[comp.sys.att] Anyone for SLIP

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (07/09/90)

In article <31561@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>XAndy Poling just posted a notice regarding the availability of his ports of
>Xvarious BSD networking software.  Great!  I, too, have been working on some
>Xports since my posting of my dissatisfaction of some of the programs which
>Xaccompanied the WIN/3B packages I purchased earlier this year; to date I have
>Xftp, ftpd, finger, fingerd, etc. working rock-solid.  Perhaps Andy and I
>Xshould coordinate our efforts.

Hey, has anyone thought of porting CSLIP to the 3b1?  Since my porting talents
are poor if not outright nonexistant, I was wondering if someone was willing
to take up this endeaver.  I will take on this task if noone who is capable
is interested.  If this is true, than I'm interested in knowing what it takes
to port something like this to our beloved little box.  What sort of things
did Andy and Thad do?

Which brings up my other question...Thad, are you going to post your ftp, ftpd,
finger, fingerd, etc or put it somewhere for anon ftp?  No complaints if you
don't, but I was just wondering...

Anyway, thanks again,
- sparkie
P.S.	PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply to the following address:
		harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
	and not to the account I'm posting this from...thnx

billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) (07/10/90)

Speaking of SLIP, does anyone know if the printer port on the
3b1 is bi-directional??  Would make for a faster connection
between machines!!!

bill gunshannon

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (07/11/90)

In article <2603@ttardis.UUCP> rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
>what is SLI - do you have the source - I might be able to ort it.

SLIP is more properly written as SL/IP.  It is Serial Line Internet Protocol.
What it allows a person to do is use tcp/ip through a serial line.  There is
currently a package called KA9Q which will allows me to do this.

So what I've done is get my place of work (which is on the internet) to provide
me a SLIP port on one of our computers.  Then there's a modem attached off the
end of that port.  I stick a modem on my end, dial it.  The remote port is
just sitting there waiting to speak IP with anyone who has the right internet
address.  Then if the proper routing is taking place on my feed, I can telnet
to any internet accessable computer, and ftp to/from -- all for the price of
a local phone call.

Well, this is all nice and good.  BUT!  KA9Q is a package that has been ported
from DOS (the Unix users anti-christ).  Well, to say it gently, it doesn't
integrate very well with unix.  It is one program which speaks tcp/ip.  It
has implementations of telnet/ftp/etc within the one program.  It implements
it's own multi-tasking so that these things could be done in DOS.  If I want
to use it in one window, I can't use it in another window.  It's frustrating,
but it DOES provide the functionality (however limited it may be) and for that
it is great.

Now . . . I've heard tales told (from users of Sun machines) that there is
public domain slip source.  I've even found where it is.  What my Sun friends
tell me is that one can port it to integrate with OS so that all of the old
applications (ftp/telnet/etc) will work, but work over this medium instead
of ethernet.  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  In fact, this is so
useful to me that I've considered selling my 3b1 for a Sun2.  I hear
rumor tell this is a comparable machine to the 3b1, but with SunOS -- rumored
(again) to be a significant improvement over SysV.

Anyway, that's what it is.  Here's where you get it:  the name of the site
is novell.com (130.57.4.1) the files are: /pub/networking/slip-4.0.tar.Z
or /pub/networking/slip-3.x.tar.Z.  There is also a file called slip.shar.Z
I have no idea what is different between the three files.  I do know that they
were intended for a Sun OS.

I hope that you take on this port.  It would make my life a lot nicer.
Thanks,
- sparkie
P.S.	PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE reply to the following address
		harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
	and not the account from which I'm posting this.

billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) in <6450@helios.TAMU.EDU> writes:

	Speaking of SLIP, does anyone know if the printer port on the
	3b1 is bi-directional??  Would make for a faster connection
	between machines!!!

	bill gunshannon

No, sadly, it's not bidirectional.  I was thinking of this, too, in terms
of using the PARNET software to interconnect an Amiga with a 3B1 some time
ago.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/16/90)

In article <6450@helios.TAMU.EDU> billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) writes:
>Speaking of SLIP, does anyone know if the printer port on the
>3b1 is bi-directional??  Would make for a faster connection
>between machines!!!

The printer port is uni-directional (grumble)

(GRUMBLE) I recently saw a parallel port based SCSI interface which
is meant for Amiga systems but (GRUMBLE) would work if the 7300
parallel port were bi-directional.

BTW, I am very interested in porting SLIP to 3b1's (and a few
other related jobs in making a reasonable TCP/IP) ... BUT I simply
don't have the time.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>