[comp.sys.att] 3B2/300 and SCSI

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (08/23/90)

I'm reposting this to this group, since the first seems to have gotten
lost somewhere down the line.

I posted an article a few days ago asking in u3b.misc if anyone had a
SCSI card for sale for a 3B2/300.

Well, I didn't get any replies, so I have a few questions.

1) Is there even such a thing as a SCSI for 3B2?  I thought I've heard
   of SCSI's being used on the lower end models.

2) How much does one of those cards go for retail?

3) Where do I get one retail?

4) Where do I get one discounted?

5) Will I experience a performance improvement?  I can't imagine why I
   wouldn't since the CDC in my 3B2 is just about the slowest hard drive
   around.

6) Can the SCSI be used for paging?

Anything else I should know about SCSI's and 3B2's???

-greg

isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) (08/25/90)

Hello:-)

	I have tried for about a year to find information on a SCSI card
for my 3B2/300.  However, I have been unable to find it.  I have two 80
meg SCSI drives that I would love to hook up to my system.  I have written
to the companies in the back of "UNIX World."  However, none have replied.

	Hey Greg Please, send me a copy of any information that you receive, or
post it:-)

Thank you,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc
alix!jdc@cis.ohio-state.edu

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (08/26/90)

In article <302@alix.UUCP> isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) writes:
>	I have tried for about a year to find information on a SCSI card
>for my 3B2/300.  However, I have been unable to find it.

OK, OK...  I know I've got that info somewhere in this filing
cabinet...  Ah, here it is:

Congruent Technologies, Inc.
9065 Jollyville Rd.
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 346-4761

SCSI/3B  SCSI Host Adapter for AT&T 3B2/300,310,400   $1,995
SCSI/PC  SCSI Host Adapter for WGS 386                $  750

[ Note: the price list is from January 1989!!! ]

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug25.214150.2555@vmp.com> oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) writes:

>OK, OK...  I know I've got that info somewhere in this filing
>cabinet...  Ah, here it is:
>
>Congruent Technologies, Inc.
>
>SCSI/3B  SCSI Host Adapter for AT&T 3B2/300,310,400   $1,995
>SCSI/PC  SCSI Host Adapter for WGS 386                $  750

Wow!!!!!!!

I've called a couple places, and got one mail message with a price,
and the lowest I got was just under $1400 for a new one.  That's
still more than I can afford for a home system...

Anybody got a used one they can spare in exchange for some loose
change???

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik					Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...uunet!motcid!gulik	access UNIX system at
   ||  gulik@depaul.edu					(708) 318-7133

Notice:  Gagme's number is changing to (312) 714-8568 over Labor Day Weekend.

dwb@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561340~Doug W. Barnes~C29~M18~7104~) (08/27/90)

>I posted an article a few days ago asking in u3b.misc if anyone had a
>SCSI card for sale for a 3B2/300.
>
>1) Is there even such a thing as a SCSI for 3B2?  I thought I've heard
>   of SCSI's being used on the lower end models.

Yes, you can add SCSI peripherals to any model 3B2 with the appropriate
hardware and software.  Although, this was never tested on a 300, I know it
works because I have done it.  The problem comes with support, since it was
never tested, it is not a supported configuration.

>2) How much does one of those cards go for retail?

Probably more than the 3B2/300 is worth.

>3) Where do I get one retail?

From your friendly account representative.

>4) Where do I get one discounted?

Look in the computer rags.  Some companies do sell used 3B2 equipment.

>5) Will I experience a performance improvement?  I can't imagine why I
>   wouldn't since the CDC in my 3B2 is just about the slowest hard drive
>   around.

Yes, and you will also be able to add drives just by cabling them on the
end of the bus.

>6) Can the SCSI be used for paging?

The current releases of UNIX are paging releases.
Your best bet is using Release 3.2 if you are going to try this adventure.

>Anything else I should know about SCSI's and 3B2's???

Your best bet is to forget adding this to the 300 and consider a 3B2/500 or
600.  You'll get all the hardware you need standard, a better OS, and an MAU,
better memory expansion and a tape drive for backups all standard.

isolated@alix.UUCP (20 James D. Corder) (08/28/90)

	I wrote them twice, they never responded:-(

>SCSI/3B  SCSI Host Adapter for AT&T 3B2/300,310,400   $1,995
>SCSI/PC  SCSI Host Adapter for WGS 386                $  750
>
>[ Note: the price list is from January 1989!!! ]

	WOW, $1,995.00.  No wonder why the 3B2/300 died:-(  As I have written
in my postings before, I got my 3B2 long ago now that I want to expand it, it
would be cheeper for me to get a new SUN system.

	Oh Well, I will try to write Congrent again.

Thank you,
James D. Corder
...osu-cis!alix!jdc
...att!osu-cis!alix!jdc