[comp.sys.att] 3b1 BOF in Dallas?

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (12/27/90)

Is anyone organizing a unix-pc BOF for the winter Usenix in
Dallas?  If not, could whoever has done it in the past (Lenny?) drop
me some hints about how I might go about it?  I can't make any
guarantees, but I would like to have one; my mother told me if I BOF
by myself I'll go blind. :-)
--
John R. MacMillan       | I wish I had a nickname like Crusher, Snake or Dennis
john@chance.UUCP        | Because guys with nicknames always get the gal.

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (12/31/90)

>Is anyone organizing a unix-pc BOF for the winter Usenix in
>Dallas?

I organized the original 3B1 BOF a few years back (in San Diego??) and I
am willing to set one up for Dallas.  Lenny has indicated to me in private
mail that he will probably not be attending the conference, although maybe
we can coax him to drop by for the BOF.  What I need from all of you is a
little information to help get things rolling.  If you see this message by
Thursday or Friday, please respond quickly with answers to the following
questions.

1. What day is best for you?  The choices are Tuesday, Wednesday, and
Thursday.  Please indicate a first and second choice.

2. What time is best for you?  This can be related to the first question
if you want (i.e. wed at 8 is best, thurs at 9 is second).  Note that the
only scheduled event listed in the conference brochure is the USENIX
reception which is Thursday from 6 to 8 PM.

3. What topics would you like to see presentation about?

4. What topics are you willing to give a presentation about?

Now that I think about it, the questions are listed in reverse order of
importance.  In order to have a succesfull BOF we need to have people who
are willing to give presentations.  The presentations do not need to be
anything elaborate, they just need to be pertinent to the 3B1.  I will
probably give a presentation on how I adapted the ICUS 2 disk upgrade to
suit my requirements and maybe others can do the same so everyone can
compare notes.  (just to whet your appetite, I built the ICUS upgrade as a
printed circuit board that plugged directly into the socket on the mother
board.  come to the BOF and hear all the details and get a copy of the
schematics!) I may also divulge some of my recent software adventures and
others are encouraged to do likewise.  Perhaps the person who was talking
about a scsi/combo/etc board could present the current status of the
board.

One last thing that perhaps should be addressed is the possibility of
setting up a software exchange.  To do this we need two things:  first we
need people who will bring in software to be exchanged and second we need
to secure the use of a machine to do it on.  I purposely ordered these
items the way I did because I have seen a software exchange attempted
twice in the past, the first time I brought in some software and the
second time Lenny brought in some software.  Unless more people are
willing to bring in software then it doesn't really work.  On the other
hand, this is a cheap way to distribute a lot of software to a lot of
people so maybe I will do it anyway if we can find a machine.  If there is
any particular software that you want (and that I can legally give you),
let me know and if I dont already have it I will attempt to locate it.  I
will post a list of what I've got as soon as I get a chance to inventory
it.  Remember to bring lots of blank disks!
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (01/01/91)

In article <1103@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
>>Is anyone organizing a unix-pc BOF for the winter Usenix in
>>Dallas?
>
>I organized the original 3B1 BOF a few years back (in San Diego??) and I
>am willing to set one up for Dallas.  Lenny has indicated to me in private
>mail that he will probably not be attending the conference, although maybe
>we can coax him to drop by for the BOF.  What I need from all of you is a

Come on Lenny!  You're so close to Dallas now that there's no excuse! :-)

>little information to help get things rolling.  If you see this message by
>Thursday or Friday, please respond quickly with answers to the following
>questions.

>3. What topics would you like to see presentation about?

In no particular order:

o The disk system (with the HC11) that Thad talked about a while ago.
o On board implementations of the ICUS upgrade.
o Any information on taking apart/re-implementing the gd driver (I'm working
  on this).
o The SCSI interface project.
o The mondo combo board.
o The status of all that locked software that exists but we can't get our
  hands on.
o Installation demo of the JBM HD2 kit (and delivery of mine if possible!)
o Conversion demo of a 0K RAM to fully populated.  As an aside to this, could
  anybody with access to the required glue chips bring a reasonable
  quantity if there is interest?  I know I would want one of each to
  upgrade one board.
o Software demos of whatever is available that is not trivial to install or
  is huge (I'd be interested in seeing how TeX/Metafont works with the 3b1
  previewer and 3b1 printers, also how about a spice demo?)

>setting up a software exchange.  To do this we need two things:  first we

I definitely would like this.  Can somebody bring a binary of gcc 1.38, that
has just been released?

I would also be interested in application spreadsheets for sc or smart,
database definitions or any other application written for the smart system,
and voice board applications.

>need people who will bring in software to be exchanged and second we need
>to secure the use of a machine to do it on.  I purposely ordered these
>items the way I did because I have seen a software exchange attempted
>twice in the past, the first time I brought in some software and the
>second time Lenny brought in some software.  Unless more people are
>willing to bring in software then it doesn't really work.  On the other

What software do you have in mind?  Anything that is available on the net
but is particularly big would seem to ba a good candidate.

Can someone with connections get proper authorizations to release some
of the previously unreleased stuff?

>hand, this is a cheap way to distribute a lot of software to a lot of
>people so maybe I will do it anyway if we can find a machine.  If there is
>any particular software that you want (and that I can legally give you),
>let me know and if I dont already have it I will attempt to locate it.  I
>will post a list of what I've got as soon as I get a chance to inventory
>it.  Remember to bring lots of blank disks!

I'll be there with lots of them!

Comments/additions, anyone?

>--
>David H. Brierley
>Home: dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com
>Can I be excused, my brain is full.

--
Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc@shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

gil@limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (01/01/91)

In article <1103@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
>probably give a presentation on how I adapted the ICUS 2 disk upgrade to
>suit my requirements and maybe others can do the same so everyone can
>compare notes.  (just to whet your appetite, I built the ICUS upgrade as a
>printed circuit board that plugged directly into the socket on the mother
>board.  come to the BOF and hear all the details and get a copy of the
>schematics!

I'm not trying to sound like I'm policing the upgrade plans much, but
what exactly are you planning to give out when you give out these
schematics?  I couldn't imagine that the schematic for the PC board
could be much different than the one that you'd use for a board that
was connected to the motherboard with wires.  I'm not incredibly concerned
with presenting of ideas about the upgrade, but I am concerned with
copying the plans without at least letting me know first, particularly
because those who did pay for the plans might be a tad disappointed.

I'll post an update later about whether I will actually be at USENIX
this year.  The problem that Lenny and I both have really has nothing to
do with the lack of desire to be there, but more that we just moved and
started new jobs, and find it difficult to get to USENIX for various
reasons.  I'm still thinking about whether I'll be able to make it or
not.

--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil@limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (01/02/91)

Several people have written to me asking for information about the upcoming
USENIX conference so I figured I would just post a short blurb and cover
everybody all at once.

The Winter 1991 USENIX Technical Conference will be held in Dallas during
the week of January 21st through January 25th.  Monday and Tuesday will
consist of all-day tutorials on a variety of subjects and the remainder
of the week will consist of technical presentations ranging in length
from 20 minutes to an hour.  All tutorials and technical presentations
will be held at the Grand Kempinski Hotel.  The cost is $225 for the
technical sessions and $225 for a tutorial.  There is also a $50 late
registration fee (after 1/2/91) and a $50 non-member fee (which also buys
you a years membership to USENIX).  Contact the USENIX conference office
(714-588-8649) if you want more information.

You do not have to be attending the conference in order to attend one of
the BOF sessions, although the conference folk will probably try to tell
you otherwise.  The BOFs are all held in the evening and there is nobody
checking conference id cards at the door so if you are interested in the
3B1/7300/s4/unix-pc/... and you will be in the area (or live in the area)
then "come on down!".
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb@quahog.ssd.ray.com
Can I be excused, my brain is full.

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (01/09/91)

I called the USENIX conference office this morning and scheduled a BOF for
Thursday evening at 8pm (after the USENIX reception).  It's not completely
official yet because I have to get clearance from the "USENIX BOF
coordinator".  Apparently this is something new they have started to make
sure that BOFs are not in fact marketing pitches.  I was told that I just
missed the deadline for having the BOF listed in the pre-printed handouts
but it will be listed on the BOF schedule board in the conference
registration area.  I told them I was expecting around 40 people so make
sure you all show up or else you'll make me look like a liar.

Now, I need everyone who is working on anything that is even remotely
interesting to volunteer to tell us all about it.  I am not expecting
anything elaborate, a simple 5 minute talk explaining what you are doing,
maybe a few diagrams and maybe a simple handout.  If you want to do a
handout, please make copies or send me the source files and I will make
copies.  I can handle troff, ascii, cheap-draw, paint-power, and postscript.

If there is something that you have a burning desire to learn about let
me know what it is and I will attempt to locate someone who can talk
about it.

Is there anyone in the area that is willing to bring in a machine so that
we can set up some kind of software exchange?  USENIX usually has a room
set up with a few machines in it for the purpose of copying GNU software
and other stuff so maybe we could set the machine up there or if you are
paranoid about the machine we can just have it set up in the back of the
room during the BOF.  If we have a machine available maybe we could do a
live demonstration of how to open it up.

The following topics have already been suggested as possible topics for
the BOF.  If you would like to talk about one or more of them, you will
be heartily welcomed.  If you can convince someone else to talk about
one or more of them, you will both be heartily welcomed.  If you would like
to talk about something that is not already on my list, you will be
heartily welcomed.  And, last but not least, if you just want to come and
hear what other people have to say, you will be heartily welcomed.

List of potential topics:
  - ICUS upgrade, especially variations (on-board, etc)
  - Milton upgrade
  - SCSI project
  - Mondo Combo Board
  - S/W that exists within ATT but is not available to us
  - what is *really* on 3.51m (beyond what the release notes say)
  - the future of the machine
  - setting up a UUCP connection
  - MINIX port (?? !!)
  - mgr applications
  - hardware hacks in progress

This list is by no means complete and I strongly urge people to come with
other ideas (and hopefully come up with people to talk about them).

As a further comment on the last item, if you have something you have
been tinkering with, or even something you have just been thinking about,
please share it with us.  Maybe we can give you some ideas, some insight,
and maybe even some assistance!

One last thing:  I would appreciate it if everyone who is considering coming
to the BOF would send me mail before 1/18/91 so that I will know if my
estimate of 40 people is way off base and we either need a bigger room or if
we should just move the whole thing to my hotel room.