[comp.sys.att] Monthly posting about Unix-PC network

kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov1.080516.14051@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> unix-pc-request@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
-According to the monthly information postings from Gene Spafford, there is
-a Unix-PC network available at many sites:
-
-<Unix-PC
-
-<Another such hierarchy is the "unix-pc" distribution.  This consists of
-<groups devoted to users of the AT&T Unix-PC.  These groups were
-<originated as a mailing list started by three owners of AT&T Unix PCs:
-<Gary Smith, David Dalton and Kathy Vincent.  As the list expanded, it
-<turned into a newsgroup hierarchy, and more and more sites began to
-<carry the groups; hundreds of sites now carry these groups.  To receive
-<them, you need to contact a site already getting them; att, gatech,
-<mit-eddie, psuvax1, ucsd and ukma are well-known sites getting these
-<groups and the admins there may be willing to help find a feed should
-<you desire (and ask nicely); uunet also carries these groups. The
-<unix-pc groups circulated include:
-
-<unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
-<unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
-<unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
-<unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.
-<unix-pc.test 		Test group.
-
-If your site cannot get the unix-pc.* groups via regular news, contact the
-address below to be added to the mailing list.
-
-<unix-pc-net
-<    Contact:  {ames,pyramid,vsi1}!zorch!unix-pc-request (Scott H. Mueller)
-<              unix-pc-request@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
-
-<    Purpose: To provide redistribution via mail of the unix-pc news
-<    hierarchy to sites that don't or cannot receive it as a regular
-<    distribution.  The special address "zorch!unix-pc" can be used by
-<    subscribers to post to the group unix-pc.general.

Well, this is a nice idea, but the only group I am really exited about here
is unix-pc.sources --- and that's the group I was told was too big
to forward via email.  UCLA is a pretty big school and we get all the
newsgroups I've ever heard of; but the local net administration looked
into the unix-pc newsgroups and said it was pretty tough for them
to get a feed here.

If my understanding is correct, the feed would be essentially automatic
if the unix-pc newsgroup were under another pre-existing hierarchy.

Why not just move the whole unix-pc tree under comp.sys.unix-pc, which
is clearly where it belonged in the first place?  I don't know much about
how the net works, but it seems to me that is obvious and correct solution.
This would also allow us to separate out discussions of 3b1's and 3b2's
and 6386's, which have nothing really to do with each other.

Comments?

Paul Kirkaas
kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu

kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) in <1990Nov3.045636.12735@cs.ucla.edu

[...]

Personally, I'd like to see "comp.sys.unix-pc.*" in the mainstream newsgroups!
But, as has been posted and (re-)hashed many times, there is NO problem getting
a direct feed (of the unix-pc.* hierarchy) right into your own 3B1 (assuming
you don't mind a (possibly) long-distance phone call).

As far as UCLA administration asserting unix-pc.* is too big to forward via
e-mail, bushwa!  How do you think much of the stuff is presently propagated?
Surely not by carrier pigeon!  :-)

It's my observation and assertion the comp.sys.att and unix-pc.* newsgroups
are frequented by responsible persons and there simply aren't any blatant
cross-posting abuses.

Re: "... allow us to separate out discussions of 3b1's and 3b2's and 6386's,
which have nothing really to do with each other"  I disagree.  Except for some
specific hardware and/or assembly language issues, all these systems running
UNIX share many of the same problems and solutions, and it's definitely a
win-win situation sharing our experiences and discussions.

As the (present) president of the Silicon Valley AT&T UNIX Users' Group, it's
clear from the membership info surveys that interest in all these systems is
shared by the members though, for practical (and financial) reasons most of
us own 3B1 systems as personal home systems.  As but one example in support of
this assertion, our October 1990 meeting featured demos and talks by:

	Tyan Computer of Sunnyvale CA, showing their 80486 system with SVR4
	and X11R4.  Tyan also supplied the door prizes that evening, with a
	COMPLETE set of SVR4 manuals and documentation going to one lucky
	attendee, and

	UNISYS/NCG (formerly Convergent Technologies (also the mfr for AT&T
	of the 3B1)) of San Jose CA showing their 68040 SVR3.2 with X11R4.
	Software running on the 3B1 (68010), for example, can be simply
	copied to that Model 4040 using tape or Ethernet and continue to
	run (that Model 4040 is expected to officially debut on or about
	Nov.21 per my notes from that meeting).

