[comp.sys.att] SimulTask and huge D: file

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) (08/15/90)

Greetings gurus of the net!

I have a 6386 running SimulTask 2.0 and a large problem.
Specifically, the D: DOS volume is getting too large.  I have
deleted files such that the total size of the files (according to
chkdsk) is about 9 megabytes.  But the D: file (in the unix dosapps
directory) is still 15 megabytes.  How can I shrink the D: file to
a more appropriate size?

I tried exiting DOS and then re-invoking it.  No good.

I tried rebooting Unix and then entering DOS.  No good.

I have been unable to find anything in TFM, which is not to say it
isn't there; I just couldn't find it.

When the hotline for SimulTask questions was called, they wanted
$150 to talk to me with no assurance that a satisfactory answer
would be forthcoming.  That's absurd!

Any ideas?

-- Harold Bamford
   ihlpf!bamford

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.181508.10655@cbnewsd.att.com> bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) writes:
>Specifically, the D: DOS volume is getting too large.  I have
>deleted files such that the total size of the files (according to
>chkdsk) is about 9 megabytes.  But the D: file (in the unix dosapps
>directory) is still 15 megabytes.  How can I shrink the D: file to
>a more appropriate size?

The manual does mention (on page 3-13) that pseudo-volume fixed disk
files don't shrink.  It doesn't give a workaround, though.  For this we
will have to appeal to that rarest of resources, Common Sense(tm).

 1. Create a new pseudo-volume by copying 'cdisk' to something like 'NEWD:'.

 2. Edit your 'vpix.cnf' to point C: to your new D pseudo-volume, and D: to
your old one.

 3. Boot Simul-Task with this configuration -- if your old D: was not
bootable, you may need to boot from floppy with 'dos -b'.

 4. Use XCOPY to copy all the files from D: to C:.

 5. Quit DOS and rename NEWD: to D:, deleting the old one.

 6. Re-edit your 'vpix.cnf' to restore the settings for C: and D:.

This will do the trick.  I recommend you don't use pseudo-volumes for
applications involving a lot of file creation and deletion, because it's
a pain to garbage collect the wasted space.  Use the UNIX file system if
possible, or if the software balks use a physical DOS partition
instead.

--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug16.153309.28653@cbnewsd.att.com> bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) writes:
>In article <15749@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>[procedure for garbage collecting a pseudo-volume fixed disk (PVFD) file]
>
>A wonderful procedure.  Doesn't work if you don't have enough space
>in /usr however.  I suspect that copying D: (via unconditional
>backup??) to floppy is the way to go...

There is nothing special about the /usr file system as far as VP/ix (aka
Simul-Task) is concerned.  If there is enough free space on /usr2 or any
other mounted file system, the new D: file can be placed there, and mv'd
back to the original location after compacting.

If there is insufficient free space anywhere on any UNIX filesystem,
then indeed the procedure can be done by running BACKUP from the old D:
to a stack of floppies, then rm'ing the old D:, creating a new one by
cp'ing 'cdisk', and RESTORE'ing from the floppies to the new D:
pseudo-volume.  Only be careful to verify the floppies before rm'ing the
old PVFD file!

In general I recommend against letting a PVFD file get bigger than the
amount of free space on its file system.  Use the UNIX file system
instead if you can get away with it, or a real DOS partition if sector
level stuff is involved.
--
Psychoanalysis is the mental illness   \\\    Tom Neff
it purports to cure. -- Karl Kraus      \\\   tneff@bfmn0.BFM.COM

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) (08/16/90)

In article <15749@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>The manual does mention (on page 3-13) that pseudo-volume fixed disk
>files don't shrink.  It doesn't give a workaround, though.  For this we
>will have to appeal to that rarest of resources, Common Sense(tm).
>
> 1. Create a new pseudo-volume by copying 'cdisk' to something like 'NEWD:'.
>
> 2. Edit your 'vpix.cnf' to point C: to your new D pseudo-volume, and D: to
>your old one.
>
> 3. Boot Simul-Task with this configuration -- if your old D: was not
>bootable, you may need to boot from floppy with 'dos -b'.
>
> 4. Use XCOPY to copy all the files from D: to C:.
>
> 5. Quit DOS and rename NEWD: to D:, deleting the old one.
>
> 6. Re-edit your 'vpix.cnf' to restore the settings for C: and D:.
>
>This will do the trick.  I recommend you don't use pseudo-volumes for
>applications involving a lot of file creation and deletion, because it's
>a pain to garbage collect the wasted space.  Use the UNIX file system if
>possible, or if the software balks use a physical DOS partition
>instead.

A wonderful procedure.  Doesn't work if you don't have enough space
in /usr however.  I suspect that copying D: (via unconditional
backup??) to floppy is the way to go...

-- Harold

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (08/17/90)

I had this same problem before, and what I did was to create a DOS partition
and a UNIX partition so that I could boot the beast in either mode with
the use of 'fdisk'.  I then issued the 'dosslice' command which made the
DOS partition available to Simultask...simply edited the vpix.cnf to point
to the partition rather than a pseudo-vol.

This way, I can 'have my cake' and run in native 386 mode if desired by
booting up in DOS rather than UNIX...

I must admit, I was scared to issue the 'dosslice' command, fearing that
it would somehow make DOS unbootable from a cold-start, but it works
perfectly.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|    Business:    cmilono@iliad.att.com                                    |
|"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." B.Watterson |

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug14.181508.10655@cbnewsd.att.com> bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) writes:

>I have a 6386 running SimulTask 2.0 and a large problem.
>Specifically, the D: DOS volume is getting too large.  I have
>deleted files such that the total size of the files (according to
>chkdsk) is about 9 megabytes.  But the D: file (in the unix dosapps
>directory) is still 15 megabytes.  How can I shrink the D: file to
>a more appropriate size?

The ability to shrink pseudo-volumes is one of the features of
Simultask 3.0, which is in Beta now.  In the mean-time, here's
how you can shrink the volume.

Note that it's a good idea to back up the /usr/vpix tree
before you do this.

Basically, what you want to do is create a new copy of the
pseudo-volume, then delete the old volume.  An original,
pristine, pseudo-volume can be found in /usr/vpix (the file
Cdrive).  To make a copy of the pristine Cdrive, you could do
something like :

# cp /usr/vpix/Cdrive /usr/vpix/defaults/D:

To make this available under Simultask, you need to edit the
/usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf file.  In that file, near the
bottom, you should see an entry like :

# D	/usr/dosapps/D:

To make your new copy of the D drive available under
Simultask, you would change that to :

# D	/usr/vpix/defaults/D:

Then, start Simultask.

# dos

Then, format the new D drive :

C:\> format D: /s

This will format the new pseudo volume.  It will behave
exactly like the normal MSDOS format of a hard disk, except in
this case your hard disk will be the UNIX filename you put in
the C line of /usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf.  MAKE SURE you aren't
formatting a volume you've made available through dosslice
(ie, your D line in /usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf does not
contain an entry that starts with /dev/rdsk).  If you've followed
the instructions above you'll be okay.  Don't forget the /s
parameter so that the volume is bootable.

When this completes, execute the following command :

C:\> xcopy c:\ d:\ /s

This will take a few minutes.  Then exit out of Simultask, and
execute the following command :

# cp /usr/vpix/defaults/D: /usr/vpix/defaults/C:

At this point, you should now see lots of space freed up.
Then re-edit /usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf so that the D entry
looks like it did originally.

Then restart Simultask; everything should boot as normal,
except now you're pseudo volume should be almost exactly the
size of the files you have in it.

Hope this helps you out.  Highly recommend you take a look
through the Simultask manual and read up about the contents of
/usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf if you aren't familiar with
editing that file before you attempt this.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug22.172036.17300@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <4928@cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee@cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee, attmail!fmcgee) writes:
>=The ability to shrink pseudo-volumes is one of the features of
>=Simultask 3.0, which is in Beta now.

>	While you're at it, how about fixing S-T so that Windows 3
>	runs under it??

I don't think it's Simul-Task's fault.  Goddamn Windows 3 goes out and
tries to run various protected mode things to "figure out" what its
environment is, EVEN when you tell it to shut up and use -R mode!!  God
how I hate programs that think they're smarter than you are.

--
To have a horror of the bourgeois   (\(    Tom Neff
is bourgeois. -- Jules Renard        )\)   tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/23/90)

In article <4928@cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee@cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee, attmail!fmcgee) writes:
=The ability to shrink pseudo-volumes is one of the features of
=Simultask 3.0, which is in Beta now.

	While you're at it, how about fixing S-T so that Windows 3
	runs under it??

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (08/24/90)

The next version of S-T *should* permit Windoze 3.Oh to work.

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/24/90)

=
=I don't think it's Simul-Task's fault.  Goddamn Windows 3 goes out and
=tries to run various protected mode things to "figure out" what its
=environment is, EVEN when you tell it to shut up and use -R mode!!  God
=how I hate programs that think they're smarter than you are.

	Especially when they're right!  ;-)  OK - I'll redirect
	my complaint to Microsoft.

Pete