[comp.sys.att] How do you change the uname on an AT&T PC7300?

jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) (08/12/90)

Hello:-)

	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.  I do know
know how to change it on this system.

	uname -S

doesn't work.

Thank you,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) (08/13/90)

In article <299@alix.UUCP> jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:
|>Hello:-)
|>
|>	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
|>However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.  I do know
|>know how to change it on this system.
|>
|>	uname -S
|>
|>doesn't work.

# setuname -s sysname
# setuname -n nodename
# setuname -r release
# setuname -v version
# setuname -m machine

That should help! :-)

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny@icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (08/13/90)

In article <299@alix.UUCP> jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:
|Hello:-)
|
|	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
|However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.  I do know
|know how to change it on this system.
|
|	uname -S
|
|doesn't work.

	In /etc/rc, you'll find the line

		if [ -s /etc/namesys ]; then /etc/namesys; fi

	which turns out to be:

		setuname -n <system-name>

	so you must edit it to change <system-name> to
	be what you want. The ADMINISTRATION menus in
	the UA window system automate this procedure.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) (08/13/90)

In article <299@alix.UUCP> jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:
>Hello:-)
>
>	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
>However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.

Edit /etc/namesys as needed.  This is called during boot and it is
a one shell script calling the program setuname.

-- Harold

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) in
<1990Aug13.162334.22632@cbnewsd.att.com> writes:

	In article <299@alix.UUCP> jdc@alix.UUCP (James D. Corder) writes:
	>Hello:-)
	>
	>	I have been asked to put an AT&T PC7300 on our network.
	>However, it has the uname UNIX.  This just won't do.

	Edit /etc/namesys as needed.  This is called during boot and it is
	a one shell script calling the program setuname.

	-- Harold

Uhh, James hasn't identified the SPECIFIC network upon which he wishes to
install his 3B1.  Mine are on two networks, and there ARE differences.

Re: AT&T StarLAN, my /etc/namesys contains:

	/usr/net/netname -n thadlabs

Re: WIN/3B Ethernet, the operative program appears to be /usr/bin/hostname,
which DOES check the existing utsname because:

	$ hostname -?
	Warning does not match utsname->thadlabs
	sethostname: Not owner

And, of course, there are the additional names tucked away in places such
as /etc/hosts, etc.

I suggest following the installation instructions accompanying whatever network
software/hardware combination is being installed.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]