Many members of the users' group own 3B2 and 6386 systems, and we often "borrow
"
them for our booths at the West Coast Computer Faire, DB-EXPO, etc.

As we move more into SVR4, I believe it's even more important to maintain the
cohesiveness of the present newsgroups and to NOT split them.  Again, many of
the issues discussed (printers, uucp, C, etc.) are common to all our systems.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (11/04/90)

In article <35534@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) in <1990Nov3.045636.12735@cs.ucla.edu
> > unix-pc.sources --- and that's the group I was told was too
> > big to forward via email.

>As far as UCLA administration asserting unix-pc.* is too big to forward via
>e-mail, bushwa!  How do you think much of the stuff is presently propagated?

Virtually all of the traffic is propagated via NetNews -- compressed
batches over uucp or nntp over the Internet.  Perhaps being a Portal
user rather than running a Usenet site you're not familiar with the
difference between that and e-mail, Thad?

> > UCLA is a pretty big school and we get all the newsgroups I've ever
> > heard of; but the local net administration looked into the unix-pc
> > newsgroups and said it was pretty tough for them to get a feed here.

>there is NO problem getting a direct feed (of the unix-pc.* hierarchy)
>right into your own 3B1 (assuming you don't mind a (possibly) long-
>distance phone call).

On this count I'll wholeheartedly agree with Thad, with the addition
that big sites (UCLA, for example) on the Internet can easily get the
hierarchy via nntp from a number of sites.  Any administrator of an
Internet site who claims it would be "pretty touch for them to get a
feed" of unix-pc is either unbelievably ignorant or unbelievably lazy.
Or maybe both.

Anybody who wants a unix-pc feed is welcome to a feed from either of
my machines -- ditka (San Jose, California) or royko (northwest Chicago
suburbs, Illinios).  Both are PC Pursuitable; ditka has a TrailBlazer
Plus though royko is only 2400.

I'm also willing to help folks wanting an nntp feed of unix-pc, either
showing them which of their feeds already carry it, or if necessary I
can help them arrange a feed through Stanford University.

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	{uunet,decwrl}!daver!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com

crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) (11/06/90)

Amen to that!
For my first year in 3b1-land, I had to glean what I could
from comp.sys.att, since unix-pc wasn't a "recognized"
newsgroup.

I vote for comp.sys.unix-pc, or perhaps comp.sys.3b1 (shorter).
--
Chuck Bacon - crtb@helix.nih.gov - 301-496-4823
	"After all, computers have rights too!" - Ernst Bacon, 1898-1990

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (11/06/90)

I would LOVE for that to happen too since I suspect that net interest
in 3b1 stuff is way out of proportion to our numbers.  I'll bet that a
very high percentage of 3b1s have net access.  Lets get a recognized
newsgroup so we here in Europe can have the sources too!

--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
Brussels Belgium     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) in <30978@ditka.UUCP> writes in response to one
of my blatherings, er ..., postings:

	>As far as UCLA administration asserting unix-pc.* is too big to
	>forward via e-mail, bushwa!  How do you think much of the stuff
	>is presently propagated?

	Virtually all of the traffic is propagated via NetNews -- compressed
	batches over uucp or nntp over the Internet.  Perhaps being a Portal
	user rather than running a Usenet site you're not familiar with the
	difference between that and e-mail, Thad?

Yep, sorta.  I know the conceptual difference but have no first-hand
experiences with operating an actual Usenet site since I never had enough free
disk space to consider that as an option; I'm always operating around 1-5%
free no matter how many HDs I add to the systems.  This will change shortly as
I'll be putting "thadlabs" on the "net" for email only after I complete
yet-another-hardware-mod.  Though PORTAL is fine for news (they get
everything, and access is only $10/month any baud, any time, any duration, and
they have multi-GB HDs online) the email storage charges on PORTAL are/were
nickling-and-diming me to death due to my having 1746 messages more-or-less
unanswered (THIS "problem" is presently being rectified; the problem was that
there was no way to know which messages were unread, and, with getting
anywhere from 50-100 emails a day, I had to "guess" at which was the last one
read; this is my only real complaint regarding PORTAL's service).

Karl continues:

	I'm also willing to help folks wanting an nntp feed of unix-pc, either
	showing them which of their feeds already carry it, or if necessary I
	can help them arrange a feed through Stanford University.

Now THAT is interesting!  The question about "feeds" continuously comes up
during the local user group meetings, and my "pat" answer was to contract
with PORTAL, btr.com, or netcom (or netsys (sorry, keep confusing these two))
for a full or partial feed along with email.  Karl, I'd be happy to assist
this effort; let's continue this in email and I'll summarize after the details
are worked out.

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (11/06/90)

In article <35534@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
 > kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) in <1990Nov3.045636.12735@cs.ucla.edu
 > >
 > 	UNISYS/NCG (formerly Convergent Technologies (also the mfr for AT&T
 > 	of the 3B1)) of San Jose CA showing their 68040 SVR3.2 with X11R4.
 > 	Software running on the 3B1 (68010), for example, can be simply
 > 	copied to that Model 4040 using tape or Ethernet and continue to
 > 	run (that Model 4040 is expected to officially debut on or about
 > 	Nov.21 per my notes from that meeting).

this sounds bizzare, does it have a 68000 family co-processor?
does it know about 3b1 pecularities?  binarys, or do you need
to re-compile sources?
                               Kris A. Kugel
                         ( 908 | 201 ) 842-2707
   { uunet | rutgers }!{ tsdiag | westmark }!hico2!kak
				att!westmark!hico2!kak
		         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) in <305@hico2.UUCP> asks:

In article <35534@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
 > kirkaas@makaha.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) in <1990Nov3.045636.12735@cs.ucla.
edu

 > 	UNISYS/NCG (formerly Convergent Technologies (also the mfr for AT&T
 > 	of the 3B1)) of San Jose CA showing their 68040 SVR3.2 with X11R4.
 > 	Software running on the 3B1 (68010), for example, can be simply
 > 	copied to that Model 4040 using tape or Ethernet and continue to
 > 	run (that Model 4040 is expected to officially debut on or about
 > 	Nov.21 per my notes from that meeting).

	this sounds bizzare, does it have a 68000 family co-processor?
	does it know about 3b1 pecularities?  binarys, or do you need
	to re-compile sources?

The 68040 in the 4040 is a 68000-family CPU (the family comprises the 68000,
68008, 68010, 68012, 68020, 68030 and 68040).  CT (now UNISYS) produces
systems based on 68010 and 68020, and, soon, the 68040 (seems the performance
of their 68020 systems never required a 68030 version).

Simply move the binary EMACS, ksh, etc.  from the 3B1 to that and they
continue to run.  Did this first for the CT MightyFrame and was I surprised;
the MightyFrame is a 68020-based system.  (FYI, can do the same even on an
Amiga which supports all of 68000, 68010, 68020, 68030 and 68040).  As long
as you move UP to a "higher" CPU.

The family of computers from CT (now UNISYS/NCG) are "compatible."  You might
want to keep that in mind if you're thinking about upgrading from a 3B1 and
don't want to re-buy (or recompile) all your programs.

Re-compiling would, of course, take advantge of compiler optimizations for the
newer chip(s).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (11/07/90)

In article <35660@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) in <30978@ditka.UUCP> writes in response to one
>of my blatherings, er ..., postings:

>	I'm also willing to help folks wanting an nntp feed of unix-pc, either
>	showing them which of their feeds already carry it, or if necessary I
>	can help them arrange a feed through Stanford University.

Note that Stanford is an nntp feed.  This is for Internet sites;
uucp-only sites need not apply.  But read on ...

>Now THAT is interesting!  The question about "feeds" continuously comes up
>during the local user group meetings, and my "pat" answer was to contract
>with PORTAL, btr.com, or netcom (or netsys (sorry, keep confusing these two))

Must be netcom since the Feds still had netsys at last note.  :-(

>for a full or partial feed along with email.  Karl, I'd be happy to assist
>this effort; let's continue this in email and I'll summarize after the details
>are worked out.

