[comp.sys.att] Help on joining the network

slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) (12/05/90)

We are about to become part of the real networking world.
We now have access to the internal network here at Pitt and
I need some help in configuring WIN/3B on the 3b2.

Currently five PC AT's and the 3b2 sit on a lan in one room.
The current configuration for the 3b2 is:

		NOT a nameserver
		NOT a resolver
		is on network 136 (the internet address will be
					136.142.193.10)
		will handle ftp, telnet, mail, finger, and ping
		had ROUTE daemon activated

I now know the network addresses of (for me) the primary and secondary
nameservers on the Pitt network, as well as the internet address
of the gateway.

Could someone provide some guidance on how I want to reconfigure the 3b2?

(By agreement with the owners of the nameservers, we will stay out of the
nameserver business)

The WIN/3B is 3.0.1 (the safer one).

Thanks
john slimick
university of pittsburgh at bradford
bradford pa

slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu

dsc3rjs@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (Bob Stratton) (12/11/90)

In article <67472@unix.cis.pitt.edu> slimick@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) writes:

>Could someone provide some guidance on how I want to reconfigure the 3b2?

I'll try.

>(By agreement with the owners of the nameservers, we will stay out of the
>nameserver business)

By that, I assume that you mean you don't want to "become" a Domain Name
server. You then have several options:

 - Create an /etc/resolv.conf file with the addresses of the name servers
   you wish to _resolve_ to. (This is by far the easiest.)

 - Run a "caching-only" name server. This means you will have all of the
   functionality of a name server on the 3B2 in question, but that it will
   not service requests from other machines. (Faster, but more complicated
   to implement.)

 If you just want basic name service, and don't mind a little delay on
 queries, just throw a couple of lines in /etc/resolv.conf. It's very
 easy to configure, and works automagically. Just REMEMBER to delete the
 file if you ever want to run "named" on your 3B2.

--
Bob Stratton		| dsc3rjs@nmdsc{20 | 10}.nmdsc.nnmc.navy.mil [Internet]
Stratton Systems Design	| dsc3rjs@vmnmdsc.BITNET [BITNET only, please!]