[comp.sys.att] Does Open Look run over Ethernet?

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) (10/01/90)

Hi folks,

     We just got an EN100 NAU Starlan 10 network board for our
6386 machine and are thinking about getting X Window Open Look
for it.  I have been told by a generally reliable source that
X works over Starlan but not over Ethernet (we are using the
cheapernet tap).  Is there any truth to this?  Can one fire up
a client on an X terminal?  Note that I know very very little
about the whole X and networking game (but learning fast), so
please forgive me if this is a ridiculous question.

     Also, what are avenues for getting the Motif widget set
running somehow on the 386 running AT&T UNIX?

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"There are no technical problems that marketing can't overcome" - Gary W. Keefe

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) (10/05/90)

I write:
> I have been told by a generally reliable source that X works over
> Starlan but not over Ethernet (we are using the cheapernet tap).

I have since found out that my source is not so reliable.  It
turns out that the Open Look stuff comes expecting to talk to the
Interlan TCP/IP driver via /dev/it (found in the Xconnections
file), and the Wollongong driver uses /dev/tcp instead.  Changing
this around fixed everything.

Thanks to the several people who sent notes saying that this was
possible, and especially to Viet Hoang from AT&T Denver whose
several email notes helped us make it all work.

I love the net.

     Steve

--

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (10/14/90)

In article <539@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US> friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) writes:
>I write:
>> I have been told by a generally reliable source that X works over
>> Starlan but not over Ethernet (we are using the cheapernet tap).

StarLan IS ethernet. Starlan 1 is IEEE 802.3 1base2 and Starlan 10 is
IEEE 802.3 10baseT......So much for 'reliable' sources :-)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden