[comp.sys.att] EPORTS Hardware Hand Shaking

Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.oneb.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) (01/28/91)

Howdy,
   I am trying to figure out a way to make my the EPORTS card in my 3B2/400
(running System V Release 3.2) do hardware handshaking.  It is a very easy
matter to make the EPORTS card use HARDWARE in a sh/ksh environment by
using the "epstty hfc" command.

   But in a UUCP environment, with uucico as the shell program, you don't run
any shell scripts, and the /etc/gettydefs doesn't have any provisions for
hardware flow control...  (unless I am missing something?)

   I have verified that hardware handshake is alive and well after the "epstty
hfc" and verified the 3B2 is ignoring hardware handshaking otherwise...

Cheers.....

                                            ----- Robb ----

---
 * Origin: Sir HackAlot's Castle, Port Alberni, B.C. (89:684/1) (89:684/1)
--
        Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.oneb.onebdos.UUCP

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (02/02/91)

In article <5258.27A7B3ED@onebdos.oneb.wimsey.bc.ca>, Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.oneb.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) writes:
<
<    I am trying to figure out a way to make my the EPORTS card in my 3B2/400
< (running System V Release 3.2) do hardware handshaking.  It is a very easy
< matter to make the EPORTS card use HARDWARE in a sh/ksh environment by
< using the "epstty hfc" command.
<
<    But in a UUCP environment, with uucico as the shell program, you don't run
< any shell scripts, and the /etc/gettydefs doesn't have any provisions for
< hardware flow control...  (unless I am missing something?)
<                                             ----- Robb ----
< ---
<  * Origin: Sir HackAlot's Castle, Port Alberni, B.C. (89:684/1) (89:684/1)
< --
<         Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
<         Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.oneb.onebdos.UUCP

I ran into this same problem with EPORTS some time ago Robb, from what I
can remember when the getty 'respawns', your nice hardware handshaking
is overwritten.  I remember scratching my head over this for some time.
I think I was able to get the "epstty hfc" into the inittab file, but
really don't remember.  It will be interesting to see if anyone else
comes up with an answer to this question.

I saw the source for some type of "getty" posted not too long ago.
Maybe that would be the place to attack the problem..

Phil

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/03/91)

Robb.Thomas@f1.n684.z89.oneb.onebdos.UUCP (Robb Thomas) writes:

>Howdy,
>   I am trying to figure out a way to make my the EPORTS card in my 3B2/400
>(running System V Release 3.2) do hardware handshaking.  It is a very easy
>matter to make the EPORTS card use HARDWARE in a sh/ksh environment by
>using the "epstty hfc" command.

>   But in a UUCP environment, with uucico as the shell program, you don't run
>any shell scripts, and the /etc/gettydefs doesn't have any provisions for
>hardware flow control...  (unless I am missing something?)

I wrote a C program to set harware flow control and exec uucico (uucico.hfc).
I set up uucp's login shell to be uucico.hfc.  Now when uucp logs in,
uucico.hfc sets HFC and execs uucico.  Viola.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.