[comp.sys.att] AT&T Marketing Brochure From Hell

billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) (06/28/90)

In article <452@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>                          UNIX System V
>
>              Its Sheer Simplicity May Surprise You
>

>I looked throughout the entire brochure and found *no* smiley.
>
>     Steve :-)

I have been using UNIX for about 10 years now. It's sheer simplicity to me!!

Also no smiley!!

bill gunshannon

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/28/90)

I'd have to agree that System V might seem like sheer simplicity
compared to DEC Vax-VMS or IBM batch mode JCL.  I sure get tired of
SET DEFAULT [this or that] when someone makes me use VMS.  It is also
fun to amaze people that have grown up strictly in VMS by showing
them a Unix heirarchical file sytem.

==Bill==
--

Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) (06/29/90)

In article <6183@helios.TAMU.EDU>, billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) writes:
> In article <452@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> >              Its Sheer Simplicity May Surprise You
> >I looked throughout the entire brochure and found *no* smiley.
> I have been using UNIX for about 10 years now. It's sheer simplicity to me!!
I took a UNIX course when I first came to Bell Labs, and it always seemed
straightforward to me.  Now, an OS that's been described to me as "simple
and elegant", DOS, well, I just don't get it.  Maybe it's just me.

- GMS

murphyn@motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) (06/29/90)

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:

: fun to amaze people that have grown up strictly in VMS by showing
: them a Unix heirarchical file sytem.

But ... isn't the VMS file system heirarchical as well? After all,
they are *both* tree structures...

NPN

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (06/30/90)

In <452@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:

>We have all seen various AT&T ads for System V ("Consider It
>Standard") and I guess this is no surprise.  They must have
>gotten some different staffers because they have just taken a
>(ahem) different direction.  We just got a brochure from them
>called (sit down for this):

>                          UNIX System V

>              Its Sheer Simplicity May Surprise You

>I looked throughout the entire brochure and found *no* smiley.

>     Steve :-)

Maybe they were comparing it to BSD :-)

David Dick