[comp.sys.att] 3b1 crashes

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (07/20/87)

Help!  I have been having SERIOUS system crashes with no warning, panic
messages or any other indication at all except that it always happens
during a uucp transfer.  The system just stops.  Even the keyboard
leds stop working (caps).  I just recently installed the new version
of hdb and I am thinking that the problem is with it.  I have reinstalled
the old hdb version 2 and will run it again.  I have the combo board
installed and a modem tied to it is my window to the world.
	Has anyone else seen a problem like this?  I would be very
greatfull for your inputs.
--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                                                {mhuxu,u1100a}-----\

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (07/21/87)

>> From: mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard)
>> Subject: 3b1 crashes
>> Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
>> Date: 19 Jul 87 23:55:31 GMT
>>
>> Help!  I have been having SERIOUS system crashes with no warning, panic
>> messages or any other indication at all except that it always happens
>> during a uucp transfer.  The system just stops.  Even the keyboard
>> leds stop working (caps).  I just recently installed the new version
>> of hdb and I am thinking that the problem is with it.  I have reinstalled
>> the old hdb version 2 and will run it again.  I have the combo board
>> installed and a modem tied to it is my window to the world.

We have been experiencing exactly the same symptoms, except for the part
about hdb (I don't even know what that is).

Since we have over a dozen 3B1s, we've been able to notice something of a
pattern: all of our machines which crash like this have expansion boards with
revisions of J or greater.  We have a few E and F expansion boards, and none
of the machines with those have had trouble.

We have our machines under a service contract, but AT&T seems to want to come
up with a more definitive explanation of the problem before they'll replace
our boards.  (Our situation is complicated by the fact that our 3B1s
communicate via an ISN, something which AT&T seems frown on for some reason.)
It might help us find a solution if any of you with similar problems would
let us know whether you, too, have expansion boards with revisions J, K or
L.  Thanks.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

rdkuphal@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kuphal) (07/22/87)

>From: mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
>Subject: 3b1 crashes
>Date: 19 Jul 87 23:55:31 GMT
>
>Help!  I have been having SERIOUS system crashes with no warning, panic
>messages or any other indication at all except that it always happens
>during a uucp transfer.  The system just stops.  Even the keyboard
>leds stop working (caps).  I just recently installed the new version
>of hdb and I am thinking that the problem is with it.  I have reinstalled
>the old hdb version 2 and will run it again.  I have the combo board
>installed and a modem tied to it is my window to the world.
>	Has anyone else seen a problem like this?  I would be very
>greatfull for your inputs.

I had the experience of having a 3b1 at home for awhile for work related
computing and had the same experience you have had.  After one month
of fooling around with it, here are my results and a conclusion :

  1. On my machine, it ALWAYS happens when uucp transfers
     are being done.
  2. First was using the non-HDB uucp, so got the HDB uucp, it does
     does the same thing.  By the way, I re-loaded the system at least
     10 times during that month.
  3. If you are lucky to be still on when it is happening, look around in
     /bin  /usr/bin  /etc with  ls -l  and notice the STRANGE file
     permissions and file sizes etc. (You must do this quick tho!!)
     The machine is quickly trashing files until it has trashed files
     that are needed to keep itself running!!!!
  4. I finally got a message (mail) from the system as it was
     thrashing itself to death.  Seems it was running out of SWAP
     space, and removing processes to regain SWAP space.

            Consulsion, this thing needs more SWAP space!!

       Problem: I have not found a person that can tell me in
                easy terms how to re-configure the hard disk to
                get more swap space, and
                YES IT WAS CONFIGURED FOR MULTI-USER !!!!

  For the person on the att.sys.unixpc  AT&T group:

       Now you have THREE machines with the same problem, so I guess
       I CAN KNOCK the machine now    HUM ?????

    As you guessed, I work for AT&T, and the AT&T news group did
    not have any answers either.

   PS:   AT&T service replaced the drive 3 times in response to
         this problem, (found out the person that had the machine
         before me was having strange problems also).  I GOT
         RID OF THE MACHINE, it was useless to me.  This machine
         did not have a combo board, in fact I removed the DOS-73
         board to try in isolate the problem, no luck there either.

  Lots of luck

vince@tc.fluke.COM (Craig Johnson) (07/25/87)

While not experiencing actual crashes, a couple of us here who have
7300's have noticed that uucp causes an abnormal number of disk errors
to be logged in /usr/adm/unixlog (I think that's the right file).  It
seems that the errors are only retries.  Usually one retry is
sufficient though I have seen more than one.  Up to now we have just
figured that uucp is a heavy/hard/not-nice/worst-than-average disk user
and wrote it off to be just something that you should expect when you
thrash the disk that hard.  I'm beginning to wonder now if there is
more to it...

	Craig V. Johnson
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.
	Everett, WA

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (12/18/90)

Well, after all my begs and pleas for help with my frequent 3b1 crashes,
I have finally SOLVED the problem!  It was just a matter of +5 and +12
not being enough juice to keep my memory chips happy.  I cranked 'em
up to 5.1 and 12.4 and it looks like I'm set.  Thanks to everyone who
offered assistance over the last couple of months.  In fact, checking my
power supply was one of the first suggestions I received.  But since
it was right on 12.0 and 5.0, I didn't mess with it.

Now if I could just get Lenny, Gil, or John to sell me a kit so
that I can hook up my other 190M Priam :^)

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler