[net.movies] Memorable Scenes

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (12/16/83)

I have only seen one movie which really left me with vivid scenes
which have not gone away. That was "The Omen" (the first one). No
nightmares or anything like that, but it's been several years and I
still recall very vividly some of the scenes - the priest being impaled,
the guy getting his head chopped off by the pane of glass, the scene
in the cemetary with the black dogs, the nanny hanging herself...

I guess that means it was a good movie. Then again, I haven't
seen a lot of horror movies in the theatre, and movies on TV never
have the same effect.

Dave Sherman
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (12/19/83)

The execution at the end of Breaker Morant:
	"Shoot straight, you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"
and the song over the preparation of the bodies.

Various things in The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, all too visual
to describe readily.

The scene in Gallipoli where the Aussies in fresh to the front are
swimming and enemy fire forces them to stay underwater (catching the
bullets as they spend themselves).

The end of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where the lone survivor flees
shuddering into the road, uncomprehending that she's still alive.
(And I only am escaped alone to tell thee....)  I never understood
the idea of horror evoking the sublime until I saw that.

The original Dracula:  "Listen-- the children of the night.
	What sweet music they make!"

In Diva, when the diva first hears her own recorded voice, she and
her friend simply stand and listen amazed.  And the scene with the
elevator and the light switch in the same movie.

In Francois Truffaut's Wild Child, when the teacher discovers the
child ignores the load slamming of the door, but jumps at the slightest
sound of animal motion.

When Abel Gance's Napolean arrives to take command of the army of the
Italian campaign and in minutes transforms pettish antipathy into
admiration and enthusiasm.  "Ask me anything but time."

There's always the opening credits of Barbarella.  :-)

Actually, I find the cinematic-style scenes I remember with the most
clarity mostly come from books, not movies.
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq, jsq@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}

msc@qubix.UUCP (Mark Callow) (12/19/83)

Only one movie left me with really *vivid* memories of one of its
scenes.  It was a scene of an execution in a gas chamber.  When I
first saw it it brought home to me how barbaric capital punishment is.

Now whenever I hear of an execution I get revolted and have to turn off
the news.  I also find can't stop thinking about it for several days.
Apart from my belief that nobody either singly or collectively
has the right to take another person's life, what makes it so revolting
is the cold, dispassionate brutal premeditation of it.

The film was called "Hoodlum Priest" and starred Keir Dullea.

It is not my intention to start a discussion about capital punishment.
Direct flames to net.flame and reasonable comments to me via mail.
Do not send any followups to net.movies.
--
From the Tardis of Mark Callow
msc@qubix.UUCP,  decwrl!qubix!msc@Berkeley.ARPA

johnc@dartvax.UUCP (John Cabell) (12/20/83)

  One of the scenes I remember most is from "The World
According to Garp".  The beggining was funny, but the most
memorable scene is when the deaf-mute comes up to him in the
end aand shoots him.  Another one like that is the first/
last scene in Ghandi.
--
            From the Ever-Questioning Mind of
                         johnc

wombat@uicsl.UUCP (12/21/83)

#R:utcsrgv:-294400:uicsl:7600042:000:414
uicsl!wombat    Dec 20 20:47:00 1983

Odd, Keir Dullea was also in a scene I remember from when I was
in junior high. I think the movie was "Bunny Lake Is Missing",
and the scene is one where he's arguing with a woman playing
his sister. I remember odd scenes, though. One that really
stand out is the scene in Diva where what's his name is
recording the diva's performance on a rather large tape
recorder barely hidden under his jacket.
						Wombat

norskog@fortune.UUCP (12/21/83)

#R:utcsrgv:-294400:fortune:6900015:000:361
fortune!norskog    Dec 20 18:09:00 1983

When people ask me why I won't work for a big company I say,
"Well, remember the scene in Tron where the camera is in the
sidekick programmer's qubiqle, and lifts up to show partitioned
qubiqles stretching off into the horizon?  That's why I won't
work for a big company!"

That scene crystallized and created an emblem for my prejudice
against big companies.

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/21/83)

From: In.from.the.ENET, sent by Ed Featherston <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.movies
>From : ORPHAN::BLICKSTEIN
Subject: Re: memorable scenes  (Gas chambers)

I have the same recollection of a vivid depiction of a person being "murdered"
in a gas chamber.  But I'm pretty sure it was a different movie.  I remember
that it was about some criminal called the "Red Light Bandit" who ultimately
became a model prisoner, and ended up studying law while in prison to the
point where he had developed a fine legal mind.

Of course, after many close calls, he loses a final stay and is executed in
a rather emotionally wrenching and repulsing scene (which I later discovered
was absolutely "technically accurate") in the gas chamber.

I have always been opposed to capital punishment, but this drove home the nail.
It left me with the feeling that we hadn't progressed much from the days of
human sacrifice and burning witches.

