[comp.sys.att] Is the 3b2 dead?, I think so:

isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) (06/06/90)

In article <23021@cfctech.cfc.com> kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) writes:
>In article <1990Jun5.002131.11389@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>>sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>>
>>>:From article <3532@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, by smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel):

>>>Do you mean the whole 3B2 line or the 310/400 models?  I doubt the former
>>>and I believe the latter has already been announced.  The low-end 3B2's
>>>are slower than 386's so why not phase them out.  However, I have heard
>>>nothing to suggest that the rest of the entire 3B2 line is on its way out.

Hello:-)

	I can not confirm this.  However, I feel that it is true.  I have
a 3B2/300 that I love:-)  It is SLOW.  It is CO$TLY.  It is OUTDATED:-(
But, I like it!  The problem that I have with the 3B2 line over the 386's
is optional extras!  The cost to expand a 3B2 is outrages!!!  One can not
go to the local store and purchase a hard drive for the unit.  One must
first buy a XM box$$$

	I have the 3B2/300 SYSV.2 and the AT&T 5620 terminals.  However,
SYSV.2 will not run layers, or at least the version of the DMD utilities
that I have will not.

	I have tried for about a year to find out what it would cost
to update my 3B2/300 from SYSV.2 to V.3, and now to V.4.  It seems that AT&T
doesn't even know.  I know there is a lot of software for the 3B2, but, where
is the list?  Does anyone make aftermarket hardware for the 3B2?

	I know that there are many companies out there that sell used
equipment for the 3B2.  How do you get on their mailing list.  Most of
the companies that I have talked to only want to sell used 3B2/310.  I
want EXTRA things for my 3B2: SCSI, XM, Math Chips...

	The final question is:  Should one spend the thousands of dollars
to expand their 3B2, or would it be cheeper to purchase a 386?  With this
question as our foundation, one can see why the 3B2 is destin to die:-(

A 3B2 lover,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) (06/07/90)

Granted that the 3b2/400 is slow, BUT:

ATT has a policy of donating these little devils
to academic institutions, and I FOR ONE really
appreciate it. We were given a 3B2/400 with
2M memory, 72 Meg HD, 5 ordinary terminals,
modem, ethernet MAU, and a so-so printer along
with SVR3, C programming package, TCP/IP,
sockets, tli, streams, layered shell, SCCS, etc.

I managed to find $4K to up the system to 4 M memory,
a second 72 M drive, and the Wooolongong TCP/IP
that should have come with it (and with which I will
be able to join Internet via the Pitt network).

Thus, I have a real (but slow) UNIX system that is
vastly superior to my first opportunity here (VENIX on
a DEC PRO350 [your fairweather friend]) and ULTRIX
over our network (which, unfortunately, did not include
remote printing at this site -- solution: lots and lots
of Kermit).

Remember: Apple bulldozed several hundred Lisa's into
a Utah landfill...so, the 3B2 may not be much in the performance
dimension, but it has been a godsend to us.

(If, however, you are willing to donate a 486 similarly
configured, I'll sing your praises too).

John Slimick
University of Pittsburgh at Bradford
slimick@pittvms.BITNET

pgn@cbnewsc.att.com (Novorolsky) (06/07/90)

From article <285@alix.UUCP>, by isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder):
> In article <23021@cfctech.cfc.com> kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) writes:

> Hello:-)
>
> 	I can not confirm this.  However, I feel that it is true.  I have
> a 3B2/300 that I love:-)  It is SLOW.  It is CO$TLY.  It is OUTDATED:-(
> But, I like it!  The problem that I have with the 3B2 line over the 386's
> is optional extras!  The cost to expand a 3B2 is outrages!!!  One can not
> go to the local store and purchase a hard drive for the unit.  One must
> first buy a XM box$$$

...Other stuff deleted...

Not to pick on J.Corder (I just more or less randomly chose
this article to respond to....)

The 3B2 is NOT dead!
The 3B2 is NOT dead!
The 3B2 is NOT dead!
The 3B2 is NOT dead!

Okay??

Maybe this statement should be posted monthly (Sheesh!)

The 3B2 computer model 300 is no longer being manufactured.
All other models are still in production.

Just this last monday, Release 3.2.3 of the UNIX\(rg Operating system
for the 3B2 models 500, 600, 700, and 1000 was announced.
It provides up to 25% improved performance over the previous
release (SVR3.2.2) for the 3B2.

Other evidence of the health of the 3B2 line:

    Continued sales of 3B2 computers to the USAF

    Some additional SCSI peripherals:
     Optical Disk Changer (A "juke-box" type arrangement)
     320/525 MB cartridge tape unit which is compatible with
       the 60MB and 120MB units in current 3B2 models.

    The UNIX System V Release 4.0.1 (As in SVR4)
	development platform was recently released,
	and is available to qualifying ISV and VARs
	for the 3B2 model 500, 600, and 700 computers.
	(Limited distribution)

**paul novorolsky
( !att!iwtpm!pgn, pgn@iwtpm.att.com, attmail!pnovorolsky)

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun7.163046.6487@cbnewsc.att.com> pgn@cbnewsc.att.com (Novorolsky) writes:

>The 3B2 is NOT dead!
>The 3B2 is NOT dead!
>The 3B2 is NOT dead!
>The 3B2 is NOT dead!
>
>Okay??
>
>Maybe this statement should be posted monthly (Sheesh!)
>
>The 3B2 computer model 300 is no longer being manufactured.
>All other models are still in production.

The hardware is in production, certainly. But how long will that last as its
software support and installed base withers away?

>Just this last monday, Release 3.2.3 of the UNIX\(rg Operating system
>for the 3B2 models 500, 600, 700, and 1000 was announced.
>It provides up to 25% improved performance over the previous
>release (SVR3.2.2) for the 3B2.

Who would buy 3.2.3 (yes, *buy* - I understand that 3.2.x is not considered a
"maintenance upgrade" for anyone who is already running 3.1.x or greater, so
it is not free under a normal contract) when 4.x is around the corner? AT&T's
"parallel development" strategy doesn't make much sense to me.

>Other evidence of the health of the 3B2 line:
>
>    Continued sales of 3B2 computers to the USAF
>
>    Some additional SCSI peripherals:
>     Optical Disk Changer (A "juke-box" type arrangement)
>     320/525 MB cartridge tape unit which is compatible with
>       the 60MB and 120MB units in current 3B2 models.

Wow! You mean one will actually be able to back up a 3B2/600 onto 1 tape?
It's about time. But 525 Mb is still not enough to safely back up a whole
3B2/700 or /1000. And magneto-optical is so slow...

Speaking for myself, as usual.
kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		    | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...!sharkey!cfctech!kevin           | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		    | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		    | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034