[comp.sys.att] cpio

mef@remus.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) (11/28/90)

A while ago I cpio'd some stuff to multiple diskettes.
It is possible to cpio large files or a collection of
files out to multiple diskettes.  Unfortunately, I forgot
how to cpio them all back from the disks to the hard disk.
Cann anyone tell me what the args are for cpio to read in files
from multiple disks!!!

Thanks,

Marc
mef@cs.rutgers.edu
Marc Fiuczynski                                 |       mef@remus.rutgers.edu
						|       mef@klinzhai.rutgers.edu
Rpo 5814, Po Box 5063                           |
New Brunswick, NJ 08903                         |       Tel.: (908)/878-9388

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (11/29/90)

In article <Nov.27.21.57.00.1990.19848@remus.rutgers.edu> mef@remus.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) writes:
>A while ago I cpio'd some stuff to multiple diskettes.
>It is possible to cpio large files or a collection of
>files out to multiple diskettes.  Unfortunately, I forgot
>how to cpio them all back from the disks to the hard disk.
>Cann anyone tell me what the args are for cpio to read in files
>from multiple disks!!!

You need to cpio to the raw device when going over multiple volumes.

For SysV/386, use:

cpio -ocvmB >/dev/rdsk/f0
                  ^ raw disk device
                       ^floppy 0

Reading back:
cpio -icvdmB </dev/rdsk/f0

If you want to start on a disk that is NOT the first one, use the 'k' option.
cpio -icvdmBk </dev/rdsk/f0

The 'k' option will ignore the header info.

Use the 'u' option if you want to overwrite files with the same name.

For 3B2, the raw floppy device is '/dev/rdiskette'

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/06/90)

In article <141@genco.bungi.com>, rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes
about cpio to multiple floppies, and gives the example for the 386:

> cpio -ocvmB >/dev/rdsk/f0

Then mentions:

> For 3B2, the raw floppy device is '/dev/rdiskette'

Note that on the 3B2, do NOT use the -B argument when dealing with
the raw device.  A floppy has 1422 blocks, and this is not an integral
number of 10-block chunks, and cpio on the 3B2 seems to require this.
If you're using Sys V Rel 3 and you want more buffering, use -C 9216
(9 kbytes).

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"If it doesn't core dump, ship it" - Gary W. Keefe, on product development