[comp.sys.att] comp.sys.3b1?

ruck@sphere.UUCP (John R Ruckstuhl Jr) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov3.045636.12735@cs.ucla.edu>, kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:
> Why not just move the whole unix-pc tree under comp.sys.unix-pc, which
> is clearly where it belonged in the first place?

Surely you'll get many replies, saying essentially: "unix-pc has a
separate hierarchy because it evolved separately, ie is separate for
historical reasons", and "it hasn't been integrated with the 'comp'
hierarchy because there is no true benefit to doing so".  Some will
argue that "no one can have real troubles getting unix-pc if they make
just a small effort".  Likely, several people will generously offer a
feed of the unix-pc newsgroups, or suggest ways to gain access - perhaps
via the digest that Scott Hazen Mueller kindly mails.

I now offer a mild rebuttal in the form of a counterexample from my
personal experiences.

At my previous residence in Colorado Springs, my 3b1, sphere, began
exchanging news with hp-lsd.  I was (am) a novice at news
administration, and it took one month for me to realize that although
hp-lsd claimed to be forwarding me unix-pc, I was seeing only parts of
some discussions in that newsgroup.  Soon I discovered an explanation -
I was seeing only those unix-pc articles which were cross-posted to
comp.sys.att (a newsgroup in the "standard" distribution).  I studied
the paths of articles.  The path was usually pretty consistant for about
6 hops, from hp-lsd to hp-sdd (California), because most sites in HP ran
"notes" instead of some form of "news", and didn't have the ability to
exchange articles by NNTP (so HP sites exchanged with each other rather
than exchange with other well-connected sites).  hp-sdd was the
demarcation - they exchanged news with the "outside" world.  So any of 6
upstream sites could be the bottleneck.  I wrote system administrators
upstream and asked politely about unix-pc  (notes doesn't support the
"sendsys" control message, so I couldn't get this information
automatically).  Some never responded.  Some responded that they didn't
carry unix-pc, but would start (thanks hp-sdd, hpcc01, hp-col).  Mike
Rodriquez at hplabs said, essentially, "I *won't* carry it because I
don't see that it is beneficial to HP".  I wrote back asking him to
reconsider, hoping that he wouldn't apply a criterion to unix-pc that he
wouldn't apply to, say, rec.arts.tv.soaps.  This logic, and a "spirit of
USENET" appeal failed to persuade him.

Concurrently with investigating the HP path, I looked at alternative
sources in Colorado Springs.  DEC had an entry in the maps, so I called
the system administrator listed.  He'd relocated, and his replacement
was out of town for 2 weeks.  I was unable to find his alternate.  I
reached him a few weeks later, and he did indeed receive unix-pc from
some DEC-hub somewhere, but he was uncomfortable UUCP'ing outside DEC
for "security" reasons, and I didn't feel I had the right to argue with
him, since supporting news exchange is a courtesy rather than an
obligation (in my opinion).
The local branch of University of Colorado was well-fed from UC Boulder,
but according to the persons I spoke with, they couldn't provide
telephone access because they didn't have the proper hardware.

All other sites in Colorado Springs that I knew about (from the
regularly posted UUCP maps) were fed solely by hp-lsd.

I then made contact with a system administrator at Cray (thanks, David
Keaton, Peter Hill) who had an !independent! feed via NNTP with
University of Denver who exchanged news with UC Boulder, who exchanged
news with ncar who I !knew! was well-connected.  They generously allowed
me to poll them for unix-pc.  I was elated!  I saw unix-pc articles
which hadn't been cross-posted to comp.sys.att, so I believed I finally
had a healthy feed.

