[comp.sys.att] 3B2/300 NVRAM SANITY FAILURE

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) (11/13/90)

In article <36122@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, rohn@cis.udel.edu (David C. Rohn) writes:
> I have recently gotten hold of a 3B2/300 running system V. Upon trying to
> boot the machine I get the following:
>
> 	FW ERROR 1-01:	NVRAM SANITY FAILURE
> 			DEFAULT VALUES ASSUMED
> 			IF REPEATED, CHECK THE BATTERY
>
> 	FW ERROR 1-02:	DISK SANITY FAILURE

I had the same kind of panic 5 months ago.
I changed the battery, but no results.
It was a problem of the tape SCSI device. Once i changed it,
everything came back to normality.

As i couldn't guess that, i had tried to enter in magic mode,
and reinstall the root fs from tape (booting from floppy).
How silly... if i had just changed the tape, i wouldn't have
lost a single byte.

In your case, though, there's a DISK SANITY FAILURE which i
don't really remind to have seen on my monitor during those
long hours spent trying to reboot. Could (could) be the SCSI
interface, or really the disk itself.

My experience is based on a 3b2-600, not on a 3b2-300, but
i think that may be this makes no big difference (?).

Please let me know about this problem, could be usefull next
time i get a system crash ;-(

Greets, Paolo
--
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta@otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012

pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Philip A. Gross) (11/28/90)

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:

>In article <36122@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, rohn@cis.udel.edu (David C. Rohn) writes:
>> I have recently gotten hold of a 3B2/300 running system V. Upon trying to
>> boot the machine I get the following:
>>
>> 	FW ERROR 1-01:	NVRAM SANITY FAILURE
>> 			DEFAULT VALUES ASSUMED
>> 			IF REPEATED, CHECK THE BATTERY

This typically is due to the lithium battery running out of juice and needs
to be replaced.  The battery is a TADIRAN TL-5242 3.6V High Energy Lithium
Battery.  You can either pay through the nose to get it from AT&T or check
out a PC magazine to find the name of a computer battery supplier who may
carry this type of battery.  You will have to remove the card cage from
the motherboard in order to install the replacement.

>> 	FW ERROR 1-02:	DISK SANITY FAILURE

This may be fixed by using the IDTOOLS diskette that comes with the AT&T
3B2 Maintenance Reference Manual.  There is an option when using this
diskette for fixing a disk's sanity.  Otherwise, at the worst you might
have to reformat and partition the drive, etc.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)