[comp.sys.att] 3B1 hard disk gone south?

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (01/01/91)

I MOVED my unix-pc, and suddenly the machine won't boot
off of the harddisk -- all 4 leds remain lit, and the screen
fills up with those cute little squares.

I managed to boot off of the floppy disk (Foundation set #2),
when it asks for disk 3 and I insert it,
it fails: (3 identical HDERR lines)

#HDERR ST:1 EF:4 CL:4200 SN:4200 SC:4202 SDH:4220 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:F0
MCRREG:8F00
#HDERR ST:1 EF:4 CL:4200 SN:4200 SC:4202 SDH:4220 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:F0
MCRREG:8F00
#HDERR ST:1 EF:4 CL:4200 SN:4200 SC:4202 SDH:4220 DMACNT:FFFF DCRREG:F0
MCRREG:8F00
panic:iinit

I once saw an explanation of these message, but I cannot find
it in the notes I have saved.
A copy of the system diagnostics says:
	Recal Disk

	Hard disk restore failed

				** ERROR **
Test   : Hard disk test( Drive 0 )
Subtest: Recalibrate.
Pass   : 3
Error  : WINCHESTER:Can't Recal:Response = 4

and then some more similar message for subsequent tests,
all compaining they can't Recal:Response = 4.

I can't find my references to the meaning of the HD errs,
does anybody out there have any ideas on how to fix this?

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (01/03/91)

In article <649@hico2.UUCP>, I (kak@hico2.westmark.com) write:
> I MOVED my unix-pc, and suddenly the machine won't boot
> off of the harddisk -- all 4 leds remain lit, and the screen
> fills up with those cute little squares.
 . . .
> A copy of the system diagnostics says:
> 	Recal Disk
>
> 	Hard disk restore failed

Well, so much for that.  Now, the diagnostic disk won't boot EITHER.
I have no idea what would cause a progressive failure like this.
Maybe it's time to check the power supply . . . . .

kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) (01/09/91)

In article <671@hico2.UUCP>, I (kak@hico2.westmark.com) write:
> In article <649@hico2.UUCP>, I (kak@hico2.westmark.com) write:
> > I MOVED my unix-pc, and suddenly the machine won't boot
> > off of the harddisk -- all 4 leds remain lit, and the screen
> > fills up with those cute little squares.
. . .
> Now, the diagnostic disk won't boot EITHER.
> I have no idea what would cause a progressive failure like this.
> Maybe it's time to check the power supply . . . . .

Well, I haven't checked the power supply YET.  I've un-plugged and
re-plugged all of the socketed chips on the top part of the motherboard,
and done the same with the connectors to the harddisk and floppydisk.
I've remove the harddisk.  I tried exchanging the WD1010 for a WD2010
I have waiting to go in.  I tried putting 220 volts AC directly across
the M68010 leads.  No, I didn't do that.  But I still get those cute
li'l squares no matter what I do, and I can't boot the diagnostic floppy.

The machine is still interacting with the floppy, if I open the
latch, the generation of the squares stops.

I'm not sure whether there's anything useful to try with the bottom
of the motherboard, but I'm not really sure how to get to it anyway.
I could try unscrewing screws at random, but the last time I did that
(on another machine) I ended up with several screws left over.

Does anybody have any problem-specific ideas?   I'm usually a
software person, and most of my hardware experience is with using
hammers and screwdrivers.  So if you have suggestions, make sure
you include a good mail address so I can ask you what you mean.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak@hico2.westmark.com

njc@rick.att.com (Neil Cherry) (01/11/91)

In article <725@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.westmark.com writes:

[Stuff delete because I wanted to.]
>I have waiting to go in.  I tried putting 220 volts AC directly across
>the M68010 leads.  No, I didn't do that.  But I still get those cute

WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY ;-} Try 440 3 phase and don't forget to yell Clear!

Actually sounds like you've got some bad hardware, I not yet that familiar
with the 'guts' of the 3B1. But if it turns out to be a drive problem try
turning the head spindle by hand if you can get to it.

NJC