[comp.sys.att] 3B2/310 & TB+

ejnihill@sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) (11/21/88)

I am going to be installing a TB+ on a 3B2/310 and rather than
re-invent the wheel, I would like to find out what S Register
settings that others have used on 3B2/310 & 400's. Also, are
there any tricks to setting up the Devices and Dialers files?
 I have the paper that TB sent, and it seems pretty straight
forward.
                                     Thank-you;
                                              Eric
|     In God We Trust,         ||  ...pacbell!sactoh0!ejnihill    |
|   All Others Pay Cash.       ||          Flick Lives!           |
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_J.S.-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

rk@bigbroth.UUCP (rohan kelley) (11/23/88)

In article <557@sactoh0.UUCP>, ejnihill@sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) writes:
> I am going to be installing a TB+ on a 3B2/310 and rather than
> re-invent the wheel, I would like to find out what S Register
> settings that others have used on 3B2/310 & 400's. Also, are
> there any tricks to setting up the Devices and Dialers files?
>  I have the paper that TB sent, and it seems pretty straight
> forward.
>                                      Thank-you;
>                                               Eric
Eric - this is the memo I did when I installaed my telebit. It may help
you avoid some pitfalls.

                           MEMO

From: Rohan Kelley (novavax!bigbroth!rk)

Date: 4-14-88

Subject: TELEBIT MODEM SETUP

****  System paramaters and settings for modem. ****

The /etc/inittab line setup for 2400 baud (assuming use of tty33) should
be:

33:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty33 2400H # trailblazer modem
for 9600 baud, it would be:
33:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty33 9600H # trailblazer modem
for 19,200 baud it would be:
33:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty33 19200H # trailblazer modem

The ps -ft tty33 (at 2400 baud ) should look similar to:
 root 16349  1  0 20:44:00 tty33  0:01 /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty33 24
and at 19,200 baud ...
 root 28981  1  0 11:13:03 tty33    0:01 /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty33 19200H

The /etc/gettydefs line should be:
2400H# B2400 # B2400 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #1200H
and
19200H# B19200 # B19200 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #9600H

[You can confirm the /etc/inittab, ps -ft and /etc/gettydefs entries
with the commands:

           grep 33: /etc/inittab
           ps -ft 33
           grep 2400H# /etc/gettydefs

The /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file must include these entries:

ACU tty33 - 19200 tbfast
ACU tty33 - 2400 tb2400
ACU tty33 - 1200 tb1200
ACU tty33 - 9600 tbfast
Direct tty33 - 19200  direct \D

The /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers file must include these entries:
tbfast =W-, "" A\pA\pA\pT OK \pATS51=254DT\p\D\r\c CONNECT\sFAST
tb2400 =W-, "" A\pA\pA\pT OK ATDT\D\r\c CONNECT\s2400
tb1200 =W-, "" A\pA\pA\pT OK \pATS50=2DT\p\D\r\c CONNECT\s1200

****  Settings for the modem itself  ****

Reach the modem with the command: cu -l tty33 | tee (file_name)
Note, this will make a record of the standard out (screen) and in the
file named (file_name), which you can then print.

When you get the indication, CONNNECTED, give the command at [return]
until you receive the response, OK.

To set the modem to run at fast speed using the UUCP g protocol, the
command line when CONNECTED to the modem is:

at &f s51=254 s52=2 s54=3 s110=1 s111=30 s45=0 q6 &w [return]

Then type atn? [return].  The current modem settings will print in the
screen and also a copy is made in the file, file_name. The response
should look like:

at
OK
atn?
E1 F1 M1 Q6 P V1 X3     Version BA4.00
S00=001 S01=000 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008 S06=002 S07=040 S08=002 S09=006
S10=007 S11=070 S12=050
S45=000 S47=004 S48=000 S49=000
S50=000 S51=254 S52=002 S53=000 S54=003 S55=000 S56=017 S57=019 S58=003 S59=000
S60=000 S61=045 S62=003 S63=001 S64=000 S65=000 S66=000 S67=000 S68=255
S90=000 S91=000 S92=000 S95=000
S100=000 S101=000 S102=000 S104=000
S110=001 S111=030 S112=001
S121=000
N0:
N1:
N2:
N3:
N4:
N5:
N6:
N7:
N8:
N9:
OK

You can reset modem settings while CONNECTED to the modem with the command:
 ats0=1.  This command sets the contents of register 0 to 1.  See page 3-8
of the manual.
Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse

eric@sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) (07/24/90)

 I am attempting to convert a TB+ to on a AT&T 3B2/310 to Hardware
 Flow Control.

(SVR3.2, EPORT Board, NCLIST=300)

I have already connected it up and and am getting fairly decent flow
using XON/XOFF control.

Here is the output from my TB+ connections. As you can see I can xmt
at a fairly decent rate, but my rec rate is poor. I am hoping that
converting to hardware flow control will help.
System       Xfers  Bytes rec  Bytes xmt   Connect  Avg Xf  Avg rec  Avg xmt
csusac          58     613271      15366   0:14:47   10838      700     1306
pacbell        166     107262     181665   0:08:10    1740      365      923
pacengr         18          0     248993   0:03:13   13832        0     1288

 I set S/REG58=2 and S/REG 67=01 in the TB+.

 I changed the initab to read:
41:234:sh -c `stty -ixany -ixon -ixoff; epstty hfc; stty ixon ixoff; exec /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 45 tty41 19200H`

 I am using an "Automatic Call Unit (ACU) Modem" Connector (fig 2-7, pg 2-11
Enhanced Ports Manual, Issue 2)

 Whenn I connect to the modem configured above, I get a utmp error and am
told that I must log in in the lowest level shell.
 This port must be able to be used by dial up users at 12/24 and systems
at 12/24/19.2. The TB+ must also call systems at 19.2

 I purchased the E-PORTS board used, I did not get the epstty(1) or eptermio(7) additions. Only the manual.

 There must be a way that I can set tty41 to be hardware flow control
once and not have to keep resetting it by opening a shell. I think
that that may be the problem, but am not sure.

 Any guiding light would be appreciated.

					Thank-you;
						Eric
--
     Some do, some don't.           |            eric@sactoh0
    Some will, some won't.          |      ames!pacbell!sactoh0!eric

woods@robohack.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) (07/25/90)

In article <3580@sactoh0.UUCP> eric@sactoh0.UUCP (Eric J. Nihill) writes:
> System       Xfers  Bytes rec  Bytes xmt   Connect  Avg Xf  Avg rec  Avg xmt
> csusac          58     613271      15366   0:14:47   10838      700     1306
> pacbell        166     107262     181665   0:08:10    1740      365      923
> pacengr         18          0     248993   0:03:13   13832        0     1288

Those numbers look quite low for 19200.

>  I changed the initab to read:
> 41:234:sh -c `stty -ixany -ixon -ixoff; epstty hfc; stty ixon ixoff; exec /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 45 tty41 19200H`

Why the "stty ixon ixoff" again?  It won't do anything.

>  Whenn I connect to the modem configured above, I get a utmp error and am
> told that I must log in in the lowest level shell.

You might try putting the 'sh -c' bit in paren's with a redirect of
stdin from the port in question.  But....

>  I purchased the E-PORTS board used, I did not get the epstty(1) or eptermio(7) additions. Only the manual.

Then how did you get the driver loaded?  Better find a copy of the
EPORTS disk, 1.3 is the newest version I've seen (came with 3.2.2).

>  There must be a way that I can set tty41 to be hardware flow control
> once and not have to keep resetting it by opening a shell. I think
> that that may be the problem, but am not sure.

If you have the eptermio(7) man page, and the header files
/usr/include/sys/{ep_dep.h,ep_lla.h,eppc.h}, then write your own
version of epstty.  It's not all that hard!  Then you can have a fake
front-end to uugetty that sets hfc, then execs the getty.  You could
even get a copy of one of the PD uugetty's.  They seem to work fine
too.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/25/90)

My experience with the 3B2/310 is that it can't handle 19200 bps
sustained flow such as it would get using a trailblazer in uucp spoof
mode.  It drops characters and thus uucp does lots and lots of retries.
Dropping down to 9600 bps actually increased uucp performance in my
tests.

This is particularly true of the console and contty ports, and is true
of the ports board as well, but to a lesser extent.

Note that the retries are between the 3B2 and the modem - the other end
of the connection will never see them, since the modem is spoofing the
protocol.  You need to run the 3B2 in debug to even see it happening,
and you might not be able to get an idea of the delays involved unless
you stick a serial-line data monitor between the port and the modem.

I believe the E-ports board in the large 3B2s can handle 19200 better
than that, but I've never gotten around to trying it on our 3B2/1000s.
	- Brian

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (07/25/90)

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

>I believe the E-ports board in the large 3B2s can handle 19200 better
>than that, but I've never gotten around to trying it on our 3B2/1000s.

There is also a lot of difference between PORTS boards that
are marked with HPP and those that are not. The latter are
practically useless for uucp.
--
Pim Zandbergen                            domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                           uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (07/28/90)

In article <16192@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> My experience with the 3B2/310 is that it can't handle 19200 bps
> sustained flow such as it would get using a trailblazer in uucp spoof
> mode.  It drops characters and thus uucp does lots and lots of retries.
> Dropping down to 9600 bps actually increased uucp performance in my
> tests.
>
> This is particularly true of the console and contty ports, and is true
> of the ports board as well, but to a lesser extent.

The 3B2 has five different possibilities for serial I/O that I know of:

	console/contty		1 serial each
	PORTS			4 serial + 1 parallel
	PORTS / HPP		4 serial + 1 parallel
	EPORTS			8 serial
	fiber + expander	various combinations

The last takes just one slot and lets you put lots of ports
(up to 32 or 64 or so), but I don't know much about it so I will
defer on it.   I also am not counting any Starlan issues (if any).

All 3B2s have console and contty ports, and these ports are on the
motherboard and serviced by the main CPU (by the DUART driver).  They
can handle quite a good data rate -- sustained full 19200 bps output --
but they degrade quickly when the system gets busy.  We tell our customers
to stick a 2400bps modem on the contty port because that's a pretty slow
speed and is likely to be working even if the other serial cards go down
(so we can dial in and fix stuff).

Next is the PORTS board.  These are worthless.  In my tests, an unloaded
14MHz 3B2/310 (40% faster than standard) can only do about 6500bps output
on a raw port, so clearly 9600bps is out of the question.  Furthermore,
there is a bug in the PORTS driver where backspaces always have delays
in certain common modes.  Try this on your PORTS board:

	echo 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b'

and watch it dump out the Xs very quickly and then take its time
moving the cursor back.  It can be maddening, so I "fixed" it by
define the cursor-left character in terminfo as ESC[D.  Sending
three characters is MUCH faster than waiting on the delays.

PORTS HPP is purported to be a high-performance version, but I
don't know much about it (others are welcome to chime in here).
I have heard that this was originally developed with the military
in mind, but that very well could be idle gossip.  I don't know
if it has the same backspace delay bug.

Last is EPORTS, which is a throughput monster.  It's got a smart
little 80188 or something like that, high-end Zilog serial
controllers plus DMA channels for each.  These things can do
sustained 19200bps input/output on multiple ports without
dropping a bit, and in general are very fast.

They support CTS/RTS flow control, but it is done in a way that
makes them not very helpful for many of us.  The big bug is that
CTS/RTS is mutually exclusive of XON/XOFF -- you can never run
both at the same time.  I would love to turn on HFC permanently
and tell my Telebit to always run at 19200 in locked interface
mode, and then allow dialin users to call in at (say) 2400bps and
have them flow-control down to the right speed.

Sure, the CTS/RTS works fine between the modem and the port, but
the user hitting ^S on his/her end will be ignored.  I use a
TeleVideo 9220 and I tried hooking it up to use DTR handshaking.
It worked great until I hit a ^S to stop some output.  Because
CTS/RTS was enabled, the ^S was echoed back to my terminal,
locking it up.  Wonderful.

Anyway, the design of the board also means that using XON/XOFF at
really high data rates will have significant problems.  Rather
than have each incoming character interrupt the EPORTS CPU,
instead the UART just dumps it into local RAM via the DMA
channel.  Then, at periodic intervals, the onboard CPU looks at
each input queue and transfers the data to the 3B2's I/O system.
It's quite a slick system.

The bummer is that an XOFF arriving from the other end won't be
seen right away.  Let's say that the XOFF arrives just after that
particular queue has been examined by the onboard CPU.  It will
take some amount of time before its turn comes again, and at high
data rates this time can be significant.  I'm told that "skid" of
32 or 64 characters is not uncommon, and all the HP LaserJets
that I've seen can't deal with this.  You gotta either slow it down,
use hardware flow control, or use a parallel port.

