[comp.sys.att] The KORN SHELL

forrie@morwyn.uucp (/dev/w1) in <1991Jan7.035239.877@morwyn.uucp> writes:

	I am wondering about the KSH.  Someone tells me that the one
	distributed with the 2.0 fixes is 'braindamaged' ... will someone
	please tell me which verion WORKS right?  Why is it brain damaged,
	what can be done to change it, etc etc...

	I like some of the features of the KSH, but since everyone always says
	that there are a lot of differences in compatibility with the SH, I
	have avoided it... but realistically, there's not much sense in
	avoiding it if you can fix it, or find out what's wrong...

I'm the one who claimed it's braindamaged, and it is (even the version that
accompanied the FIXDISK2).  I posted the original details years ago and
cannot quickly find them, but among the problems were incorrect evaluation
of arithmetic expressions and some others ...

The version you WANT (and which, interestingly, has the fixes that were made
to the FIXDISK2 ksh) is the one from osu-cis in the att7300/STORE directory
which is version "06/03/86".  You could use "strings" to ascertain the version
but the easiest is to be in emacs mode and type a ^V (control-V).

As far as any alleged incompatibilty with "sh", I really haven't found any,
and "ksh" is even root's default shell on ALL my systems.  The only quirk using
ksh for root is that some custom crontab entries may cause the message
"Nonstandard shell" to appear in the cronlog and abort; the "fix" to this is
to have entries in crontab like (which, by the way, IS my /usr/lib/crontab):

#sccs	"@(#)fndcmd:crontab	1.7"
#
#Mn  Hr Da Mo Da (0=SUN, 1=MON, 2=TUE, 3=WED, 4=THU, 5=FRI, 6=SAT)
#of  of of of of
#Hr  Da Mo Yr Wk  Command
#
16,46 *  *  *  *  /bin/su uucpadm -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.poll    >/dev/null"
18,48 *  *  *  *  /bin/su uucpadm -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.hour    >/dev/null"
00    4  *  *  *  /bin/su uucpadm -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.admin   >/dev/null"
59   23  *  *  *  /bin/sh         -c "/usr/local/bin/hdwarn.day     >/dev/null"
59   23  *  *  *  /bin/sh         -c "/usr/local/bin/du-logs.day    >/dev/null"
03    3  *  *  0  /bin/sh         -c "/etc/clockupd.wk              >/dev/null"
30    5  *  *  1  /bin/su uucpadm -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.cleanu  >/dev/null"
30    5  *  *  1  /bin/sh         -c "/etc/cleanup.wk               >/dev/null"

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (01/13/91)

In article <37920@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>forrie@morwyn.uucp (/dev/w1) in <1991Jan7.035239.877@morwyn.uucp> writes:
>
>	I am wondering about the KSH.  Someone tells me that the one
>	distributed with the 2.0 fixes is 'braindamaged' ... will someone
>	please tell me which verion WORKS right?  Why is it brain damaged,
>	what can be done to change it, etc etc...
>
>I'm the one who claimed it's braindamaged, and it is (even the version that
>accompanied the FIXDISK2).  I posted the original details years ago and
>cannot quickly find them, but among the problems were incorrect evaluation
>of arithmetic expressions and some others ...
>
>The version you WANT (and which, interestingly, has the fixes that were made
>to the FIXDISK2 ksh) is the one from osu-cis in the att7300/STORE directory
>which is version "06/03/86".  You could use "strings" to ascertain the version
>but the easiest is to be in emacs mode and type a ^V (control-V).
>

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

Does this mean that I should get the version from the STORE even if I have
FIXDISK2 ??  [Thad, you're not quite clear]

Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the ksh88e
sources on OSU ??]
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) in <1991Jan12.220430.1078@wa8tzg.mi.org>
writes:

+ >I'm the one who claimed it's braindamaged, and it is (even the version that
+ >accompanied the FIXDISK2).  I posted the original details years ago and
+ >cannot quickly find them, but among the problems were incorrect evaluation
+ >of arithmetic expressions and some others ...
+ >
+
+ Does this mean that I should get the version from the STORE even if I have
+ FIXDISK2 ??  [Thad, you're not quite clear]

Yes, you want the "STORE" version of ksh.  That version works with the stuff
documented in "THE KORN SHELL" book; the version on FIXDISK2 does NOT work.

+ Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the ksh88e
+ sources on OSU ??]

