From: tiwana@uts.amdahl.com (Gurumukh Singh Tiwana)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian,unix-pc.sources
Subject: PC bulletin boards in bay area
Date: 4 Jan 91 00:41:08 GMT
Portal-Origin: Usenet
Portal-Type: text
Portal-Bytes: 106
Portal-Location: 5263.3.376.1

Does anybody know of any PC bulletin boards in the bay area?
Please reply to tiwana@uts.amdahl.com
Thanks

-------------------- end included material

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) (01/07/91)

Just goes to show.  I have been to all the local unix-pc user groups since
before the began by a year or so when it was primarily the DOS group.
Seldom said a word. Felt it was really over my head.
  I've been reading these unix-pc usenet stuff for a couple of years, every
day. I've been trying to get my unix-pc to work for four years without
other than momentary success. Although I have taken my machines to almost all
the meetings.
  Here the other day some guy asks a question on BBS's in the Bay Area.  Wow,
a question I can finally talk on.  Still to afraid to talk on the net, I
send the guy off an email and he sends back a "Thanks."
  I felt wonderful.
Thad comes out an flames the thing. Boy!! When you're feeling lower than a
snakes heel, someone takes the rock off'n you head, you think "Thank God,
a breath of fresh air, and Thad steps on you head.  Merry Christmas.
alvin
Alvin H. White, Gen. Sect.
G.O.D.S.B.R.A.I.N.
Government Online Database Systems
Bureau for Resource Allocations to Information Networks
[ alvin@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!alvin ]

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) in <37656@cup.portal.com> writes:

	Just goes to show.

Show WHAT?

	I have been to all the local unix-pc user groups since before the
	began by a year or so when it was primarily the DOS group.  Seldom
	said a word. Felt it was really over my head.

	I've been reading these unix-pc usenet stuff for a couple of years,
	every day. I've been trying to get my unix-pc to work for four years
	without other than momentary success. Although I have taken my
	machines to almost all the meetings.

I'm not trying to criticize, but Alvin's machine is the one I mentioned in
another posting as having the "216" motherboard whose floppy connector pinnings
are reversed from every other 3B1 and whose motherboard is considerably
different from ANY other UNIXPC.  I almost suspect it is a pre-production
prototype.

	Here the other day some guy asks a question on BBS's in the Bay Area.
	Wow, a question I can finally talk on.  Still to afraid to talk on the
	net, I send the guy off an email and he sends back a "Thanks."

	I felt wonderful.

And that's GREAT!  This is just the one of the things that's so nice about
Usenet, people helping out others.

But the guy who posted the query about PC BBS systems made several boo-boos.
He posted to a "sources" group, and he posted to a group that really has
nothing whatsoever to do with IBM-PC or MS-DOS systems.

	Thad comes out an flames the thing. Boy!! When you're feeling lower
	than a snakes heel, someone takes the rock off'n you head, you think
	"Thank God, a breath of fresh air, and Thad steps on you head.  Merry
	Christmas.

I "flamed" ONLY the original poster in the same spirit as that which sparked
the discussion (and the present voting) for a group re-organization to prevent
erroneous postings such as the one presently under discussion.

Note the original poster posted from amdahl.com, located in the heart of
Silicon Valley, in which even at Safeway stores one can find the free copies
of the monthly MICROTIMES (typically 250-300 pages) and bi-weekly COMPUTER
CURRENTS both of which list all BBS systems and user groups in N.California.
It's difficult to be anywhere in Silicon Valley and NOT see even newsstands at
street corners or in front of restaurants and fast-food places at which the
MICROTIMES and COMPUTER CURRENTS are distributed.

I'm saddened to read that Alvin feels the way he does about my "flame", but it
was NOT directed at him (how could it be when no-one besides himself or the
recipient of his email even knew he answered the posting?) and I don't feel any
apologies are in order.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) (01/07/91)

Thad responded to my reply.  I haven't gotten good at including things like
his reply.  My general concern is who defines what belongs to what.  I have
been studying like crazy to get pcomm to run on my machine so I can use
the BBS's [666 of them] in Washington D.C.  The BBS's in the Bay Area have
the indices to those in not only D.C. but all over the world. The BBS's
are reachable with the unix-pc. This even without the DOS card. I do have
a DOS  card for mine, if I can get it to work.
  I was having success getting pcomm to work so I bought a Telebit T2500
modem for $1150.00 so I could get greater speed to the Bulletin Boards
with my unix-pc.
  Thus I though that the querry about BBS's in the Bay Area was quit
germain to the topic.
  I had a little success at getting the unix-pc to contact the BBS's with
the Telebit T2500 so I went and bought a new 3b1 motherboard and a 3b1
power supply and installed those. That was how I had the old one laying
around loose to take to the meeting.
  I greatly enjoy reading the unix-pc stuff, even though it is usually far
over my head, but maybe I'll learn if I keep reading, I hope.
  I took the machine apart 5 to 10 times over Thanksgiving and several times
over Christmas and New Years.  Put in the new Motherboard, put in  the new
power supply. Disassembled adjusted the video plug into 14 components at
least twice.  Last time I put in upside down and blew the monitor.
  Manfred Frey disassembled and checked much of the machine for half a
day Saturday before last. Some time the thing would go, other times not.
He says he can't find any high voltage in the monitor. I called a guy
back east who has a monitor to sell. I told him if I can raise the money
I'll buy that from him.
  When I put in the new motherboard I then installed my 1.5 meg combo card
and my dos card. The machine said it had 3.5 meg.  I was exstatic until the
next day and it wouldn't boot.
  I am not seeking an apology from Thad.  Obviously he had no way of knowing
what had happend. It was just one of those luck occurances. But isn't that
Murphy's Law. As soon as I open my mouth something will go wrong.
  I do think that both DOS and BBS's are useable on the unix-pc and unless
someone has the "official definition" of who can say what...

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (01/07/91)

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) writes:

>his reply.  My general concern is who defines what belongs to what.  I have

Who here is the group of people who start the newsgroup.  For example, read
the charter proposed for comp.sys.3b1.  No one person defines what is OK
and what is not.  There has been developed on this group a tradition that
postings which are primarily IBM-PC-related are very annoying and are to
be heavily discouraged.

>  Thus I though that the querry about BBS's in the Bay Area was quit
>germain to the topic.

I think this is a good way to look at it, but it is not the model that is
generally accepted on the net.  A good example is the recent discussion
about the C-language function 'printf' and its behaviour on the unix-pc.
There has been a lot of discussion about it, and no-one has complained.
I think the reason is that the discussion has primarily focussed on how
the unix-pc 'printf' is different than that on most other unix systems.

If someone had written in that they could not figure out how to get printf
output to go to a file instead of stdout, however, the discussion probably
would not have been tolerated for long; someone would have suggested that
the poster pose his question in comp.lang.c, probably.

This sort of thing happens much more quickly here when the posting is
related to PCs, but it is very much the same sort of thing.  There is
a group called alt.bbs which would have been a suitable forum for your
topic, and probably several others I don't know about.

So in a way, your topic does have some relation to the unix-pc since you
can use it to access a BBS, but the primary aspect of the topic has nothing
to do with the unix-pc, just as even though the fictional poster can run C
on the unix-pc, her question is specifically a C question, not a unix-pc
question.

Hope this helps.  Should say this is the way I understand it; I've been
proven before to have an imperfect understanding sometimes :)

					Jeff