If you really want to find out just how cruel and unusual an execution is,
read a book called "Deathhouse".  It makes the Excorcist look like a fairy
tale, and it's not fiction.

	Dave Blickstein

	(UUCP)  {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein

	(ARPA)  decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@Berkeley
	        decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@SU-Shasta

 End Forwarded Message

twt@uicsl.UUCP (12/22/83)

#R:utcsrgv:-294400:uicsl:7600043:000:500
uicsl!twt    Dec 21 21:30:00 1983

I have two memorable scenes.  The first is the manual inflation of the auto-
pilot scene from airplane.

The second is at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life."  Where the whole town
comes in and starts throwing money on the table and a telegram arrives from
London (or wherever (hee-haw) Sam Wainwright was), and little brother comes
home with his congressional medal of honor and Clarence gets his wings.

Or, maybe it's just the season.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

					Mary

rene@umcp-cs.UUCP (12/23/83)

One movie that has stuck with me a long time is an old Japanese horror
film, "The H-Man". It's about a gooey thing that looks like dirty
honey that crawls up people's legs and dissolves them. After I saw
this (when I was about 10), when I turned out the lights to go to
sleep, I would imagine this gooey stuff spilling over the windowsill
and coming to get me .... aaarrrrggghhh!!!!

					- rene
--
Arpa:   rene.umcp-cs@CSNet-relay
Uucp:...{allegra,seismo}!umcp-cs!rene

grw@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Wichman) (01/06/84)

	Well, let's see...

	In Kelly's Heroes, in the middle of the German town, with
    the Tigers looking for them, Oddball & his Sherman are out of
    commission.  Kelly (Clint Eastwood) asks Oddball (Donald Sutherland)
    what he's doing.
	"Oh, I'm drinking a little wine, eating a little cheese,
	and catching some rays, man"

	The end of Casablanca.  Any other scene in Casablanca.

	And George Harrison playing the reporter in "All You Need
    is Cash."

			Okay, wierd combination.  Sue me.
					-Glenn

sdh@rabbit.UUCP (S. Hawley) (01/06/84)

OK since everyone else is posting memorable scenes (peer pressure, right?),
I thought I'd join the crowd:

From Videodrome (one of the funniest movies in history)
A technician standing next to a wall says "See you in Pittsburgh", and explodes
blowing a gaping hole in the wall. (No reasoning behind his fulmination).

"Share and Enjoy"
Steve Hawley

frankr@inmet.UUCP (01/17/84)

#N:inmet:6500028:000:4047
inmet!frankr    Jan 15 23:31:00 1984

These are some of the scenes that I have found memorable. They aren't
really the top ten. They are more like the first ten that came to
mind....

1. The Graduate. Hoffman is on his first date with Mrs. Robinson's
daughter. He takes her to a exotic dance joint. One of the dancers
with tassels on her pasties stands above our heroine and manages to
do a propellor number with the tassels. As they (the tassels) spin
just above her, occasionally brushing her head, you can feel her humi-
liation build to an almost palpable extent. Katherine Ross played the
daughter.

2. Alien. Weaver has escaped. She beat the company robot and the Alien. She
is exhausted. Relief and fatigue crowd out hate, loss, and despair. She
is alive and she's safe.......

3. Looking For Mr. Goodbar. In the last scene of the film Diane Keaton's
character is brutally murdered. The lights strobe as she is stabbed.
That movie scared the shit out of me.

4. Seven Samuri. In the climatic battle good guys and bad guys are dropping
like flies. The fighting was sooo believable, not at all like almost
everything else where opponents stand toe to toe and fence. I remember
suddenly thinking that fighting with sticks and swords didn't seem very
glamourus.

5. All that Jazz. Now I am not a dance fan but there was a number somewhere
in the middle of this flick well worth the price of admission. I as recall
the performance was to impress a couple of backers for the musical the
dance was supposed to be part of. The lighting, camera work and choreography
combined to make an exceptionaly erotic dance sequence.

6. A Charlie Chaplin short. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the film, but
she was a lost heiress and he was, of course, the Litttle Tramp. There was a
gypsy wagon that they lived in and while I can't remember much else, the scenes
where he courts her stay with me. He played the quintessential mixture
of waif and knight errant.

7. Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea. Sara Miles plays a lonely widow
trying to raise an adolescent son. Kris Kristoferson plays the sailor who
falls in love with her. At one point he is showing her around his ship. They
step into the engine room. For just a moment you see her poised above a row of
huge pistons. As a demonstration, the engine is turned over. The sight of
those things rising and lowering takes her breath away.

8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The Black Knight scene. The English
certainly have a strange sense of humor. The first time I saw this I was
aghast. Arthur and the Knight played it so straight. When his arm gets loped
off and the blood just spews out, I was shocked. By the time the Knight was
threatening to knaw on Arthur's instep I was laughing hysterically. Damn
clever, those Europeans.

9. Close encounters of the Third Kind. I liked the opening scene of this one.
That poor interpreter! He was trapped out in the middle of nowhere, sur-
ronded by men who could barely contain their excitement. The things they
said didn't make any sense. The things he saw didn't make any sense. You
could hear an edge of something, not quite hysteria, creep into his voice
as he shouted over the roar of the of the circa 1945 war planes , "I don't
understand!"

10. harold and maude. Wow! Remember when he set himself on fire while his
mother was interviewing his date? Remember the traffic cop? How about the
analyst? "Everyone wants to make love to their mother, Harold. What I can't
understand is why you want to make love to your *grand*mother!" "When I think
of your young flesh....co-mingling...." And the ending, do you remember how
you felt the first time you saw the ending?!

These from my girlfriend:
Romeo and Juliet. The bedroom scene where you get to see Romeo's ass.
The last scene of Doctor Zhivago when he loses her forever.
The Last Tango in Paris. The scene where they f--k standing up.
The march to the sea scene in Ghandi.
The national anthem (French vrs the Germans) scene in Casa Balanca.
The love scene Liana.

Franklin Reynolds
{ima, esquire, decvax}!inmet!frankr

stekas@hou2g.UUCP (01/23/84)

One of the scariest scenes in movies was in "Wait Until Dark"
when all seemed well until Allen Arkin leaps from the darkness and
grabs the ankle of our poor blind heroine. (Who played her?)

One of the funniest scenes in movies follows. Efrim Zimbalist (sp?)
returns home to find his blind wife sitting in the corner of the
kitchen amid several bodies and the wreckage of what once was their
home.  A cop goes to help her walk through the carnage and Efrim
says, "No, let her do it herself."  If that didn't teach her self
sufficient, what would?
                                          Jim

walsh@ihuxi.UUCP (01/24/84)

The woman in Wait Until Dark was played by Audrey Hepburn (very well, I
might add).

B. Walsh

greg@olivej.UUCP (Greg Paley) (01/26/84)

The Hitchcock scene wherein Paul Newman's adversary
is done in in the oven is from "Torn Curtain".  The
woman is not his wife in the picture (his love
interest in the film is Julie Andrews who isn't
along for this scene).  I haven't seen it in a while
but I remember the woman looking a lot like Liv
Ullman (certainly not Joanne Woodward).

A scene that always grabs me is from Charlie Chaplin's
"City Lights".  He plays a tramp (as usual) who has
befriended a drunk millionaire and uses what money he
can get out of him to help a blind flower girl.  The
millionaire sobers up, has him thrown in jail, and
the girl, having used the money for an eye operation
and now owning her own flower shop, waits for a chance
to thank her benefactor.  She believes he was rich and
checks out all the limousines that pull up by her shop
for the familiar voice.  She sees the tramp and, as a
joke, goes to hand him a flower.  As soon as she touches
his hand, she knows who he is.  Bring a few handkerchiefs.

Greg Paley

diy@sb6.UUCP (D. I. Young) (02/24/84)

One scene I particularly like takes place in the movie "March or Die".
It stars Gene Hackman and Terrence Hill.  They are members of the French
Foreign Legion, with Hackman in charge.  I can't remember the name of the coun-
try they are in, but it is in the desert.  Anyway, one of Hackman's men on
sentry duty, a young and well-liked kid, is snatched by the desert tribe they're
fighting.  The Legionaires (sp?) go the camp to try to get him, but when they get
there they find him strung up and tortured.  Hackman asks the leader what is
the meaning of this, and the leader replies:

	"One of my men became restless."

The leader goes into a long spiel about Allah ridding their lands of the invad-
ers, and then the whole camp explodes with shouts to Allah and the women start
making wierd noises and they're just generally trying to frighten the stuffing
out of the Legionaires.  While all this goes on one of the tribesman starts
torturing the captured again, stabbing him with a sword then spitting in his
face.  As the tribesman turns back to the Legionaires with a grin on his face
he quickly acquires an extra eye-socket courtesy of a shot from Terrence Hill.

The camp falls silent save for the sounds of rifles cocking. It's a few
Legionaires vs a few score desert people, and it's a face-off.  Hackman
rides up to stare at Terrence Hill, and (good acting here) you can just feel
the communication between them, sort of like "You know better than to fire
without orders...but thanks!"  Then he rides back to the leader, who's giving
him one of those "You must be crazy as hell to dare that crap in MY camp!"
look, and stares at him for a few moments, then says:

	"One of my men became restless!"

I loved it!!!  The Legionaires then march sining out of camp, leaving the
leader gnashing his teeth. (oops, that's "singing" out of camp...they'are
not mathematicians.)

dennis