Finally, the EPORTS have had >tremendous< problems in the past
with bugs.  I have had several customers ready to throw their
computers out the window due to EPORTS problems, and only in the
last year or year and a half has it been better (with the 1.3
driver).  I understand that the EPORTS folks in Lisle had a very
miserable summer of 1988.

Whew!

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"I'm a simple girl; I wear a cat on my head." - Laura Dykstra @ NCR Orlando

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (07/28/90)

Speaking of EPORTS, HFC, XON/XOFF and Trailblazer Plusses, I have a
question about setup when transferring files to an EPORT-equipped
3B2/400 from a 386 running MSDOS and ProYAM.  (FROM the 3b2, no
problem.)  I always get "Got ZRPOS errors" every 8-9K when uploading to
the 3B2.  I'm already set for "handshake slow", but it seems that
without HFC, I'm doomed to error recoveries and very slow transfer
rates.  Is there a way to change the setups of the two 'blazers
temporarily to reduce or eliminate the errors?  Is there a wway to turn
on HFC remotely (I have a second phone line so I could call in on it and
do something with the EPORT and/or the other 'blazer)?

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (07/28/90)

One small side note on this. Instead of using a shell script to do stty's
after login and then execute uucico, why don't you just create an entry in
/etc/gettydefs that does what you want??  that would work just fine!

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it,
                        as long as it's crisp!!" -- Jorma Kaukonen

woods@robohack.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) (07/29/90)

In article <470@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> All 3B2s have console and contty ports, and these ports are on the
> motherboard and serviced by the main CPU (by the DUART driver).  They
> can handle quite a good data rate -- sustained full 19200 bps output --
> but they degrade quickly when the system gets busy.  We tell our customers
> to stick a 2400bps modem on the contty port because that's a pretty slow
> speed and is likely to be working even if the other serial cards go down
> (so we can dial in and fix stuff).

Even sustained UUCP at 2400 on contty can be a significant load on a
system.  However, it is true that contty will likely be one of the
last ports on a system to die.

> moving the cursor back.  It can be maddening, so I "fixed" it by
> define the cursor-left character in terminfo as ESC[D.  Sending
> three characters is MUCH faster than waiting on the delays.

I've never seen this.  I know it is possible to put backspace delays
on a port inside the termio driver.  Perhaps the default on PORTS was
to use this delay (for those old 33's you know).  I would hope you
could turn off the delay with an ioctl() though.

> PORTS HPP is purported to be a high-performance version, but I
> don't know much about it (others are welcome to chime in here).
> I have heard that this was originally developed with the military
> in mind, but that very well could be idle gossip.  I don't know
> if it has the same backspace delay bug.

This one does seem to work just fine, though it lacks hardware flow
control.  I ran two 2400 bps modems, and my dmd at 19200 on it for
quite some time with no problems.

> They support CTS/RTS flow control, but it is done in a way that
> makes them not very helpful for many of us.  The big bug is that
> CTS/RTS is mutually exclusive of XON/XOFF -- you can never run
> both at the same time.

This is a serious design flaw in the EPORTS driver and firmware!

> data rates this time can be significant.  I'm told that "skid" of
> 32 or 64 characters is not uncommon, and all the HP LaserJets
> that I've seen can't deal with this.  You gotta either slow it down,
> use hardware flow control, or use a parallel port.

It's too bad you can't set the port priorities in order to close the
window.

> Finally, the EPORTS have had >tremendous< problems in the past
> with bugs.  I have had several customers ready to throw their
> computers out the window due to EPORTS problems, and only in the
> last year or year and a half has it been better (with the 1.3
> driver).  I understand that the EPORTS folks in Lisle had a very
> miserable summer of 1988.

The still do.  Well, maybe not quite as bad.  I seriously wonder if
any of the drones at AT&T can write firmware (the 705 MT's I've been
testing have serious firmware problems, even at rev.1.2).  The EPORTS
with 1.3 drivers still hangs occasionally on every modem except the
AT&T 2224B.  I've put my 1200 on the PORTS/HPP card, but the Microcom
I had for a while required HFC, and was a real pain in the butt.  I've
seen reference (in the newest 3.2.2 docs) to a new command (relport)
(though I've not tried it yet), which the documentation purports to be
able to release a port from a hang without re-pumping the card (and
dropping all connections).

It is a real screamer though!