[comp.sys.att] Formatting ST-251 on 3b1

suh@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (06/14/90)

Can someone please tell me how many cylinders, tracks per cylinder and
sectors per cylinder an ST-251 hard disk has?

Thank you in advance,
/ken
Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Columbia University P.O.                     ..!rutgers!columbia!watsun!suh
P.O. Box 250039
New York, NY 10025

jetfuel@csusac.csus.edu (Dave Jenks) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun14.014519.21131@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> suh@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:

>Can someone please tell me how many cylinders, tracks per cylinder and
>sectors per cylinder an ST-251 hard disk has?

The Seagate ST-251 (a very picked-on drive with which I have had zero
problems) has 820 cylinders, 6 heads (tracks/cylinder) and
17 sectors/track.

That's what I have running in my 7300, so let me know if you have any
trouble.

--Dave
	    "Pro is to con, as progress is to Congress..."
>>-@@-> Dave Jenks		...!ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!jetfuel

An ST-251 drive has 6 heads, 820 cylinders, and 17 sectors per track with
the "standard" 512-byte sectors.  It's an "ST-506", MFM drive, does NOT
require any write precomp, and auto-parks on powerdown (though you may
notice they don't always spin back up upon re-application of power! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

suh@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (06/15/90)

In article <30799@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>An ST-251 drive has 6 heads, 820 cylinders, and 17 sectors per track with
>the "standard" 512-byte sectors.  It's an "ST-506", MFM drive, does NOT
>require any write precomp, and auto-parks on powerdown (though you may
>notice they don't always spin back up upon re-application of power! :-)
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  Unfortunately my
mailer could not deliver my "thanks" to several locations.