[comp.sys.att] Ports of GNU products to 3B2's

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (09/20/90)

i am interested in finding out what GNU stuff has been ported to the 3B2
(400/500), System V 3.2.1.

i understand that Groff is a reasonable replacement for DWB, but requires
a C++ compiler.

has GNU C been ported to the 3B?
has GNU C++ been ported (or is GNU C a prerequisite)?

has Groff been ported to normal C?

thanx

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.173809.3278@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>i am interested in finding out what GNU stuff has been ported to the 3B2
>(400/500), System V 3.2.1.
>
>i understand that Groff is a reasonable replacement for DWB, but requires
>a C++ compiler.
>
>has GNU C been ported to the 3B?
>has GNU C++ been ported (or is GNU C a prerequisite)?
>
>has Groff been ported to normal C?

One thing at a time.  Groff NEEDS C++.  I tried compiling it
on a 3B15 with AT&T's C++ 2.0, but had no luck.  No biggie, that
system already has the real nroff/troff anyway..

Now, gcc and g++.

Yes folks, there IS a port of the GNU gcc compiler for the 3B2/3B15
line of computers..  G++ requires gcc as a prerequisite.

The bad news?  Of course there's bad news!!!

It is NOT finished, and it's a port of an old version of gcc.  I have
the source to gcc and gdb for the 3B2 on my system at home.  I am
trying to coordinate an effort to complete and modernize this port.
I also have binaries for gcc which I just received.

If you are interested in helping out, contact me at home at
greg@gagme.chi.il.us

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
	uunet!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us

par@hq.af.mil (Paul A. Reitelbach) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep19.173809.3278@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>   i am interested in finding out what GNU stuff has been ported to the 3B2
>   (400/500), System V 3.2.1.

Me too, I am system admin. for 3B2/600 systems.

>   i understand that Groff is a reasonable replacement for DWB, but requires
>   a C++ compiler.

Don't know anything about Groff?

>   has GNU C been ported to the 3B?
>   has GNU C++ been ported (or is GNU C a prerequisite)?

I don't have a working copy of this but I know of someone that says they have
been able to port GNU C to the 3B2.

>   has Groff been ported to normal C?

Don't know?

I have have GNU Emacs, working on my 3B2.  I'm currently working on getting
Bash Shell to work on my 3B2, I don't have it working yet, but again I know
someone that has it working.

Please post any other software that has been ported, as I am interested in
what is out there.
--
Paul A. Reitelbach                  *   There's a way to do it better -
Computer Programmer/Analyst         *   find it.

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Venta) (09/25/90)

In article <PAR.90Sep21090228@hq.af.mil>, par@hq.af.mil (Paul A. Reitelbach) writes:
> I have have GNU Emacs, working on my 3B2.  I'm currently working on getting
> Bash Shell to work on my 3B2, I don't have it working yet, but again I know
> someone that has it working.
>
> Please post any other software that has been ported, as I am interested in
> what is out there.

I work on two 3b2-600, on which i installed smail2.5 and deliver 2.0.1.
Here's what i have..

tetris  (note that it's first in the list, hehe)
arc/zoo/etc.
bash 1.06
ffind
ppscpu  (cpu monitor)
mon386  (the real thing)
patch
micro emacs
gnu tar
obfusc  (c code obfuscator)
xcmalt  (communications program)

plus a bunch of tools...  not much, really.
Oh yeah, i also have a semi-working basic interpreter.
No way, cant compile gcc... a friend now says that maybe there's
a chance to do it, but have no time to check.
Among some useful tools, xvi is a binary editor, very well done.
Dunno if it's copyrighted or nor since it's coming from my
fellows in france.

greets, Paolo
--
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta@otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012

Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) (10/14/90)

 > > Please post any other software that has been ported, as I am interested in
 > > what is out there.

OK, heres a list of what I have fully running here on my 3B2/400 (unless
otherwise stated)...

cosmos - Multi User Full Screen Space Game  EXCELLENT AWSOME PRG!!!
CNEWS  - Compiled & Semi-Alive, Just hackin spacefor's awk prg into running.
renice - Set nice values on any process.  Ported from 3B1
vampire - deamon to automatically lower nice values of CPU HOGGERS
          needs renice.  Ported From XENIX? I think? (needs more work tho)
zoo/compress/ etc...
chat - Multi-User chat program
suw  - Utility to notice unauthorized su's to root.
Zmodem/Xmodem - File transfer Utilities.

Cheers.....
                                  ------- Sir HackAlot -------
                                  ---- oneb!hakatac!rthomas ---

P.S. - You can count me in on the 3B2 users group..

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: Sir Hackalot's Lair (89:684/1)
--
        Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP

eric@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Eric J. Nihill) (10/22/90)

In article <2405.271A3B15@onebdos.UUCP> Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) writes:

> > > Please post any other software that has been ported, as I am interested in
> > > what is out there.
>
>OK, heres a list of what I have fully running here on my 3B2/400 (unless
>otherwise stated)...
>
>cosmos - Multi User Full Screen Space Game  EXCELLENT AWSOME PRG!!!

Where did you get this? Sounds good.

C-News spacefor. AT&T 3B2/310-400

#! /bin/sh
# spacefor - determine available disk space
# About how many things of $1 bytes will fit in the available space for
# stuff of type $2 ("incoming", "articles", "control", "outbound $3",
# or "archive") without cramping things too badly?
#
# You'll have to change this -- your blocksize, minimum-free-desired amounts,
# and df output format will probably differ, and you may need to name
# your filesystems explicitly.

# =()<. ${NEWSCONFIG-@<NEWSCONFIG>@}>()=
. ${NEWSCONFIG-/usr/lib/news/bin/config}

PATH=$NEWSCTL/bin:$NEWSBIN:$NEWSPATH ; export PATH
umask $NEWSUMASK

# punt to server if necessary
if test -r $NEWSCTL/server
then
	server="`cat $NEWSCTL/server`"
	me="`hostname`"
	if test " $server" != " $me"
	then
		exec rsh $server "PATH=$PATH `basename $0` $*"
		# does not return
	fi
fi

# head off special case
case "$1" in
0)	echo 10000 ; exit 0 ;;
esac

# argument to df, df units, and free space desired (in df units)
dfunit=512			# default unit (bytes)
case "$2" in
incoming)	arg="/usr/spool/news" ; desire=5000 ;;
articles)	arg="/usr/spool/news" ; desire=5000 ;;
control)	arg="/usr" ; desire=2000 ;;
outbound)	arg="/usr/spool/news" ; desire=10000 ;;	# ignore $3
archive)	arg="/usr/spool/news" ; desire=1 ;;	# system-specific
*)		echo "$0: bad type argument \`$2'!!" >&2
		exit 2 ;;
esac

# this is set up for the stupid System V df
df $arg | sed "s/.*:/: :/" | awk "BEGIN { nf = 3 ; nr = 1 }
	NR == nr && NF >= nf {
		nb = (\$nf - $desire) * $dfunit / $1
		if (nb > 10000)
			nb = 10000	# ensure representable as integer
		nb = int(nb)
		if (nb <= 0)
			print 0
		else
			print nb
		exit
	}
	NR == nr && NF < nf {		# idiotic Berkeley continuation
		nr += 1
		nf -= 1
	}"
>Cheers.....
>                                  ------- Sir HackAlot -------
>                                  ---- oneb!hakatac!rthomas ---
>
>P.S. - You can count me in on the 3B2 users group..

Ditto!

--
     Some do, some don't.           |       eric@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
    Some will, some won't.          |      ames!pacbell!sactoh0!eric