[comp.sys.att] Death of various 3B things

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/28/90)

3B2-600s actually make fairly decent machines.  If anything kills
or has killed the 3B2 line, it is lack luster marketing as usual.

My favorite AT&T marketing misfit is the 7300/3B1.  The 3B1 is sort
of the Studebaker Avanti of computers (though the 3B1 case was not
designed by Raymond Lowe).  When the 7300 was introduced about 6
years ago, the 3B1 could make the low end 3B2 products look slow in
the compute power department.  Of course 3B2s hold up much better
as users are added, and 3B2s had much better Winchesters than early
7300s.  Even now, many people that see my 3B1 say, "Oh where did
you get that unusual looking terminal?"  I point out that the
terminal runs multi-user Unix and has a MIPS rating about equal to
a Vax 750.  The response is usually, "Oh, I thought it took a Mac
II to do that."  "The 3B1 has been doing that for about six years."
"GEE!"  "No, AT&T"  "Oh?..."  (Well actually Convergent
Technology...)

==Bill==
--

Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

In article <1990Jun28.111353.29426@uhura.neoucom.EDU> wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>My favorite AT&T marketing misfit is the 7300/3B1.

My favorite use for a 3B1 is to keep one around to point to and
smile when an AT&T salesman tries to tell me why I should buy
something else from them (software support, what's that?).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jun29.182049.23255@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>My favorite use for a 3B1 is to keep one around to point to and
>smile when an AT&T salesman tries to tell me why I should buy
>something else from them (software support, what's that?).

	As a marketing case history, yes the 3B1/7300 is a sorry tale.
	And yet, the system remains one of the more innovative of its era.
	While Sun and Apollo were offering expensive (and laudable)
	workstations for the techies, here was a windowing UNIX box for
	the "rest of us" (no apologies to Apple!) supporting a development
	system in 1 (one!) MB on a 40 MB drive.

murphyn@motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) (07/11/90)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

: 	workstations for the techies, here was a windowing UNIX box for
: 	the "rest of us" (no apologies to Apple!) supporting a development
: 	system in 1 (one!) MB on a 40 MB drive.

You failed to mention that it was the first inexpensive demand-paged virtual
memory Unix system on the market.

NPN

In article <3977@bone13.UUCP> motcid!murphyn@uunet.uu.net writes:
>shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>: 	workstations for the techies, here was a windowing UNIX box for
>: 	the "rest of us" (no apologies to Apple!) supporting a development
>: 	system in 1 (one!) MB on a 40 MB drive.
>
>You failed to mention that it was the first inexpensive demand-paged virtual
>memory Unix system on the market.

And: the real reason that it didn't sell at the original ~8K price point.
It wasn't just marketing, it was the fact the the box was deliberately
not expandable to useful proportions.  The fact that you *can* do
development on a 40M machine without any available reasonable backup or
networking support doesn't mean that anyone would *want* to.  At the
 ~2K fire sale prices it appealed to people as a personal machine since
386's weren't around yet.  With SCSI and network expansion support from
the start, it might have sold.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us