But two weeks later, I became suspicious again when someone referred to
a posting in unix-pc.sources that I never saw.  I did a "sendsys".
Everyone in ncar!boulder!upikes!aspen!sphere looked fine!  So I wrote
these system administrators, and determined there was a bottleneck at
upikes.  Aha!  A week later, after a few unreturned letters and calls,
I spoke with Randy Hagan at upikes who was quite pleasant, and explained
that awhile ago, he'd removed unix-pc from the active file (Ah, I wasn't
a sophisticated enough news administrator to think of that possibility).
But how did I get the occasional articles which had been posted only to
unix-pc, I wondered.  He'd accidently left unix-pc.bugs active, so I was
just seeing articles which had been (cross-)posted to that newsgroup.
He soon reactivated all of the unix-pc newsgroups, and !finally! I had a
healthy newsfeed.

The interval between original attempt to subscribe to unix-pc and
acquiring a healthy newsfeed was 6 months (obviously I didn't work on
this full time, but I think I did make considerable effort).

I think this is perhaps the most long-winded article I've ever posted.
Readers, please accept my apologies.

1.  The bottlenecks such as at hplabs and upikes would be much less
    likely if unix-pc newsgroups were part of the "standard"
    distribution rather than an "alternative" hierarchy.  I believe
    moving into "comp" would increase distribution of the newsgroups.
    I think this alone justifies such a move.

2.  I will gladly concede that it is easy for anyone to gain access to
    unix-pc if one is willing to pay, but I assert that news exchange
    via local telephone call to a friendly neighbor is preferred to a
    toll call or paid subscription to a service.  Some very, very,
    generous individual in ?RI? once offered to call 3b1's that couldn't
    get a local feed (did I really read that right?), but some of us
    prefer not to receive calls because we share one telephone line for
    data and voice.

My experiences have made me more knowledgeable, but I wish them on no one.
I hope that my letter convinces others that it is possible to have
difficulties acquiring a free feed for unix-pc, and that in the interest
of greater distribution of the newsgroup, they will vote for a move if
and when such a voting opportunity occurs (even if they themselves do
not anticipate access difficulties).

> This would also allow us to separate out discussions of 3b1's and 3b2's
> and 6386's, which have nothing really to do with each other.

The mechanism to separate those discussions do with other machines
already exists, viz unix-pc, u3b, and comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Best Regards,
John.
--
John R Ruckstuhl, Jr	ruck%sphere@cis.ufl.edu, sphere!ruck
University of Florida 	ruck@cis.ufl.edu, uflorida!ruck

ruck@sphere.UUCP (John R Ruckstuhl Jr) in <315@sphere.UUCP> writes, among
other things:

"	... Some never responded.  Some responded that they didn't
	carry unix-pc, but would start (thanks hp-sdd, hpcc01, hp-col).  Mike
	Rodriquez at hplabs said, essentially, "I *won't* carry it because I
	don't see that it is beneficial to HP".  I wrote back asking him to
	reconsider, hoping that he wouldn't apply a criterion to unix-pc that
	he wouldn't apply to, say, rec.arts.tv.soaps.  This logic, and a
	"spirit of USENET" appeal failed to persuade him.
"

Yow!  My commendations on your sleuthing!  I was wondering what was happening
there, esp. after NUMEROUS times when the entire unix-pc.* hierarchy would
disappear within minutes after arriving, as if someone manually deleted just
those files (but leaving on-line a lot of "other" notesgroups that *I* would
call questionable and of no possible benefit to HP).  And, no, I don't work
at H-P Labs, I just occasionally read stuff while there visiting colleagues,
attending the Computer Colloquium, etc.

The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

dts@quad.sialis.mn.org (David Sandberg) (11/12/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
>case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
>sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
>other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
>vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

My first thought is suggest either comp.sys.3b1.* or comp.sys.7300.*;
anything but unix-pc again.  It would be nice to put an end to the
steady stream of IBM PC articles which manage to find their way into
this forum.

--
 \\         David Sandberg         \                             \\
 //      dts@quad.sialis.com       /  "Mobility?  We don't need  //

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (11/12/90)

YES! YES!  I vote for comp.sys.att.3b1 or 7300 as well.  unix-pc may be
the name, but we've all heard the story of a boy named Sue.  I'm tired
of wading through IBM PC stuff.