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!  If that's on osu-cis, someone's gonna be in deep doo-doo.

ksh88e is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT of AT&T and costs $3,000 for source and some
$10,000 for binary (you figure WHY binary costs more than source! :-)

Are you SURE you're not referring to the "PD ksh" clone that recently was
posted to alt.sources?

writes:

	Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the
	ksh88e sources on OSU ??]

If you DID see the ksh88e sources at osu, they're not there now.  Just 10
minutes ago I checked all three:

	tut.cis.ohio-state.edu		[IP 128.146.8.60]
	cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu	[IP 128.146.8.62]
	saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu	[IP 128.146.8.98]

by doing an "ls -lR" from the root directory, then "grep -in" the dir lists for
all of "korn","88e","ksh","shell","sh" and didn't see anything suspicious.

What I found were (on cheops):

	csh-src.tar.Z	presumably "csh" source
	KSH+IN.Z	3B1 installable binary

And I also noticed the pub/att7300 directory on cheops hasn't been updated
in awhile, but did notice that lavg-daemon.Z was clobbered on Dec 31 12:51;
it's length is now zero.

What makes(made) you believe the sources to ksh88e are at OSU?

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (01/13/91)

>ksh88e is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT of AT&T and costs $3,000 for source and some
>$10,000 for binary (you figure WHY binary costs more than source! :-)

The $10k is a license from AT&T to sell the binary, not the cost
of the binary.

john@banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) (01/14/91)

Someone asked, and then Thad answered:

>+ Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the ksh88e
>+ sources on OSU ??]
>
>WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!  If that's on osu-cis, someone's gonna be in deep doo-doo.
>
>ksh88e is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT of AT&T and costs $3,000 for source and some
>$10,000 for binary (you figure WHY binary costs more than source! :-)

The source code for ksh88e costs $3,000.  The right to sell/distribute
the binaries costs $10,000; the source comes with this right.  That is
why the binary seems to cost more than the source.

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (01/14/91)

In article <37974@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) in <1991Jan12.220430.1078@wa8tzg.mi.org>
>writes:
>
>	Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the
>	ksh88e sources on OSU ??]
>
>If you DID see the ksh88e sources at osu, they're not there now.  Just 10
>minutes ago I checked all three:
>
>	tut.cis.ohio-state.edu		[IP 128.146.8.60]
>	cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu	[IP 128.146.8.62]
>	saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu	[IP 128.146.8.98]
>
>by doing an "ls -lR" from the root directory, then "grep -in" the dir lists for
>all of "korn","88e","ksh","shell","sh" and didn't see anything suspicious.
>
>What I found were (on cheops):
>
>	csh-src.tar.Z	presumably "csh" source
>	KSH+IN.Z	3B1 installable binary
>
>And I also noticed the pub/att7300 directory on cheops hasn't been updated
>in awhile, but did notice that lavg-daemon.Z was clobbered on Dec 31 12:51;
>it's length is now zero.
>
>What makes(made) you believe the sources to ksh88e are at OSU?
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

A ls-lR file uucp'ed from osu-cis on Nov 11, 1990 contained the following:

>>>	receive:
>>>	total 2
>>>	drwxrwxrwx  3 uucp         2048 Nov  8 02:00 perlman
>>>
>>>	receive/perlman:
>>>	total 2
>>>	drwxrwxrwx  3 uucp         2048 Nov  8 05:45 toolchest
>>>
>>>	receive/perlman/toolchest:
>>>	total 10
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp         7374 Nov  8 05:45 INSTALL
>>>	drwxrwxrwx  4 uucp         2048 Nov  8 05:32 ksh-i
>>>
>>>	receive/perlman/toolchest/ksh-i:
>>>	total 4
>>>	drwxrwxrwx  2 uucp         2048 Nov  8 05:31 src
>>>	drwxrwxrwx  2 uucp         2048 Nov  8 05:44 unfmt
>>>
>>>	receive/perlman/toolchest/ksh-i/src:
>>>	total 810
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp          136 Nov  8 02:00 1thank_you
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp        95662 Nov  8 02:06 ksh-88e.0b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       105512 Nov  8 03:01 ksh-88e.1b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       108133 Nov  8 03:06 ksh-88e.2b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       129195 Nov  8 05:07 ksh-88e.3b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       109959 Nov  8 05:16 ksh-88e.4b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       121299 Nov  8 05:24 ksh-88e.5b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp       114092 Nov  8 05:27 ksh-88e.6b
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp        35540 Nov  8 05:31 ksh-88e.7b
>>>
>>>	receive/perlman/toolchest/ksh-i/unfmt:
>>>	total 166
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp          136 Nov  8 05:32 1thank_you
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp         4915 Nov  8 05:33 PROMO
>>>	-rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp        97966 Nov  8 05:39 sh.1
>>>     -rwxrwxrwx  1 uucp        63348 Nov  8 05:44 sh.memo

