[comp.sys.att] oh geez, is it .att.3b1 or .3b1

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (12/04/90)

Well, the last poster tied it up - my summary (see previous post) says 4
specifically want comp.sys.3b1 and four specifically comp.sys.att.3b1
(with 6 more who did not care.)

How about a mini-vote, just on the NAME, with the two choices being

comp.sys.3b1

			and

comp.sys.att.3b1

I don't think any other name has a chance in hell, so I'll ignore them.
The source group name seems unanimous, comp.sources.3b1.

Please mail (e-mail) your vote to me.  Send something very close to
'I vote for comp.sys.3b1' or 'I vote for comp.sys.att.3b1'.

This is the last remaining issue that I see. There are very few disagreements
about other things.  I will tabulate the votes after work Wednesday, to try
and get all this to news.groups so we can have as little overlap with xmas
as possible in the vote period.

					Jeff

dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) (12/04/90)

In article <76015@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:

>Well, the last poster tied it up - my summary (see previous post) says 4
>specifically want comp.sys.3b1 and four specifically comp.sys.att.3b1
>(with 6 more who did not care.)
>
>How about a mini-vote, just on the NAME, with the two choices being
>
>comp.sys.3b1
>
>			and
>
>comp.sys.att.3b1

ok, I mini-vote for

comp.sys.3b1
and
comp.sources.3b1

I would have no problem with the "s4" designation mentioned
earlier, ie:

comp.sys.s4
and
comp.sources.s4

I mini-vote no for any *.att.* combination, but if that's the
consensus, I'll real-vote to support it.

--
name & address   (this account) -> uunet!swbatl!dwn OR dwn@swbatl.sbc.com
David Neill       office -> 405-291-1990 -> uunet!swbatl!oktext!mktco

dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.133943.327@swbatl.sbc.com>, dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) writes:
> I mini-vote no for any *.att.* combination, but if that's the
> consensus, I'll real-vote to support it.

Can you do that?  If so, I can honestly say that is EXACTLY how I feel.

DAS
--
David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das13!dave     INTERNET:  dave@das13.snide.com

dwn@swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007) (12/06/90)

In article <1465@das13.snide.com> dave@das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>In article <1990Dec4.133943.327@swbatl.sbc.com>, dwn@swbatl.sbc.com writes:
>> I mini-vote no for any *.att.* combination, but if that's the
>> consensus, I'll real-vote to support it.
>>
>Can you do that?  If so, I can honestly say that is EXACTLY how I feel.
>
>DAS
>--
>David Snyder @ Snide Inc. - Folcroft, PA

Sure, you can do that... it doesn't carry any weight, or count for
anything, but what the hey.. this is usenet... you can do *ANYTHING*.
;-)

Seriously, Jeff Templon posted that the ratio was about 3 to 1 in
favor of "comp.sys.3b1".  I think someone else already made a good
case for "comp.sources.3b1" over "comp.sources.att.3b1".  As I said,
I prefer no *.att.*, but I'll support whatever gets rid of the
"unix-pc" nomenclature.

I don't claim to know anything about re-organizing the .att. group,
and while it doesn't hurt to try to fix the bigger mess, I kinda
wish we could fix our little mess first, then address the larger
issues.

....standing by with my voter registration card
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/06/90)

In article <76015@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
|Well, the last poster tied it up - my summary (see previous post) says 4
|specifically want comp.sys.3b1 and four specifically comp.sys.att.3b1
|(with 6 more who did not care.)
|
|How about a mini-vote, just on the NAME, with the two choices being
|
|comp.sys.3b1
|
|			and
|
|comp.sys.att.3b1
|
|I don't think any other name has a chance in hell, so I'll ignore them.
|The source group name seems unanimous, comp.sources.3b1.

	You forgot "unix-pc.general" and
	"unix-pc.sources".

	I think in your rush you don't recall
	that there are a lot of us who have a
	bad feeling about all of this...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (12/07/90)

In article <58454@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>	You forgot "unix-pc.general" and
>	"unix-pc.sources".

	So I did.  We are trying to come to a consensus on the name of a new
group to create in the mainstream heirarchy.  unix-pc.general does not fit
this category.  I didn't forget, just doesn't apply.

>	I think in your rush you don't recall
>	that there are a lot of us who have a
>	bad feeling about all of this...

	How long have we been discussing this?  What makes you think I am in
a rush?  Here at iuvax, I have seen about four postings a day saying 'come
on, dammit, let's vote!'  I took the action I did because I saw lots of
people clamoring for 'someone' to get the thing moving, and no-one else
seemed to be coming forward.

	I only recall seeing a few (some number between 3 and 5 at best
guess) people post articles who were seriously opposed to going mainstream,
discounting those that were based on mistaken information (such as 'it's
impossible to just get one group, now I'll have to take the whole comp
hierarchy just to get the 3b1 stuff!!)  I haven't forgotten, Bruce.  This
movement's PURPOSE is to go mainstream.  I don't think anyone expected
that there would be 100% agreement that this was a good thing to do.  You
expect us to just give up because of a minority bad feeling?

						jeff

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (12/07/90)

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:

>In article <58454@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:

>>	I think in your rush you don't recall
>>	that there are a lot of us who have a
>>	bad feeling about all of this...

>	How long have we been discussing this?  What makes you think I am in
>a rush?  Here at iuvax, I have seen about four postings a day saying 'come
>on, dammit, let's vote!'  I took the action I did because I saw lots of
>people clamoring for 'someone' to get the thing moving, and no-one else
>seemed to be coming forward.

This discussion was old when I got a 3b1 4 years ago.

Remember the guidelines?  A call for votes was not issued because there
was not a clear consensus.  That's the rules, folks.  Hey, I made up my
mind years ago on this issue, but I do not write the rules.  If you want
to get a vote passed, you have to play the game.  There are more people
on the net that will vote no because they got up on the wrong side of the
bed than there are people who read this group.

And, a CFV has been sent to the news.announce.newgroups moderator.

Jan
--
The good and the bad thing about drugs | home jan@bagend 404-434-1335
drugs is that they wear off. -Elliston | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan

reso@sevihc.UUCP (Dennis Reso) (12/17/90)

I don't see what's wrong with:

  comp.sys.3b1 = unix-pc.bugs,unix-pc.general,unix-pc.uucp,unix-pc.test
  comp.sources.3b1 = unix-pc.sources

Most of the non-sources traffic seems to be in .general, and though
I'm not counting, I'd assume most .uucp traffic (second-most active)
is cross-posted to .general anyway.

Dennis Reso                        sevihc!reso@sharkey.cc.umich.edu
Sterling Hieghts, MI USA           {sharkey|hela}!sevihc!reso
Ford Motor Company, Dearborn       pms415!reso@fmsrl7.srl.ford.com