[comp.sys.att] need refresher course on DC600A / AT&T STU problems

aland@infmx.informix.com (Colonel Panic) (11/29/90)

Sorry to rehash this, but our news host is eating articles again.

If anybody saved the thread about AT&T 120/125 MB STU tape problems
with DC600A tapes (and the suggested replacement model, info on
firmware/driver updates, etc.), please email it to me!  Thanks
in advance.

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

"When will Apple get socially responsible and offer separate trash can
 icons for glass, aluminum, and paper?"
  - Lincoln Spector

john@banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) (11/30/90)

Here's what I've got on the thread:

In article <1990Nov13.195548.17967@DMI.USherb.CA> beauchem@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) writes:
>Hi everybody,
>
>We are plaged by a "I/O Error on write(), errno 5, I/O Error" message almost
>every time we use our 120 MB tape drives (we have 3 on different 6386 systems).
>Could someone tell me what is the cause of these errors?
>
>I know it's related to hardware, but changing the tape drive or the media
>doesn't make it go away.  We can't do reliable backups because of that!  Help!
>(and AT&T isn't very helpful either)
>
>Please answer by email since I cannot keep up with this list...

Here's an answer for the rest of the net (just in case):

We have had similar errors on machines all over the place.  This
summer, AT&T announced (very quietly) that the only recommended tape
for the 6386 125MB tape drive is the DC-6150.  Other tapes (such
as the DC-600A, which used to be recommended), have turned out
not to work reliably.

AT&T recommends replacing a tape after 30 complete read/writes.  They
also recommend cleaning the tape heads weekly, and especially after
using a brand new tape.

We have found that once you get an I/O error #5, you must either
reboot the system, or issue the command tapectl -r.  Both actions
appear to reset the tape drive, which seems like a necessary step.

Now, if only AT&T would add this information to their user's manual...

John Canning					...uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!john
The People's Computer Company			...attmail!banzai!john
Williston, Vermont				john@banzai.pcc.com
802-864-0747

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/06/90)

->Sorry to rehash this, but our news host is eating articles again.
->
->If anybody saved the thread about AT&T 120/125 MB STU tape problems
->with DC600A tapes (and the suggested replacement model, info on
->firmware/driver updates, etc.), please email it to me!  Thanks
->in advance.

Well, not exactly what you where looking for BUT:

I am looking to find something reliable to put in my 6386E.  When I called
the local Wantek rep, he sayeth:

1. AT&T is now using Wangtek drives, in particular 5150pk's;

2. He thought the 30 pass limit on tapes was crazy; they recommend 200 passes;

3. He suggested that I avoid the DC600A tapes and only get DC600XTD tapes;
something about having additional rollers and guides and being more reliable.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

In article <149@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>3. He suggested that I avoid the DC600A tapes and only get DC600XTD tapes;
>something about having additional rollers and guides and being more reliable.

If you are buying new tapes get the 6150's.  If you already have DC600A's,
be sure to make an erase pass or two before writing to them.  I had lots
of trouble with old 3b2 tapes before I discovered this.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (12/09/90)

->In article <149@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
->
->>3. He suggested that I avoid the DC600A tapes and only get DC600XTD tapes;
->>something about having additional rollers and guides and being more reliable.
->
->If you are buying new tapes get the 6150's.  If you already have DC600A's,
->be sure to make an erase pass or two before writing to them.  I had lots
->of trouble with old 3b2 tapes before I discovered this.
->

Actually, the DC6150 or DC6250 is reputed to BE the new name for the DC600XTD...