[comp.sys.att] 3B1 power supplies and 3.51

grant@g73.UUCP (Grant Balkema) (11/30/90)

So I have determined that my 3B1 power supply is blown (swap from
another): given a typical electronics shop at an University can it be
fixed, in other words, is there a common problem to most of these
breakdowns (Wow what a cheezey power supply, when was the last time a DEC
power supply bit the dust).  So if failing the above, anybody want to sell
me one (Thad's 3B1 PS 1610-1 D-65-00056-01, REV. A; 20A 5V, 2A 12V, .3A -12V).

I have one machine with System V version 3.0 and the other with 3.51, can
I, using my STARLAN or floppies, simply copy 3.51 from one machine to the
other? Does anybody have any Documentation they would be willing to sell me
re. 3.51. Or perhaps the Foundation set plus the Documentation.

Can one buy (anybody?) an Ethernet card (plus software) and put the
machines on an Ethernet? (Seems reasonable to me)?

Apparently these machines were setup to serve a bunch of IBM PC's with
various Word perfect and Spread sheets.  So this stuff is basically
useless unless I have a bunch of PC's, right? Any help is appreciated
			...grant balkema
--

		...harvard!g73!grant		(617) 552-8722
		...mirror!g73!grant

grant@g73.UUCP (Grant Balkema) in <89@g73.UUCP> writes:

	[...]
	Can one buy (anybody?) an Ethernet card (plus software) and put the
	machines on an Ethernet? (Seems reasonable to me)?

	Apparently these machines were setup to serve a bunch of IBM PC's with
	various Word perfect and Spread sheets.  So this stuff is basically
	useless unless I have a bunch of PC's, right? Any help is appreciated

The Ether cards are available ... about as scarce as hen's teeth.

There are numerous 3B1 systems directly on the "Internet"; this is possible
BECAUSE of the Ethernet card.

If I could put, say, 1 or 2 GB HDs on the 3B1, I'd probably only have one
with another as a backup.  As it is, I have four 3B1 and two MiniFrame
interconnected with a combo of Ethernet and StarLAN simply for the "mass"
disk storage available.  The "server" aspect for PCs was touted primarily
with the StarLAN setup, not the Ethernet.  I don't have ANY "PC"s.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

murphyn@motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) (12/04/90)

grant@g73.UUCP (Grant Balkema) writes:

>breakdowns (Wow what a cheezey power supply, when was the last time a DEC
>power supply bit the dust).  So if failing the above, anybody want to sell

I recall VAX powersupplies going bad, DEC-20 backplanes malfunctioning, but
those stories belong in the DEC newsgroups.

NPN