I **THOUGHT** something seemed amiss here since (the last I'd heard) ksh88e
was a commercial product.  Someone at OSU should be more careful!  the
'receive' directory was world-accessible (777) so that anyone who logged in
that day (or until it was discovered and removed) could have slurped up a
copy!  [For the file police - I DID NOT THEN OR EVER DO THAT!!!!]

I'm quite glad that this has been straightened up.  Hate to get anyone in
trouble but I'd also hate to see the OSU archives become unavailable!

--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |
uunet!mailrus!sharkey!wa8tzg!wwm |   All you have to do is put the right
"Home for Cybernetic Orphans"    |   numbers in the right memory locations!

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) in <1991Jan14.011752.2384@wa8tzg.mi.org>
writes:

	[...]
	I **THOUGHT** something seemed amiss here since (the last I'd heard)
	ksh88e was a commercial product.  Someone at OSU should be more
	careful!  the 'receive' directory was world-accessible (777) so that
	anyone who logged in that day (or until it was discovered and removed)
	could have slurped up a copy!  [For the file police - I DID NOT THEN
	OR EVER DO THAT!!!!]

	I'm quite glad that this has been straightened up.  Hate to get anyone
	in trouble but I'd also hate to see the OSU archives become
	unavailable!

Whew!  You're not kidding.  And I should have remembered from my signing onto
the Toolchest last year that when one orders something the order is shipped
via uucp to a site of one's choosing.

If someone has Karl Kleinpaste's email address handy, he should be advised of
this to PREVENT any problems in the future; seems like "maybe" a simple umask
change is all that's required to prevent us all from getting more gray hairs
over the thought of losing a resource like osu-cis.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

jfischer@cbnewsm.att.com (james.fischer) (01/15/91)

	Thad mentioned that he did not know why BINARY for Korn Shell
	costs $10K, while source rights are $3K....

	The $3K gives you the right to use the source as you see fit
	on a single machine.  This is "Right To Use".  The $10K puts
	you in business to SELL the Korn Shell to others in Binary form.

	Of course, the Toolchest prices are ALL YOU EVER PAY!

	This means that for a lousy $13K, you can sell an UNLIMITED
	number of copies, and never pay UNIX System Labs another cent
	(once you pay the $13K).  You have no royalties to pay on copies
	EVER.

	Not such a bad deal...

						james fischer
						UNIX System Labs

bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) (01/16/91)

In article <37920@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>which is version "06/03/86".  You could use "strings" to ascertain the version
>but the easiest is to be in emacs mode and type a ^V (control-V).

what(1) also works, if you have it.

>As far as any alleged incompatibilty with "sh", I really haven't found any,
>and "ksh" is even root's default shell on ALL my systems.  The only quirk using
>ksh for root is that some custom crontab entries may cause the message
>"Nonstandard shell" to appear in the cronlog and abort; the "fix" to this is
>to have entries in crontab like (which, by the way, IS my /usr/lib/crontab):

Linking /bin/ksh to /bin/sh also works (the documentation said it was OK
with this version, so I tried it on one machine about 5 months ago -- no
problems (yet)).  However, ksh does use a startup file ($ENV), which can
slow things down, and may cause unexpected things to happens if the
startup file writes anything to stdout.

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

lefko@vaxwaller.UUCP (Marty Lefkowitz) (01/18/91)

I've been using the GNU Born Again SHell (BASH) for a few months now.
While I admit I'm no developer, it does seem to work for me.  It's got
functions, or whatever they call it, just like KSH, forground and
background processes and command line history and editing.  I'd love
to get a manual for it so I could delve deeper into it, but I don't
have the time or space to deal with tex, and as far as I know the
manual is not really formalized.  However it is enough like KSH, CSH
and SH for me to use it.  The only bug that bothers me, is one
concering the abort function "^g" in emacs.  It seems to cause some
sort of error bad enough to log me out.

It was not that hard to get it running either.