Not many details to work out -- anybody willing to call San Jose is
welcome to a mail and/or news feed (unix-pc up to a full feed) from
ditka; anybody willing to call Cary, Illinois is welcome to whatever
is available on royko.  If it's a local call, I'll call them too.  I
have posted this offer before, as have Lenny and others -- there are
lots of feeds of the unix-pc groups around for the asking.  It's that
simple.

I can also help find feeds in many other areas if necessary -- both
in the Bay Area and elsewhere.  I exchange unix-pc with numerous
sites, ranging from local Silicon Valley sites to well-known sites
in Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, and others, to obscure places like
Flagstaff, Arizona.  I'm sure most of them would be willing to
share the wealth, as would many, many sites that I don't talk to.

Anyway, the only other details are the ones in my signature.

--

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (11/07/90)

in article <305@hico2.UUCP>, kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) says:
>  > 	UNISYS/NCG (formerly Convergent Technologies (also the mfr for AT&T
>  > 	of the 3B1)) of San Jose CA showing their 68040 SVR3.2 with X11R4.
>  > 	Software running on the 3B1 (68010), for example, can be simply
>  > 	copied to that Model 4040 using tape or Ethernet and continue to
>  > 	run (that Model 4040 is expected to officially debut on or about
>  > 	Nov.21 per my notes from that meeting).

> this sounds bizzare, does it have a 68000 family co-processor?
> does it know about 3b1 pecularities?  binarys, or do you need
> to re-compile sources?

The 68040 is a superset of the 68010, so no co-processor is necessary.
It does not know about windows, and the shared library usage has changed.
Rumor has it that you can bring 3B1 shared libraries over and then the
executables will run but I haven't tried that.
Non-shared library / non-graphic binaries will run.
Re-compilation should work for almost anything you've written, again with
the caveat about graphics.

The kernel is vastly different, and of course no code from the 68040 will
be executable on the 3B1, but the upgrade path to the 68040 should be easy.

No sales pitch, just a Tech Support Guy.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (11/09/90)

In article <31147@ditka.UUCP>, kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:

> If it's a local call, I'll call them too.  I
> have posted this offer before, as have Lenny and others -- there are
> lots of feeds of the unix-pc groups around for the asking.  It's that
> simple.

hico2 carries unix-pc groups in central NJ, I'll provides feeds
to anybody that polls me, or two way to local sites.
These groups are also available at other sites around here.

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (11/11/90)

In article <319@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>hico2 carries unix-pc groups in central NJ, I'll provides feeds
>to anybody that polls me, or two way to local sites.
>These groups are also available at other sites around here.

I will also provide a feed of the unix-pc.* groups (as well as a few
others) on the same policy for the Houston, TX area.
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil@limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (11/11/90)

In article <319@hico2.UUCP>, kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
|In article <31147@ditka.UUCP>, kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
|>
|> If it's a local call, I'll call them too.  I
|> have posted this offer before, as have Lenny and others -- there are
|> lots of feeds of the unix-pc groups around for the asking.  It's that
|> simple.
|
|hico2 carries unix-pc groups in central NJ, I'll provides feeds
|to anybody that polls me, or two way to local sites.
|These groups are also available at other sites around here.

I am willing to offer the same deal from alfred which is located in Orlando,
Florida (Tourist Hell). Check my .sig if you need to reach me.
--
Elliot Dierksen    "Religion & Sex are Powerplays.  Manipulate the people for
                    Money they pay.  Selling Skin, Selling God.  The Numbers

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) (11/20/90)

In article <732@limbic.ssdl.com> gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
|>In article <319@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
|>>hico2 carries unix-pc groups in central NJ, I'll provides feeds
|>>to anybody that polls me, or two way to local sites.
|>>These groups are also available at other sites around here.
|>
|>I will also provide a feed of the unix-pc.* groups (as well as a few
|>others) on the same policy for the Houston, TX area.

Ditto, here in Austin, TX.  I guess we have TX pretty well covered.  I'm
sure there is someone in Dallas too :-)

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny@icus.ICUS.COM |
| ...!{ames,cs.utexas.edu,pacbell}!icus!lenny           attmail!icus!lenny  |

unix-pc@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Forwarder of Unix-PC) (01/01/91)