[comp.sys.att] Priam Drive questions

schafer@peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) in <1737@peyote.cactus.org>
writes:

	Does anyone know the details of getting a Priam Model 519
	drive to work in a unix pc?  It is a 15 head 1224 cylinders
	MFM / RLL.

	... I'm running a 3b1 2meg with
	a WD2010bpl04 controller.  ( The controller works well
	with my seagate and also the miniscribe 3085.)  I'm using
	the new diagnostic disk.

	...[other material deleted]...

The one item "missing" from the above description is whether or not the
P5.1 upgrade has been installed; the P5.1 (any of the three variations)
permits using a drive possessing more than 8 heads.

Without a detailed listing of what the UNIXPC reports as a problem using
the Priam, I can only conjecture the absence of the P5.1 being the culprit.

For reference, the 3 variations of ``P5.1'' are:

1) simple PAL and some jumpers (e.g. from Brian Botton),

2) ICUS 2-drive enhancement (Lenny Tropiano and Gil Kloepfer) with common 74LS
   and 26LS31/32 parts, and

3) John Milton's HD2 board.

The drive geometry (1224 cyls, 15 heads) Raymond quotes for the Priam drive
are the same as a Maxtor XT2190 which is known to work without any problems
using P5.1 and a WD2010.

Please note, though, the UNIXPC/3B1 does NOT have "2,7 RLL" capability, you
must format (and use) MFM at 17 sectors/track.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

schafer@peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) (08/01/90)

In article <32223@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> schafer@peyote.cactus.org (Raymond C. Schafer) in <1737@peyote.cactus.org>
> writes:
>
> 	Does anyone know the details of getting a Priam Model 519
> 	drive to work in a unix pc?  It is a 15 head 1224 cylinders
> 	MFM / RLL.
>
> 	... I'm running a 3b1 2meg with
> 	a WD2010bpl04 controller.  ( The controller works well
> 	with my seagate and also the miniscribe 3085.)  I'm using
> 	the new diagnostic disk.
>
> 	...[other material deleted]...
>
> The one item "missing" from the above description is whether or not the
> P5.1 upgrade has been installed; the P5.1 (any of the three variations)
> permits using a drive possessing more than 8 heads.

No.  It is not yet upgraded to a P5.1.   I just want to see If I can
format it as 8 heads 1224 cylinders for the time being.

> Without a detailed listing of what the UNIXPC reports as a problem using
> the Priam, I can only conjecture the absence of the P5.1 being the culprit.

It does not boot.  With the diagnostic disk in the floppy drive, and the
drive connected, the UNIX PC just keeps putting rows and rows of those
little rectangles across the screen.  (I only let it make 3 rows before I
gave up.)

> For reference, the 3 variations of ``P5.1'' are:
> [remainder deleted]

Thanks, I plan to get Lenny and s plans and board(?)

I did get some mail from a helpful soul who has this drive running on
his UPC.  He described the SW1 settings needed.  I will try this,
and post results for future reference (if it works! :-))

Ray

--
Ray Schafer				schafer@peyote.cactus.org
Austin, Texas				..cs.utexas.edu!peyote!micrtk!micro