowed files queued with at
to be properly processed by cron.

What is curious is that cron ran at files created by root even
though the ulimit was incorrect.

Thanks to the people who sent mail to help out.  I felt pretty dumb
when I discovered the cause of the bug.

==Bill==
--

Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    216-325-2511

jcm@mtune.ATT.COM (John McMillan) (06/08/90)

:
>Thanks to the people who sent mail to help out.  I felt pretty dumb
>when I discovered the cause of the bug.
:
	Given the hundreds [thousands?] of folk who have tripped over
	this little gem, the only "pretty dumb" aspect is that the
	'init' code fails to announce the discrepancy during boot.

	And/or, during 'init [23]', just something like...:

	if ( K_ULIMIT < D_ULIMIT )	/* compare Tuning to Default data */
	    system("/bin/echo 'ULIMIT conflict: /etc/default/login vs stune' |\
			/bin/mail root");

	It takes so little and it means so much...

john mcmillan -- jcm@mtune.att.com -- muttering for self, only...