[comp.sys.att] 3B2 SCSI Software Question

Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) (12/06/90)

I have a 3B2/400 computer running Unix System V 3.2, with a SCSI card...

I have noticed the following disks:
SCSI Host Adaptor Utilities   - Seems A-OK
SCSI Cartridge Tape Utilities - Totally gone, it's TOAST..

    I am right now thinking about re-partitioning my
drives, and backing up to SCSI TAPE for doing the
restore...  If I do this, will the 3B2/400 be able to
access my SCSI 60 Meg Cartridge tape unit?

    I think the answer is no, and that if I attempt this, I
can kiss my SCSI tape drive goodbye forever!  Which would
not make my day..

    Also, one of my manuals mentions another disk called
AT&T 3B2 SCSI Disk Controller Utilities is needed in order
to make a SCSI hard disk work on this machine...  The
book's olde and is probably for UNIX Rel 3.0..  Does this
apply to Release 3.2???

   Talking with AT&T, they tell me I need Network Support
Utilities to make the SCSI card work??  I am asking for a
second opinion on this on???  It seems rather 'strange' to
require a NETWORKING disk to make SCSI function??

   I am also DESPERATE for a StarLan (1Megabit) MS-DOS
Client Diskette...  That's all I need to FINALLY make
starlan work here...!!

Any help would be greatly be appreciated...

Cheers.......

                                       ---- Robb ----

Charlie, I'll bang off a message to you ASAP..  Been real
busy as of late, not time to read much mail!
van-bc!oneb!hakatac!rthomas      is the needed path..

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: Sir HackAlot's Castle, Port Alberni, B.C. (89:684/1) (89:684/1)
--
        Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (12/12/90)

In article <3687.2761D6F6@onebdos.UUCP> Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) writes:

>    Also, one of my manuals mentions another disk called
>AT&T 3B2 SCSI Disk Controller Utilities is needed in order
>to make a SCSI hard disk work on this machine...  The
>book's olde and is probably for UNIX Rel 3.0..  Does this
>apply to Release 3.2???
>
>   Talking with AT&T, they tell me I need Network Support
>Utilities to make the SCSI card work??  I am asking for a
>second opinion on this on???  It seems rather 'strange' to
>require a NETWORKING disk to make SCSI function??

If that's true, then I'm running on magic.  I have a SCSI drive on my 3B2/600
and don't have the NSU installed.  Go into firmware and do a 'filledt' then
run 'dgmon' and do the following:

dng scsi ph=17

This will run phase 17 diagnostics and will tell let you know of any scsi
conflicts and if it can see all the SCSI devices out there.  After running
dgmon, do another 'filledt' and generate a new unix by running '/etc/system'.
This will create the devices if they don't already exist for your tape drive.

Also, 'prtconf' as super-user would let you know if your 3B recognizes the
tape drive.