[comp.sys.att] FM ERRORS

lieualt@guille.ece.orst.edu (Tom Lieuallen) (11/13/90)

   I have very recently started learning about and helping with our
three ATT 3B2/310s.  Unfortunatley, we have hit a new low in their
performance.  All three of them are incapacitated!!

  Two of the ATTs crash while running the self-check and give this error:
FW ERROR 1-02:  DISK SANITY ERROR.   It suggests looking in our System
Administration Unitilities Guide, which refers us again to our ATT service
representative.  Calling ATT would cost far too much.  Does anyone know
what error 1-02 is really trying to tell us?  No, the hard disk is not
locked.

  The third ATT crashes during self-check and give this error:
FW ERROR 1-03:  UNEXPECTED FAULT.  It gives the same solution to our
problem:  Call ATT.  This machine was just running last night.  It has
given this error before, but it has never been this persistent.

  One of the ATTs may very well have a bad hard disk.  It was making
funny sounds.  ATT #2 had its password file corrupted.  And I'm afraid that
I just screwed up ATT #3 while trying to set up a device driver for an
extra hard drive.

  Any help that can be given would be very much appreciated.  Those
machines are dead until we can get some help.  I'm at the end of my rope.
Can someone help?

Tom Lieuallen					support@ece.orst.edu
lieualt@guille.ece.orst.edu

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/13/90)

In article <21718@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> lieualt@guille.ece.orst.edu (Tom Lieuallen) writes:
=FW ERROR 1-02:  DISK SANITY ERROR.

"Additional information can be obtained by using error info."  Some
possibilities are:
	1.  unable to read sector 0 track 0 cylinder 0 into a buffer.
	2.  bad sanity word in s0t0c0 info.
	3.  "     "      "   "   "     "    in the buffer.
	4.  unable to re-initialize the HD controller.
	5.  sanity pattern does not match expected value
	6.  unable to read defect map sector

=FW ERROR 1-03:  UNEXPECTED FAULT.

"...most likely an external memory fault due to a parity error or an
attempted access to an unequipped memory location."

Quotations are from the AT&T 3B2 Computer Error Message Manual.  Worth
its weight in <supply your favorite noun here>!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/14/90)

[ Hmm... The subject line caught my attention since FM was the name of
a project I worked on some years ago.  It stood for "F***ing Magic".
I think you actually meant "FW ERRORS"! ]

[ I notice that several people are having similar problems, thus my
posting. ]

In article <21718@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> lieualt@guille.ece.orst.edu (Tom Lieuallen) writes:
>    I have very recently started learning about and helping with our
> three ATT 3B2/310s.  Unfortunatley, we have hit a new low in their
> performance.  All three of them are incapacitated!!

Yup, a dead machine certainly has poor performance!

>   Two of the ATTs crash while running the self-check and give this error:
> FW ERROR 1-02:  DISK SANITY ERROR.   It suggests looking in our System
> Administration Unitilities Guide, which refers us again to our ATT service
> representative.  Calling ATT would cost far too much.  Does anyone know
> what error 1-02 is really trying to tell us?  No, the hard disk is not
> locked.

This means your disk is either un-formatted, or bad.  Literally the
sanity track on the disk cannot be read, or is garbage.

You can try re-formatting the disk.  To do this you need either
devtools or idtools, which normally come with the "3b2 Maintenance
Manual".  You can get one of those by calling (in the US only)
1-800-828-UNIX, and putting ~$60.00 tab on your credit card (though
you might want to look up the select code in the documentation
catalogue first).  There is also a companion manual listing *all* of
the potential error messages, both from firmware, and from the kernel,
with explanations.  A third manual completes the set, but I can't
recall just what it's all about (they are at home).  Anyone who can't
afford AT&T maintenance really should have this set of manuals.  There
is a fourth manual available to AT&T internal customers only, called
the "3b2 Technical Reference".  I wish I could buy a copy of that one
too!

You also might find a friend nearby with a copy of idtools you could
borrow to work on your disk..

>   The third ATT crashes during self-check and give this error:
> FW ERROR 1-03:  UNEXPECTED FAULT.  It gives the same solution to our
> problem:  Call ATT.  This machine was just running last night.  It has
> given this error before, but it has never been this persistent.

Another way of saying this is "Unexpected Interrupt".  Either your
system board is dead or dying, or some peripheral is.  You need
hardware service on this one.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

eric@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Eric J. Nihill) (11/16/90)

   I know this may sound very basic, however it is worth repeating.

  3B2's, by design, run dirty. They love to suck up every dust ball,
fuzz bunny and sock in the area. Before attempting to boot a old
3B2/300-310-400, take the time to wash down the components. ( 5
minutes in the pot scrub cycle should do it for you ;-) ) After
you have flushed the boards, clean the connnectors. Be sure to use
a product that is designed to clean connectors and does not leave
a film behind.
  I have 'fixed' several 310's this way.

 As for the SANITY TRACK FAILURE, I can not over emphasize the
importance of getting the AT&T 3B2 Computer Maintenance
Reference Manual. It comes with a floppy disk that has several
maintenence programs on it. One program on the disk, idtools,
will be destined to become your best friend. By using idtools,
you can select the Hard Disk Formatt option. This routine will
formatt your disk, then write the sanity track. Another routine
on the disk will just write the sanity track.
 The disk, idtools ( don't get devtools- old stuff! ) will boot
up from firmware mode.

 Other maintence books available are the Error Message Manual,
the Off Line Diagnostic Manual and the Computer Crash Analysis
Guide.

  To order, call 1-800-432-6600. Be sure to specify the computer
model that you have.

					Eric

--
     Some do, some don't.           |       eric@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
    Some will, some won't.          |      ames!pacbell!sactoh0!eric