				Jeff

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (11/12/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
>case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.

As with the original thread of this discussion, I would be more inclined
to make it comp.sys.3b1.*, rather than comp.sys.unix-pc.  Already, we have
had several instances of people who have mistakenly posted to this hierarchy
thinking it was for PCs running UNIX.

I was mildly upset at the thought of the unix-pc hierarchy being so loosely
held-together, as was suggested by the article that Thad followed-up to.
Although making this hierarchy part of comp.sys would solve some problems,
I wonder how much of the comp hierarchy has been censored out before
being fed to downstream feeds.
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil@limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas

manson@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Manson) (11/12/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I

I don't have any arguments for or against moving the groups to
something under comp.sys, but I do want to strongly suggest NOT using
the name "unix-pc" in the group. comp.sys.3b1 sounds much better, and
won't confuse neophytes into posting questions about running Unix on
an IBM-PC thingy.

I would also encourage giving some thought into renaming the hierarchy
to something besides unix-pc.*, if the consensus turns out to be to
keep the current arrangement. Not that it's a big deal seeing an
occasional post about "can I boot both DOS and Unix on my 286 box",
but it is annoying and could be avoided. (Admittedly, I really
wouldn't have thought that someone would confuse "unix-pc" to mean
Unix running on IBM-PCs, but now that we know...)
						Bob
manson@cis.ohio-state.edu

randy@cctb.wa.com (Randy Orrison) (11/13/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
| The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
| case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
| sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
| other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
| vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

I also agree that moving into the comp heirarchy is a good idea, though
I do prefer the name comp.sys.3b1.xxx, since we have enough people
confusing us with PCs running unix.  I'm not worried that anyone will
try to exclude discussions of 7300s, any more than we currently exclude
CT MiniFrames and our other cousins.

So, what groups do we want?

    comp.sys.3b1
    comp.sources.3b1

or

    comp.sys.3b1.general
    comp.sys.3b1.uucp
    comp.sys.3b1.bugs
    comp.sys.3b1.sources

The first set will probably be easier to pass, and there really isn't a
lot of traffic on the uucp and bugs groups.

How about it?  Anyone willing to read the guidelines and do this right?

    -randy
--
Randy Orrison			Chemical Computer Thinking Battery
uunet!microsoft!cctb!randy			 randy@cctb.wa.com

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (11/13/90)

In article <315@sphere.UUCP> ruck@sphere.UUCP (John R Ruckstuhl Jr) writes:
>    via local telephone call to a friendly neighbor is preferred to a
>    toll call or paid subscription to a service.  Some very, very,
>    generous individual in ?RI? once offered to call 3b1's that couldn't
>    get a local feed (did I really read that right?), but some of us

Well, that would be me.  Yes, you read correctly and the offer still stands.
I will provide a unix-pc feed to anyone that asks.  If you can call me that
is fine but if you cant that is fine also.  Note that if I call you the
offer is limited to unix-pc.* only, no other groups and no mail (except for
mail directly to someone on my machine).  I get a full unix-pc feed here
from a handle of sites around the country and my main feed gets their feed
from uunet.

I am a firm believer in alternate heirarchies but am willing to concede that
maybe we should consider creating a main stream group to talk about the
machines.  What I would like to ask people to do is to send me mail letting
me know their opinions about the following newsgroup proposals:

Proposal 1: Create a group called comp.sys.3b1 specifically for discussions
about the 3b1/7300.  One of the things we could do in this group is to have
a periodic posting that not only explained what the unix-pc.* groups were
but gave explicit instructions on how to obtain a feed if you did not
already have one.

Proposal 2: Move the unix-pc heirarchy into the mainstream by creating the
following groups:  comp.sys.3b1.general, comp.sys.3b1.sources,
comp.sys.3b1.uucp, and comp.sys.3b1.bugs.  Existing unix-pc.* sites would
then alias the old groups to the new names.

Proposal 3: No change.

If enough people respond that they want some form of mainstream group then I
will submit a formal call for discussion to news.announce.newgroups and we
can hash it out in detail.  If the overwhelming majority votes for no change
then I will consider the matter closed.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com

floyd@hayes.ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (11/13/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>| The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
>| case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
>| sincerely wish I could devote the time myself, but I've taken on so many
>| other activities that I have no additional "free" time.  I would definitely
>| vote "YES" if someone sends out a formal request to form the newsgroup.

There is one more reason for doing this that I've not seen mentioned yet.
We have a old discontinued computer here, and over the next few years it
is going to fade away completely.  Sad but true.  If it is sometimes
hard to get a mainline connection to these groups now, how hard is it
going to be in 3-4 years?  And it is going to get more difficult to
make it part of comp.sys too as time goes on.

It may be a case of do it now or it will never be possible.  And five
years from now those who still have a desire/need for this group will
be able to get it almost anywhere.  If it remains an alt group it'll
gradually become very difficult (read that as expensive) for those on
the fringe to get access.

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson   floyd@hayes.ims.alaska.edu    floydd@chinet.chi.il.us
Salcha, AK 99714    connected by paycheck to Alascom, Inc.

sparkie@khan.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) (11/15/90)

In article <35841@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

[ ... ]

>The above, coupled with John's other anecdotes, presents a VERY compelling
>case to initiate inquiry into forming a comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy.  I
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[ ... ]

This is probably pre-mature, since we haven't even had a call for discussion,
yet, BUT! before that happens, whoever does organize the call for discussion,
should consider what we call the hierarchy.  I currently have access to
the unix-pc.* groups and it's very nice.  It's also very ANNOYING when some
bozo who doesn't have a hint as to what an AT&T Unix PC is posts some dumb
question about running Xenix on his '386 box.  I would suggest that we call
the hierarchy comp.sys.3b1.* to avoid the confusion.

I just want to remind whomever might organize this venture, to have that
be addressed in the call for discussion, and subsequent call for votes.

$.02
- sparkie
P.S.	Please Please Please do not reply to the account from which this
	was posted.  Instead, reply to one of the following:
		harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
		sparkie@picard.cs.wisc.edu
	tnx.
--
 ___  ___  ___  ___  _  _  _  ___
/ __\| . \/ . \| . \| |/ /|_|| _ |

jtk@dhump.lakesys.COM (Joe Klein) (11/15/90)

I like the idea of comp.sys.3b1.general & comp.sys.3b1.sources.
Should we spend more bandwidth on this, or should we set up a vote.
I wish to call the vote!
--
Friends: people who borrow my books and set wet glasses on them.
Joseph T. Klein              (414) 372-4454       	 jtk@rwmke.lakesys.com

sparkie@khan.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) in
<1990Nov15.053246.10492@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> writes re: my "en passant" comment
concerning forming a  comp.sys.unix-pc.* hierarchy:

	It's also very ANNOYING when some [one] who doesn't have a hint as to
	what an AT&T Unix PC is posts some dumb question about running Xenix
	on his '386 box.  I would suggest that we call the hierarchy
	comp.sys.3b1.* to avoid the confusion.

	I just want to remind whomever might organize this venture, to have
	that be addressed in the call for discussion, and subsequent call for
	votes.

My original comment was intended solely to identify the "nature" of the group,
not its name.

Either *.3b1.* or *.7300.* or even *.pc7300.* would be reasonable alternatives.
Beginning with a digit means the group also appears at the head of the list!

Personally, I wish there was nomenclature consistency regarding the UNIXPC.
The term "UNIXPC" is a blanket for both the 7300 and the 3B1.  Consider that
when one browses an archive site, the strings "3b1", "3B1", "7300", "unixpc",
"unix-pc", "UnixPC", "Unix-PC", "UnixPc", "Unix-Pc", "UNIXPC" and "UNIX-PC"
need be sought as possible repositories of goodies for "our" system  (yep, I've
seen all these combinations).  Even at osu-cis the UNIXPC archives are
cataloged under "pub/att7300/".

And the confusion re: "UNIXPC" and "PC UNIX" is real.  Our user group has
insertions in COMPUTER SHOPPER, Microtimes, Computer Currents, San Jose
Mercury News, and elsewhere, and about half the calls I receive I refer to Dan
Kionka's "PC UNIX" group which also meets at the same address (AT&T Building)
but caters primarily to people with PC or PC-clones running Xenix, Minix, and
other UNIX-like kernels.  Dan and I joke about this, and it's not a real
problem as many people eventually attend both meetings and also the SVnet UNIX
group (which ALSO meets at the AT&T building) simply due to the varied topics
at each different groups' meetings.

Simply because it's faster to type, I'd prefer "3b1" as the hierarchy root.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

david@dbk.uucp (David Kozinn) (11/16/90)

In article <35955@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>Either *.3b1.* or *.7300.* or even *.pc7300.* would be reasonable alternatives.
>Beginning with a digit means the group also appears at the head of the list!

From reading these postings, it seems to me that most of us are in
agreement that using 3b1 instead of unix-pc is A Good Thing. Has there been
any great outcry of disagreement? I haven't seen any. Do we need to keep
beating this part of the discussion endlessly?
--
David Kozinn
UUCP:   uunet!vmp!dbk!david

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (11/17/90)

In article <20@dhump.lakesys.COM>, jtk@dhump.lakesys.COM (Joe Klein) writes:
> I like the idea of comp.sys.3b1.general & comp.sys.3b1.sources.
> Should we spend more bandwidth on this, or should we set up a vote.
> I wish to call the vote!

I think it's time we take this further.  What the next step is I'm not sure;
do we call for a vote, a discussion, what?  Actually, haven't we been doing
the discussion part for the past two weeks?  Someone with experience in
doing this type of thing speak up and enlighten us!  BTW, my $.02 goes
with the above idea 100%.

DAS
--
David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov16.141504.5463@dbk.uucp> david@dbk.uucp (David Kozinn) writes:
>In article <35955@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>Either *.3b1.* or *.7300.* or even *.pc7300.* would be reasonable alternatives.
>>Beginning with a digit means the group also appears at the head of the list!

Beginning with a digit raised a flag at first pause, but I remembered
that this is only a problem for names of news hierarchies -- changing
unix-pc to 3b1 (e.g. 3b1.general) wouldn't work.  But comp.sys.3b1 is
fine.

There must be at least one non-digit in each piece of the name though,
meaning comp.sys.7300 is not acceptable.

>From reading these postings, it seems to me that most of us are in
>agreement that using 3b1 instead of unix-pc is A Good Thing.

I certainly agree with that.  And I suspect 3b1 is better than 7300 or
pc7300 -- some people may confuse the latter with 6300 and again think
Intel garbage, while most 3b2 (and other 3b*) people know enough to
know that a 3b1 is a different critter.

*IF* there is a change, my vote goes for the *.3b1.* naming scheme.

--
Karl Swartz			 |INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-408/223-1308			 |UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls

john@sco.COM (John R. MacMillan) (11/21/90)

|From reading these postings, it seems to me that most of us are in
|agreement that using 3b1 instead of unix-pc is A Good Thing. Has there been
|any great outcry of disagreement? I haven't seen any. Do we need to keep
|beating this part of the discussion endlessly?

I agree.  Let's beat a new part.

First, I suggest we at least try to agree amongst ourselves before
going to a real CFD and vote, so that we present a (relatively) united
front.  I doubt we could win a vote if the unix-pc community is
divided.

Second, I haven't yet seen a list of the pros and cons of moving
unix-pc into comp.  I wasn't around at the beginning, so I don't know
why it hasn't always been there, but there must have been reasons for
creating the first alternate hierarchy.  Unless I get some sense that
those reasons don't hold anymore, I'm inclined to go with the ``if it
works, don't fix it'' school.

