[comp.sys.att] 3B1's wsdb

Has anyone gotten the "wsdb" (from WSDB+IN (from the STORE or osu-cis)) to
work on the UNIXPC?

Any attempt to use it by me on either the 3B1's console or a remote terminal
causes the message (paraphrased) "Cannot open wn, 2" to display.

Doing a "strings" on wsdb produces (among other things):

	/dev/window
	/dev/w%s
	Cannot open wn, %d

And, yes, /dev does has w0, w1, w2, ... , w12, window, console, ...

And doing a "ps -ef" shows that nothing is using /dev/w2 at the times I
attempted using wsdb.

Sdb is nice, but if wsdb is anything like the VAX/VMS windowing debugger I'd
be in 7th heaven.

The lack of ANY docs in the WSDB+IN is also a surprise; not even a ``README''.

Please post any responses to this newsgroup; I've been off on other projects
at work (and elsewhere) for over a month and am going to attempt to catch up
with email and the unix-pc.* postings this weekend.

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

ovdluhe@ethz.UUCP (Oskar von der Luehe) (07/02/90)

In article <31310@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Has anyone gotten the "wsdb" (from WSDB+IN (from the STORE or osu-cis)) to
>work on the UNIXPC?

Yes, I'm using it regularly. It's basically "sdb" wrapped up in the
Unix-PC windowing environment; i. e., you have a window for entering
commands to sdb and another for the interaction with the program to be
debugged. I have installed the WSDB+IN package as-is.

>Any attempt to use it by me on either the 3B1's console or a remote terminal
>causes the message (paraphrased) "Cannot open wn, 2" to display. [...]

I have the same problem. But it doesn't seem to keep me from using
"wsdb".

>Sdb is nice, but if wsdb is anything like the VAX/VMS windowing debugger I'd
>be in 7th heaven.

So would I; this is one of the few things I absolutely like about VMS.

>The lack of ANY docs in the WSDB+IN is also a surprise; not even a ``README''.

Same for me. I'd really like to get hold on the source, and be able to
make things nicer. How about a separate window showing source or assembly
lines as you step through, or shows the register contents?

>Thad
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Oskar

--
Oskar von der Luehe		UUCP:	"...!unido!cernvax!ethz!ovdluhe"
Institut fuer Astronomie	SPAN:	vdluhe@20641.span

gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) (07/03/90)

In article <31310@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> Has anyone gotten the "wsdb" (from WSDB+IN (from the STORE or osu-cis)) to
I've never even heard of this.  Boy, a few days at Walden Pond, and you get
left out of everything! :-)  Anyway, anybody out there feeling generous
enough to send me a copy?

Also, as long as you're out there, anybody got any hints as to what files
to modify to customize what you want to run on login?  That is, for example,
I'd like to use an $L(x) (as in $L0, $L1, etc.) variable to let me log in
on the 3B1 and have it automatically start the phone manager, select a
particular number, dial it, etc., or maybe select a full UNIX window, got
to a particular directory, start an editor...  Doesn't sound like it'd
be too tough.

Finally, as a pie-in-the-sky request, has anybody written or have any leads on
a REAL desktop publishing package for the 3B?  Time was, a 68010 had all the
power you'd need for global weather analysis, but now I don't see much in
the way of WYSIWYG usable layout tools.

As always, thanks in advance!

- Mark

G. Mark Stewart
ihlpq!gms
ix1g266 AT&T BTL
(708)979-0914

pusateri@macbeth.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jul3.050630.8709@cbnewse.att.com> gmark@cbnewse.att.com (gilbert.m.stewart) writes:
>In article <31310@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>> Has anyone gotten the "wsdb" (from WSDB+IN (from the STORE or osu-cis)) to

I tried wsdb after grabbing it from the STORE. I was not impressed. It is
basically just sdb in a resizable window. I am a vi user but the best
debugging environment around for the unix-pc is running gdb 3.5 from within
gnu emacs. Of course gdb (available from the osu-cis archives already
compiled) runs just fine without gnu emacs, but the pair together is really
nice. This little arrow follows your source code in one window as you step
through it in gdb. I know its alot of work getting gnu emacs running just for
a good debugger, but in my opinion, its well worth it.

I'm not a total convert to gnu emacs but it has some real advantages in
this case.

Tom Pusateri

pusateri@nbsr.duke.edu
pusateri@macbeth.cs.duke.edu

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/10/90)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>Any attempt to use it by me on either the 3B1's console or a remote terminal
>causes the message (paraphrased) "Cannot open wn, 2" to display.

>Doing a "strings" on wsdb produces (among other things):

>	/dev/window
>	/dev/w%s
>	Cannot open wn, %d

>And, yes, /dev does has w0, w1, w2, ... , w12, window, console, ...

My understanding is that an open of /dev/w? will *always* fail if that
window is not in use.  If you're not using /dev/w2, try

echo hello >/dev/w2

from the shell.  I betcha it won't work.  You have to open /dev/window, then
the window manager *hands you* the window number.  The fact that "/dev/window"
shows up in your strings listing makes me think the author of wsdb *had* to
have understood this.  Maybe it's getting the wrong idea of which window the
window manager handed it.

I guess this doesn't help you much ...
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \