[comp.sys.att] comp.sys.3b1??

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (11/13/90)

In article <603@nih-csl.nih.gov> crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) writes:

[ ... ]

>I vote for comp.sys.unix-pc, or perhaps comp.sys.3b1 (shorter).

Currently in the unix-pc.* groups there is a lot of confusion with PC users
running things like Xenix.  They think the group is a general discussion group
for PC unices.  The name "comp.sys.3b1" would help eliminate that confusion.
I would recommend that we do something like the current unix-pc.* groups:
	comp.sys.3b1.general
	comp.sys.3b1.sources
	comp.sys.3b1.uucp
It seems to me that these are reasonable groups to have, although the latter
two do not seem to get that much usage.  Perhaps just comp.sys.3b1 would be
adequate.

Does anyone want to start a call for discussion in news.groups?  I don't
run news software at my site, so I couldn't possibly create the groups
if it were passed.  Besides, I'm sure that there is someone out there who
is more knowelagble than I am in the process of creating non-alternative
news groups.

Personally, I'd like to see this.  Anyone else have an opinion?
- sparkie
P.S.	PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not reply to the account from which this article
	was posted.  Instead, reply to:
		harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
	Thanks.

wilber@alice.att.com (Bob Wilber) (11/13/90)

"Sparkie" writes:
>Currently in the unix-pc.* groups there is a lot of confusion with PC users
>running things like Xenix.  They think the group is a general discussion group
>for PC unices.  The name "comp.sys.3b1" would help eliminate that confusion.
>I would recommend that we do something like the current unix-pc.* groups:
>	comp.sys.3b1.general
>	comp.sys.3b1.sources
>	comp.sys.3b1.uucp
>It seems to me that these are reasonable groups to have, although the latter
>two do not seem to get that much usage.  Perhaps just comp.sys.3b1 would be
>adequate.

Like every other sensible person, I would like to see the transformation
unix-pc -> 3b1.  I suggest creating precisely two newsgroups:

	comp.sys.3b1.general
	comp.sys.3b1.sources

When unix-pc.* is not being inundated by newbies with Intel boxes the traffic
is very light and can not really justify the fragmentation into .uucp and
.bugs.  The reason I suggest splitting out comp.sys.3b1.sources is because some
sites may be archiving it.  (Of course, it would help if people didn't post
requests for sources to that group.)  I think the best argument for the
renaming is that right now about two thirds of all unix-pc.* postings are being
cross posted to comp.sys.att (including this one) precisely because "everybody
knows" that unix-pc.* doesn't get distributed to all the people who want to
read it.  Creating comp.sys.3b1.* would eliminate the cross posting and have
the side effect that comp.sys.att would become more useful to everyone with an
AT&T machine that isn't a 3b1.

Bob Wilber    wilber@homxb.att.com

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov12.160511.25395@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) writes:
-> Currently in the unix-pc.* groups there is a lot of confusion with PC users
-> running things like Xenix.  They think the group is a general discussion group
-> for PC unices.  The name "comp.sys.3b1" would help eliminate that confusion.
-> I would recommend that we do something like the current unix-pc.* groups:
-> 	comp.sys.3b1.general
-> 	comp.sys.3b1.sources
-> 	comp.sys.3b1.uucp
-> It seems to me that these are reasonable groups to have, although the latter
-> two do not seem to get that much usage.  Perhaps just comp.sys.3b1 would be
-> adequate.
->
Not that my two cents matters, but I like these groups.  I don't care whether
they are alternate groups or groups buried in comp.sys; I will still want them
on my machine no matter how the heirarchy is.  I can honestly say though, that
I like the "3b1" verbage better than the "unix-pc" wording (too much leadway
for incorrect assumptions w/ "unix-pc").
--
David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

rhaar@rcsrlh.GMR.COM (Bob Haar CS50) (11/13/90)

In article <11610@alice.att.com>, wilber@alice.att.com (Bob Wilber) writes:

|> Like every other sensible person, I would like to see the transformation
|> unix-pc -> 3b1.  I suggest creating precisely two newsgroups:
|>
|> 	comp.sys.3b1.general
|> 	comp.sys.3b1.sources

Sounds good to me. You've got my vote.

	Bob Haar   CSNET: HAAR@GMR.COM  UUCP: uunet!edsews!rphroy!rcsrlh!rhaar
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov12.160511.25395@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu writes:
>In article <603@nih-csl.nih.gov> crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) writes:

>>I vote for comp.sys.unix-pc, or perhaps comp.sys.3b1 (shorter).

>Currently in the unix-pc.* groups there is a lot of confusion with PC users
>running things like Xenix.  They think the group is a general discussion group
>for PC unices.  The name "comp.sys.3b1" would help eliminate that confusion.
>I would recommend that we do something like the current unix-pc.* groups:
>	comp.sys.3b1.general
>	comp.sys.3b1.sources
>	comp.sys.3b1.uucp
>It seems to me that these are reasonable groups to have, although the latter
>two do not seem to get that much usage.  Perhaps just comp.sys.3b1 would be
>adequate.

I visit news.groups occasionally, and have a copy of the current mainstream
newsgroup creation guidelines. I would be willing to shepherd the group(s)
through the tortuous path of newsgroup creation. I have a well-connected
site, and would be willing to collect the votes.

Before I do this, I want to make sure that we are pretty much in agreement
about what we want to do. It seems that there are a lot of people in favor
of this, but there are a number of people who have not been heard from.
What I would like to do is hold a "straw poll", an initial vote to see if
there is a enough support to pass a mainstream group. The list of groups
above looks reasonable. Just send me a simple "yes" or "no" message,
preferable in the subject header - I'll count them by hand. I'll run this
poll for the next two weeks, until the end of November.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw@Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning

vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) (11/19/90)

In article <594@lock60.UUCP>, mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:

> I visit news.groups occasionally, and have a copy of the current mainstream
> newsgroup creation guidelines. I would be willing to shepherd the group(s)
> through the tortuous path of newsgroup creation. I have a well-connected
> site, and would be willing to collect the votes.

	Last week dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US also offered to take a
poll.  I suggest you two combine your efforts and repeat your requests
for a straw poll every other day or so for two weeks.

	Whoever does the counting, please be sure that you have my vote
for comp.sys.3b1.general and comp.sys.3b1.sources.

	I fully believe that we will better serve the general populace
of 7300/3b1 users by having these discussion groups in the mainstream
distribution.  I know the problems which John Ruckster went through to
get connected in Colo. Springs and the troubles I went through before
that.

	I am also aware that there are 7300/3b1 users who post only to
the comp.sys.att group who apparently do not now get the unix-pc.*
distribution.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie			      {ncar,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780

cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) (11/20/90)

In article <234@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>In article <594@lock60.UUCP>, mhw@lock60.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:
>>
>> I visit news.groups occasionally, and have a copy of the current mainstream
>> newsgroup creation guidelines. I would be willing to shepherd the group(s)
>> through the tortuous path of newsgroup creation. I have a well-connected
>> site, and would be willing to collect the votes.
>
>	Last week dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US also offered to take a
>poll.  I suggest you two combine your efforts and repeat your requests
>for a straw poll every other day or so for two weeks.

Well, I'm for it.  And I think I represent a fairly significant, if mostly
silent, community: people who don't have news on their unixpcs, but read it
at work.  It's pretty difficult to persuade a sysadmin to carry an obscure
hierarchy if you're the only one who wants it.  And, because of phone-line,
diskspace, and financial limitations, I can't set up news on my own machine.
	Let me ask another question:  Is there anyone out there who gets
unix-pc.* but couldn't get comp.sys.3b1 if it was created?  If not, it's
clearly time to switch.  Having a separate hierarchy for an obsolete,
quasi-orphaned machine is killing mosquitoes with an H-bomb.

		-Curtis

"I tried living in the real world
 Instead of a shell
 But I was bored before I even began." - The Smiths