If we do move to comp, I would suggest the groups:

comp.sources.3b1
comp.sys.3b1 or comp.sys.3b1.general

The sources group would then fit with *all* the other sources groups
under comp.  I think it would be hard to win support for
comp.sys.3b1.sources because none of the other machine-centric groups
do it that way (take a look at the amiga groups, for instance).

As for the general group, blah.general would allow for easier
expansion under blah, but since we've never seen such expansion under
unix-pc, this is of questionable value.

One last thing: whether we move under comp or not, what do people
think of making the sources group ``loosely moderated''?  The
moderator would post any 3b1 source or patches, and just screen out
non-source postings.  Then we could use some sort of volume/issue
scheme like various other source groups, so you'd know when you missed
stuff, and to make it easier to archive, and easier to refer to stuff
(``That was in volume 2'' versus ``That was a while ago'').
--
John R. MacMillan       | I'm in love with a McDonald's girl
SCO Canada, Inc.        | She's an angel in a polyester uniform.

donlash@uncle.uucp (Donald Lashomb) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.054429.1994@uncle.uucp> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
[...]
>I don't think we would warrent a comp.sources.3b1. I would suggest posting
>sources right in comp.sys.3b1, but only by a designated poster (moderator),
[...]

I don't like the idea of limiting the posting of sources to only one person.
I understand that source postings are great bandwidth eaters at times.
However, there doesn't seem to be an over-abundance of bandwidth-eating
in unix-pc.sources now, I doubt that there would be much in a new group
either.  Let anybody who has source to share do so without hassles.

+$.02

Don		donlash@uncle.UUCP

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.001913.17990@uncle.uucp>, donlash@uncle.uucp (Donald Lashomb) writes:
>In article <1990Nov26.054429.1994@uncle.uucp> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>[...]
>>I don't think we would warrent a comp.sources.3b1. I would suggest posting
>>sources right in comp.sys.3b1, but only by a designated poster (moderator),
>[...]
>
>I don't like the idea of limiting the posting of sources to only one person.
>I understand that source postings are great bandwidth eaters at times.
>However, there doesn't seem to be an over-abundance of bandwidth-eating
>in unix-pc.sources now, I doubt that there would be much in a new group
>either.  Let anybody who has source to share do so without hassles.

The copy of the guidelines I have (although rather outdated - 1987) says
that sources must go under comp.sources.xxxx and MUST be moderated.  I
think it would be safe to assume (yes I know, "never assume.....") that
the net.guardians will swamp us with "no" votes if we don't follow this
"commandment."

About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor that modern
                kitchen appliances would sneer at...."
                   - Dave Trowbridge, _Computer Technology Review_, Aug 90

                                     iwblsys\
rlw@ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/
    rel.mi.org is currently sick - back in 2 weeks.

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov28.001913.17990@uncle.uucp> donlash@uncle.UUCP (Donald Lashomb) writes:
> I don't like the idea of limiting the posting of sources to only one person.
> I understand that source postings are great bandwidth eaters at times.
> However, there doesn't seem to be an over-abundance of bandwidth-eating
> in unix-pc.sources now, I doubt that there would be much in a new group
> either.  Let anybody who has source to share do so without hassles.

Unfortunately, free posting access can lead to trouble too.  I've seen
a lot of software posted to sub-net (alt-net?) groups like unix-pc,
which is entirely pointless.  I.e. an entire package will be posted by
someone who has proudly modified the makefile only so that it will
compile on the particular machine in question.  While this may
sometimes be of an advantage to those sites receiving *only* the
sub-net, and not the group(s) where the original package was first
posted, I think the must be a better way!

Not to mention the fact that if minor changes (eg. mods to a makefile)
are sent back to the original author, a proper official patch will
likely be issued, but if a customised version of a package is released
by a third party, it is likely to be orphaned.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada