[comp.sys.att] lint on unix-pc / 3b1

pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (12/06/90)

I have been writing a project on the 3b1 at home and a SUN sparcstation
at work. The systems are amazingly compatible! (As long as you write
portable code.) Anyway, I use saber-C at work (a wonderful product)
and lint at home on the unix-pc.

A problem with the 3b1 lint arises because it does not accept the
standard C preprocessor defines. The manual makes no reference
to the -D option! As far as the functions I use there are not
many differences but there are a few. So how can I fake lint
into seeing the defines I need without changing the source files?

I tried cc -P which just runs the preprocessor and creates .i files
but lint doesn't like these. I guess I could kludge something
up with m4 but that sure does seem ugly.

Anyone else have frustrations with unix-pc lint?

Tom Pusateri
Duke University
pusateri@cs.duke.edu
pusateri@nbsr.duke.edu

alex@BlackKiss.acslab.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) (12/07/90)

I gave up on lint and started using

	gcc -ansi -pedantic -Wall

instead. If you're looking for portability between machines and
have an ansi compiler available (gcc, saber C, etc), it works real good.
#################################		           :alex.
#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #                 Systems Programmer
#with me deserves what they get.#    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#################################	    alex@umbc3.umbc.edu

tkacik@rphroy.uucp (Tom Tkacik) (12/07/90)

In article <4632@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex@BlackKiss.acslab.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) writes:
|> I gave up on lint and started using
|>
|> 	gcc -ansi -pedantic -Wall
|>
|> instead. If you're looking for portability between machines and
|> have an ansi compiler available (gcc, saber C, etc), it works real good.

Unfortunately, the include files on the 3b1 are NOT ansi compatible.
I tried this, and gcc spits out gobs of error messages.

Have you updated all of the standard include files on your 3b1?
Are there any problems using the stock cc if you do?

--
Tom Tkacik				...uunet!edsews!rphroy!tkacik
GM Research Labs			tkacik@kyzyl.mi.org

bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) (12/07/90)

In article <660450630@romeo.cs.duke.edu> pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) writes:
> [ ... ]
>A problem with the 3b1 lint arises because it does not accept the
>standard C preprocessor defines. The manual makes no reference
>to the -D option! As far as the functions I use there are not
>many differences but there are a few. So how can I fake lint
>into seeing the defines I need without changing the source files?
> [ ... ]
>Anyone else have frustrations with unix-pc lint?

I haven't used lint in about a year -- gcc's -Wall option does a pretty
good job at replacing lint.  However, back when I was using lint, I made a
few changes to /usr/bin/lint (a shell script) to fix a few problems (e.g.
"lint" is supposed to be pre-defined, but wasn't).

If there's enough interest, I'll be happy to post diff's.

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM