[comp.sys.att] modem control

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.020043.273@cbnewsm.att.com> abm@cbnewsm.att.com (andrew.b.myers) writes:
>[ ... setting up a restricted bbs-like account on a 3B2/300 ... ]
>
> So now I need an instantaneous sledge hammer to kill the abandoned
> shell when a user suddenly drops off.

The sledge hammer you are looking for is called MODEM CONTROL.  In
conjunction with the HUPCL flag (i.e. stty hupcl, or HUPCL in
gettydefs), modem control does everything you want it to.

Make sure your modem is supplying a DCD signal that follows the true
carrier (by setting the right options/switches), and that HUPCL is
specified in all of the gettydefs lines for the port your modem is
connected to.  Needless to say, use the proper RJ-45 -> DB-25 adapter
too (i.e. an "005" modem connector).

Warning:  If you are using this modem bi-directionally, i.e. you call
out on it too, make sure you are running SysVr3.2, since the older
BNU's don't support modem control properly (i.e. they didn't really
support bi-directional modems, regardless of the presence of uugetty).

Also, please be forewarned:  unless you have a carefully selected set
of commands available to rsh in a chroot'ed area, there is a 99.9%
chance that someone can find a way out of the restricted environment.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec10.192820.12812@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>Make sure your modem is supplying a DCD signal that follows the true
>carrier (by setting the right options/switches), and that HUPCL is
>specified in all of the gettydefs lines for the port your modem is
>connected to.  Needless to say, use the proper RJ-45 -> DB-25 adapter
>too (i.e. an "005" modem connector).
>
>Warning:  If you are using this modem bi-directionally, i.e. you call
>out on it too, make sure you are running SysVr3.2, since the older
>BNU's don't support modem control properly (i.e. they didn't really
>support bi-directional modems, regardless of the presence of uugetty).

They still don't do it properly, at least on my 3B2/600G (aka 1000/80)
running SysVr3.2.2.  In order to dial out with cu or uucp, I have to force
DCD high which effectively means I can't do full modem control on bi-directional
lines.  It seems uugetty is still broken :-(

Anyone got a working replacement source that is PD (I don;t have a source
license)?
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

in <1990Dec17.161947.9000@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> writes:

	They still don't do it properly, at least on my 3B2/600G (aka 1000/80)
	running SysVr3.2.2.  In order to dial out with cu or uucp, I have to
	force DCD high which effectively means I can't do full modem control
	on bi-directional lines.  It seems uugetty is still broken :-(

The SVR3 HDB does work correctly, but the "stock" SVR3.2 documentation does
NOT tell you how to do it (the SVR3.2/386 manuals DO, however).  The info can
also be found in the "stock" SVR3.2 "Utilities Release Notes."

I had this problem about a year ago and really created a stink about it here on
the net (remember my: "...even put Mother Theresa on a killing rampage..."? :-)

If you're unable to find the previous info archived, repost your query and I'll
repost all the info again.  It seems the HDB bi-directional setup instructions
SHOULD be reposted monthly in light of all the questions about it (due to poor
and inadequate docs) arising here and in other newsgroups.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (12/19/90)

Thad P Floryan writes:
> I had this problem
> repost your query and I'll repost all the info again.

What is the book solution for modem control? That document was not in
the pile of release notes and manual upgrades for my 3B2 S5R3.2.2 OS.

I don't have any hardware manuals, but it appears that DCD is crossed
with DSR in the 8 conductor 3B2 AT&T RJ type Modem connectors.
To use 'cu', I had to force DCD high on my modem, that is until I
rewired the connector:

25 pin           8 conductor RJ
to modem         towards computer
---------        ----------------

   1 ---< Frm Grd >---- 1

   2 ---< RD/TD >------ 2

   3 ---< TD/RD >------ 3

   4 ---< RTS >-------- 8

   5 ---< CTS >-------- 5

   6 ---< DSR >-------- 7

   7 ---< SIG GRD >---- 4

   8 ---< DCD

   20 ---< DTR >------- 6

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Stephen J. Friedl) (12/20/90)

In article <3852@moxie.lonestar.org>, hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) writes:

> I don't have any hardware manuals, but it appears that DCD is crossed
> with DSR in the 8 conductor 3B2 AT&T RJ type Modem connectors.
> To use 'cu', I had to force DCD high on my modem, that is until I
> rewired the connector:

Uucp and uucico can be told to open the port in O_NDELAY mode by
marking the Devices file tty name with ",M":

	ACU	ttyA7,M -  2400    hayes

Then, in the Dialers script you must add \M and \m tokens to
enable/disable CLOCAL mode

	hayes	=,-,	"" \M\dAT\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c
			   ^^                                   ^^
			enable CLOCAL                      disable CLOCAL

It enables CLOCAL mode for the duration of dialing, and once the
CONNECT is seen (i.e., once carrier is present) CLOCAL is turned
off and a hangup will truly hangup.

This won't solve all the uugetty problems, but it is a big start.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY  /  3B2-kind-of-guy  /  Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Why not add Hollerith fields to printf?

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (12/22/90)

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> Warning:  If you are using this modem bi-directionally, i.e. you call
> out on it too, make sure you are running SysVr3.2, since the older
> BNU's don't support modem control properly (i.e. they didn't really
> support bi-directional modems, regardless of the presence of uugetty).

On the other hand, later BNUs worked fine on earlier Unixes.  We had the
SysV.3.2 BNU running on an AT&T SysV.2 machine for a year, and it worked
great.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz