[comp.sys.att] SOTA 386i on AT&T PC-6300

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (12/25/90)

Does anyone have any experience with the the SOTA 386i accelerator card,
especially in the AT&T PC-6300?  (The 6300 is an XT compatible 8086
based machine).

I happened to see a box for one of these in a computer store, and it
specifically mentioned the 6300 as a suitable system.  But is there
anything I need to watch out for?  Are there any applications that won't
run?   Is there more than one version of the 386i?  Will all my
add-on cards like EMS still work?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec24.230350.9161@cbnewsc.att.com>, psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with the the SOTA 386i accelerator card,
> especially in the AT&T PC-6300?  (The 6300 is an XT compatible 8086
> based machine).
>
> Will all my
> add-on cards like EMS still work?

I have had one in my 6300 for about a year now, and have had NO problems.
You can use your EMS board, but ONLY in REAL (DOS) mode. The Protected
mode is not yet supported.

Hope this helps.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

cac@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Cox) (12/27/90)

	I know the 386 works...I once was playing with an Intel 386
board and it didn't, but a dealer told me they use Sota all the time
with no problems.

	What I would like to know is does the Sota 286i work as well?
Gut feeling says yes, the dealer says 'I dunno', and I found one.

	BTW, how does the Sota go in?  The Intel has a forty pin ribbon
cable that goes out to a dummy chip to plug into the 8086 socket, but it
was too sort.  I had to make a longer one (and cannabalize that dummy
chip...they are hard to find it seems).  Does the Sota work the same
way?

						Chris

Christopher Cox                      | "The shortest distance between two
cac@iear.arts.rpi.edu                |  points is always under construction."
			Murphy was an optimist.

rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) (12/28/90)

In article <&7P^N1*@rpi.edu>, cac@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Cox) writes:
> 	What I would like to know is does the Sota 286i work as well?
> Gut feeling says yes, the dealer says 'I dunno', and I found one.

It has a worked fine on the small variety of packages (Wordperfect, 123,
Windows 3, GEM, Harvard Graphics, C compilers, Procomm) that I use.  I
have only found it to fail on an astronomy game my son uses but it is
relatively easy to flip to native (8086 on the 6300) mode.

> 	BTW, how does the Sota go in?  The Intel has a forty pin ribbon
> cable that goes out to a dummy chip to plug into the 8086 socket, but it
> was too sort.  I had to make a longer one (and cannabalize that dummy
> chip...they are hard to find it seems).  Does the Sota work the same
> way?

There is a longer cable Sota makes available specifically for the 6300.
I (and others) have found that the it is difficult to keep the cable
properly seated in the processor socket.  I think this is because the
6300 processor socket is upside down and the weight of the cable and
its stiffness tend to exert a downward force on the end of the cable.
Also, the cable has round pins and the processor socket seems to expel
them easily.  There's been some success with jury-rigged mechanical
retention.

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (12/30/90)

In article <&7P^N1*@rpi.edu>, cac@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Cox) writes:
> 	BTW, how does the Sota go in?  The Intel has a forty pin ribbon
> cable that goes out to a dummy chip to plug into the 8086 socket, but it
> was too sort.  I had to make a longer one (and cannabalize that dummy
> chip...they are hard to find it seems).  Does the Sota work the same
> way?

Yes, but if you tell them it is for a 6300 you get an extra long cable.

Mark Emanuele  emanuele@overlf.uucp