[comp.sys.att] Sys V 3.2.1 online man pages

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (08/17/90)

we are a Sys V 3.2.1 license holder.

i have been told by our AT&T Source Code Sales rep that there are _no_
online man pages for release 3.2.

i find this a little hard to believe.  the printed man pages had to come
from somewhere.

as a license holder, is there anyone out there who will arrange to get these
to me?

[ we recently upgraded from V7 and miss them a bunch ]

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/19/90)

In article <1990Aug17.161215.2291@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>we are a Sys V 3.2.1 license holder.
>i have been told by our AT&T Source Code Sales rep that there are _no_
>online man pages for release 3.2.

They are certainly not covered by the UNIX System V license.
It is possible that (as with older releases) they may be licensed separately.

>as a license holder, is there anyone out there who will arrange to get these
>to me?

You shouldn't ask people to commit a federal crime in so public a forum.

smd@lsuc.on.ca (Sean Doran) (08/20/90)

In article <13614@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
shoots from the hip and writes:

>In article <1990Aug17.161215.2291@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>>we are a Sys V 3.2.1 license holder.
>>i have been told by our AT&T Source Code Sales rep that there are _no_
>>online man pages for release 3.2.
>
>They are certainly not covered by the UNIX System V license.
>It is possible that (as with older releases) they may be licensed separately.

The Law Society of Upper Canada is an educational source-licencee with
separate licences for v7 and SVr3.2, both of which includes all sources
and documentation related to the operating systems and utilities.  We have
all the V7 man pages archived on our (now unused) V7 machine, and we have
all 30 kg of the printed manual sets.  We understand that we do have the
right under the licence agreement with AT&T Canada to possess the nroff
source to the full reference manual set.

Perhaps Mr Gwyn was under the impression that this was not the case.

>>as a license holder, is there anyone out there who will arrange to get these
>>to me?
>
>You shouldn't ask people to commit a federal crime in so public a forum.

Perhaps Mr Gwyn is also under the impression that lsuc.on.ca is the Law
Society of Upper California in Ontario, California, USA.  In fact, this
is not the case; we are in Canada, where the unauthorised possession of
copyrighted materials is a civil offence, not a criminal one.   More to the
point, it is hardly an offence even under twisty U.S. laws to provide a copy
of something one licencee legally holds to another licencee with similar
rights to possess a copy.

I just wonder whether Mr Gwyn will retire from the military into AT&T's
legal department, where they are not yet nearly as 'shoot from the hip,
and maybe ask questions later' as he and BRL seem to be.

At any rate, if there are any sites which legally hold nroff sources to
the reference man pages for System Vr3.2 in Canada or elsewhere (assuming
they may export it without the types like Gwyn in the American department of
Trade and Export Restrictions breathing down their necks) who has copies of
these things which AT&T Canada seem not to have in stock, then jim@lsuc.ON.CA
would be interested in knowing about it.

--
Sean Doran <lsuc!smd@neat.cs.UToronto.CA> (or, more slowly <smd@lsuc.ON.CA>)
and  /C=CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=ICS.TEST/S=TESTGROUP/@nasamail.nasa.gov

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/21/90)

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>i have been told by our AT&T Source Code Sales rep that there are _no_
>online man pages for release 3.2.
>i find this a little hard to believe.  the printed man pages had to come
>from somewhere.
>as a license holder, is there anyone out there who will arrange to get these
>to me?

Har dee har har har! :-)  (Sorry Jim.)

AT&T has an agreement with Prentice Hall regarding printed manuals that
(apparently) prevents AT&T from shipping source to the man pages. I
went through this some months ago. For a while, it seemed like they
might be able to give us man page source under the terms of our DWB
source license, however AT&T was never able to figure out if that
was the case or not. Not that they would do you much good - SVR3
doesn't come with nroff or a man command, either.

[ Actually, all they were going to get us was the catman (pre-formatted)
  pages from SVR3.0. ]

System V: Just Consider It Bogus.

--
     Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
         {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (08/21/90)

Sys V 3.2.1, this is what i got:

> From: Bruce D. Becker <bdb@becker.UUCP>
>
> Amiga unix comes with AT&T man pages, and there was a
> 3.2 version for a while.

> From:	hedrick@cs.rutgers.edu
>
> There are certainly man pages, but ATT charges separately.  Some
> vendors include it in the package, some charge the user, other don't
> make it available at all.  There have been enough complaints that most
> vendors are now supplying them.  You should pressure yours to do so
> as well.

[ it used to be that they can as part of the DWB (nroff) package, but this is
  no more ]

> From:	paone@cs.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone)
>
> Until I freed my bonds of AT&T two months ago, I tried to track down
> those elusive man pages. They do exist. The only problem is that the
> only way to get them is by ordering the source code license
> ~10,000.00.  I havn't found anyone with that kind of money (even in
> AT&T) to check it out, but that is what I was told.

[ we ARE a source licensee, and they still tell me i can't have them ]

> From:	arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins)
>
> They do exist, and you can buy them.  For a mere $10,000 U.S.  Ask again,
> a little louder, and you'll find this out.
>
> Personally, that one has to pay that kind of price for the man pages
> really ticks me off....  Can you say "greed", boys and girls?  Sigh.

> From: gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
>
> They are certainly not covered by the UNIX System V license.
> It is possible that (as with older releases) they may be licensed separately.
>
> >as a license holder, is there anyone out there who will arrange to get these
> >to me?
>
> You shouldn't ask people to commit a federal crime in so public a forum.

[ it was my understanding that as a source licensee, we can exchange source
  with other licensees (within limit's, ie. we don't have a DWB license so
  i can't very well ask someone to provide DWB).  as i understand it, we can
  call up UCB and ask for BSD source as we already have the prerequisite
  AT&T license (UCB charges a nominal fee as well).

  my license says, and i quote section 7.05(b):

    LICENSEE may distribute copies of a SOFTWARE PRODUCT, either in modified
    or unmodified form, to third parties in the AUTHORIZED COUNTRY having
    licenses of at least equivalent scope ....

  (AT&T's emphasis)

  if the man pages do not fit either "SOFTWARE PRODUCT" (which in our case
  means Unix System V 3.2.1) or are not in the "scope" of our license, i'm
  sure someone out there would let me know. ]

> From:	jimm@IMA.ISC.COM (Jim McGrath)
>
> Interactive includes online man pages with its latest release (2.2) of
> V3.2.  I believe that SCO does also.  I don't know how one buys an
> unbundled copy, however.  I suggest you contact the sales organization
> of either/both SCO and Interactive.  Good luck.

> From:	wdavis@x102c.ess.harris.com (davis william 26373)
>
> Absolutely correct.  When 3.2 came out, ATT had just finished a deal with
> Prentice-Hall to have nice manuals printed up.  Providing man pages
> would have cut into the sales by Prentice-Hall.

> From: lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg)
>
> Har dee har har har! :-)  (Sorry Jim.)
>
> AT&T has an agreement with Prentice Hall regarding printed manuals that
> (apparently) prevents AT&T from shipping source to the man pages. I
> went through this some months ago. For a while, it seemed like they
> might be able to give us man page source under the terms of our DWB
> source license, however AT&T was never able to figure out if that
> was the case or not. Not that they would do you much good - SVR3
> doesn't come with nroff or a man command, either.
>
> System V: Just Consider It Bogus.

why is it that most of the vendors who have licensed 3.2 from AT&T (ie. SCO,
interactive, Commodore) issue online man pages, but AT$T (oops) decided to
squeeze some additional bucks out?

one of the reasons we have a source license is that we would like to alter
some of the programs for our environment.  it would be nice to update our
man pages to reflect these changes.

i don't think submitting them to Prentice-Hall for a private run will be
very cost effective.  8^)

hmmm....

does anyone know if you get FULL online man pages with the Sys V 4.0
source distribution?

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]
[ Standards are great. They give non-conformists something to not conform to. ]
[      The opinions expressed here may or may not be those of my employer     ]

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (08/23/90)

[ some stuff deleted here ]

>The Law Society of Upper Canada is an educational source-licencee with
>separate licences for v7 and SVr3.2, both of which includes all sources
>and documentation related to the operating systems and utilities.  We have
>all the V7 man pages archived on our (now unused) V7 machine, and we have
>all 30 kg of the printed manual sets.  We understand that we do have the
                                        ^^

>right under the licence agreement with AT&T Canada to possess the nroff
>source to the full reference manual set.

You might (notice I say "might", since I don't have an exact copy of
your license to read) want to check, and make sure it is both the
understanding of you AND AT&T CANADA that you have a license for nroff
source to the man pages.

Under domestic (ie, USA) licenses, the manuals are not considered part
of the source product, and the license only covers a printed, paper
copy of the man pages.  I wasn't working for AT&T when they split the
man pages off from the source, but I believe it happened somewhere
around the time System V Release 2 was available.  The date on all of
our man pages here are 1/6/86, so it's been a long while since
they were available to us internally.

As someone mentioned in another posting today, AT&T does have
an agreement with Prentice Hall, and I don't think they would
appreciate AT&T giving away something that they intend to sell
for real money.

But there is some hope on the horizon (for System V Release 4
users atleast).  With System V Release 4, binary customers
will have man pages available in IDS format (note that this is
not the same thing as the nroff source).  IDS stands for
Information Delivery System, and it's a software package that
basically displays text, and can be used to maintain large amounts
of text information in an orderly manner.  For example, we
have some service and  technical manuals here that can be
accessed through IDS running on another system.  You can
keyword search from the table of contents, or from a
particular section, and it searches every word in the database
(your manual) for occurences of those keywords.  It then
suggests sections for you to look in, and offers to display
them for you.  As far as display software goes, it's pretty
good.  Packaging for the man page package has yet to be
determined, but it will contain a run-time version of IDS,
and the System V Release 4 man pages, in IDS format.  I don't
know if they intend to charge for the package, when it will
be available, and which platforms it will be available on (it
will be available atleast for the StarServer E).

Other than that, not even internal folks with source licenses
have up to date nroff-able manual pages.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support