[comp.sys.att] I-node limit on 3B2 with System V R3.2.2

hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) (02/05/91)

I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
is trying to keep a full feed of USENET on this machine.  So, I'm desperately
hoping that someone in this group can show me a solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

pgn@cbnewsc.att.com (Novorolsky) (02/05/91)

From article <768@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, by hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ):
> I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
> is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
> would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
> is trying to keep a full feed of USENET on this machine.  So, I'm desperately
> hoping that someone in this group can show me a solution for this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Oliver

This is a limitation of the UNIX System V file system (S5) type.
The inode number in an s5 directory structure is as an unsigned
short (16bits) and the number of inodes in a file system is
therefore 65536 (64K). (Look in /usr/include/sys/fs/s5dir.h)

If you need mode than 64K inodes, you will have to break
up your news directories to span more than one filesystem.

**paul novorolsky
( !att!iwtpm!pgn, pgn@iwtpm.att.com, attmail!pnovorolsky)

jrallen@devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) (02/06/91)

In article <768@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:
>I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
>is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
>would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who

Yep, I have the very same problem.  This seems to be a MAJOR limitation to
running news on a 3B2.  I have plenty of disk space, but hit the 64K inode
limit.  The only alternative I know (besides using something else) is to
hack up news to allow multple file systems under /usr/spool/news.  Mods like
this have been/or are availble, but I have not used them.

-Jon

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (02/07/91)

In article <1844@devildog.att.com> jrallen@devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) writes:
>In article <768@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:
>>I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
>>is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
>>would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
>
>Yep, I have the very same problem.  This seems to be a MAJOR limitation to
>running news on a 3B2.  I have plenty of disk space, but hit the 64K inode
>limit.  The only alternative I know (besides using something else) is to
>hack up news to allow multple file systems under /usr/spool/news.  Mods like
>this have been/or are availble, but I have not used them.
>
>-Jon

To clarify: running news on multiple partitions is (naively) a breeze. However,
the same machines with the 64K inode limit tend to lack symbolic links. So
articles cross-posted over multiple partitions break (EXDEV) in the absence of
special handling by the news software (which needs to copy, instead of link,
such articles). This is the reason why mods to the news software is necessary
to do this kind of thing.

Such mods are available for B News to run on multiple partitions, but, as far
as I know, and last time I looked, there were no such mods for C News. This is
a shame, because, IMHO, C News is a -must- for anyone trying to run a serious
news site on a 3B2. We watched "ole faithful" B News rnews literally get
buried under our incoming feed before we grudgingly made the switchover. And
feed-size, like entropy, does not -decrease- over time...

Cfctech (3B2/1000 Model 80, SysVr3.2.2) currently runs C News on 3 partitions
with the aid of my own hacks. Our full feed would have been down to a 9-day
expire by now (if that) if we were still stuck on a single partition. As it
is, we can manage 14 days comfortably.

If/when I get things streamlined, cleaned up, and completely tested, and
assuming the C News people are interested, I'll pass the mods along.

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin 	  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		  | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (02/08/91)

In article <1844@devildog.att.com> jrallen@devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) writes:
>In article <768@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:
>>I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
>>is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
>>would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
>
>Yep, I have the very same problem.  This seems to be a MAJOR limitation to
>running news on a 3B2.  I have plenty of disk space, but hit the 64K inode
>limit.  The only alternative I know (besides using something else) is to
>hack up news to allow multple file systems under /usr/spool/news.  Mods like
>this have been/or are availble, but I have not used them.

	If you have an extra filesystem to use, just stop news from running,
use du to identify some branch at the first level below /usr/spool/news
which has a large chunk of news volume (Ideal would be about 50%, but
whatever you can find under a single subtree), use cpio or tar to move its
contents to the spare filesystem, rm -rf that filetree on the original
filesystem, mkdir the top point of the subtree, and mount the new partition
on that point.  Remember to modify your boot-up scripts (/etc/rc and
whatever else it invokes on your system) so the new partition gets remounted
every time you boot, and to make sure that fsck gives the filesystem its
blessing (/etc/checklist).  At this point, you now have a fresh 64k inodes
for the aprox half of the news to live in.

	If your 3b2 is like my 3b1, df(1), mount(1), and some other things
may truncate the name of the mount point in reports, but if you KNOW where
things are, I think that everything will be allright. (My /usr/spool/news
gets reported as /usr/spool :-) (No - I'm not getting a full newsfeed -
thank God.)

	Also - be sure to mount filesystems in the right order!  If
/usr/spool is mounted on /usr, be sure to mount it BEFORE trying to mount
/usr/spool/news/<some_tree>

	Good luck - and remember that this hasn't been tried on a 3b2 by ME,
since I dont have one.

	DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

In article <1991Feb7.164759.4550@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
>In article <1844@devildog.att.com> jrallen@devildog.att.com (Jon Allen) writes:
>>In article <768@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:
>>>I'm running System V R 3.2.2 on a 3B2/600G machine, and it seems that there
>>>is a limit of 64K i-nodes for a file system.  If this is true, then this
>>>would be a very serious failing, especially for someone like me who
>>
>>Yep, I have the very same problem.  This seems to be a MAJOR limitation to
>>running news on a 3B2.  I have plenty of disk space, but hit the 64K inode
>>limit.  The only alternative I know (besides using something else) is to
>>hack up news to allow multple file systems under /usr/spool/news.  Mods like
>>this have been/or are availble, but I have not used them.
>
>	If you have an extra filesystem to use, just stop news from running,
>use du to identify some branch at the first level below /usr/spool/news

   [ lots of my article deleted ... ]

	DON'T TRY THIS!  I neglected to consider the effects of
cross-posting.  Sorry to all for the waste of net.bandwidth

	DoN.