[comp.sys.att] 6300 networking

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (02/02/91)

Howdy net.folk. A friend is trying to get some 6300 systems
networked using Novel Netware. Is this possible? Anyone out there
has done it? Can you shed some lite on the subject please?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies (even if they are flames :-) ).

beh@po.CWRU.Edu (Bob E. Hetzel) (02/03/91)

In a previous article, hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) says:

>Howdy net.folk. A friend is trying to get some 6300 systems
>networked using Novel Netware. Is this possible? Anyone out there
>has done it? Can you shed some lite on the subject please?

it can be done, but there are memory conflicts of
some sort with the standard at&t starlan fiber card
that we use here at case western reserve univ.  we
have fixed the problem by using 3com cards that have
onboard memory.  cabletron cards also work (at least on
a 6300+) .

--
A Surgical Strike, We've taught them not to feel
Performance is their task

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb3.035942.23719@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> beh@po.CWRU.Edu (Bob E. Hetzel) writes:

>In a previous article, hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) says:
>

>>Howdy net.folk. A friend is trying to get some 6300 systems
>>networked using Novel Netware. Is this possible? Anyone out there
>>has done it? Can you shed some lite on the subject please?
>
>it can be done, but there are memory conflicts of
>some sort with the standard at&t starlan fiber card
>that we use here at case western reserve univ.  we
>have fixed the problem by using 3com cards that have
>onboard memory.  cabletron cards also work (at least on
>a 6300+) .

we have a classroom full of single floppy 6300's which used to connect to a
3B2 using starlan 1 NIC's and starlan software.

we dropped a starlan 1 NIC into a Novell server, plugged it into the hub,
rebooted the 6300's with a novell style boot disk and whamo, instant novell
network.

i was quite pleased with how smoothly it changed over.

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim@lsuc.on.ca  home: merce@iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[     "I am pro-military.  I am not pro-war.  There is a big difference"      ]

In article <1991Feb7.024608.12819@iguana.uucp> merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) writes:

>we have a classroom full of single floppy 6300's which used to connect to a
>3B2 using starlan 1 NIC's and starlan software.

>we dropped a starlan 1 NIC into a Novell server, plugged it into the hub,
>rebooted the 6300's with a novell style boot disk and whamo, instant novell
>network.

Did you gain something from this as compared to the netbios/3B2 server in
the way of software compatibility, extra functionality, speed, or size of
the client code?  Did you compare Novell to the '386 version of the unix
starlan server?

Just curious.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (02/09/91)

No problem here.  I just installed a student lab with 12 6300s.  I
used Western Digital 8003 cards (the ones without the boot ROM
socket) and thin coax ethernet wiring.

The machines have HP/3Com/Microsoft's ARPA services for DOS
installed on the hard disks.  Pretty yucky stuff that takes
f-o-r-e-v-e-r to boot up but works fine.  We also have a few
6300s around campus that have HP/3Com 10baseT cards running the
same stuff.

For novell, I use boot floppies to avoid conflicts between the
netware ipx TSR program and the ARPA drivers.  The Netware is very
nice in that both the IPX driver and the NET3 (or NET4) DOS shells
are TSR programs.  The netware clients I used on the 6300 were
generated using the shgen disk from netware 2.15 and the drivers
disk, LANL-200, supplied with the Western Digital boards.  These
clients are talking to a version 3 netware server runing medline
cdp software on an ami eisa 486 based serer box with 9 Maxtor 650
meg drives.

==Bill==

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb08.201424.29672@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Feb7.024608.12819@iguana.uucp> merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) writes:
>>we have a classroom full of single floppy 6300's which used to connect to a
>>3B2 using starlan 1 NIC's and starlan software.
>
>>we dropped a starlan 1 NIC into a Novell server, plugged it into the hub,
>>rebooted the 6300's with a novell style boot disk and whamo, instant novell
>>network.
>
>Did you gain something from this as compared to the netbios/3B2 server in
>the way of software compatibility, extra functionality, speed, or size of
>the client code?  Did you compare Novell to the '386 version of the unix
>starlan server?

the main reason for the switch over was financial.

our main unix system was a Perkin Elmer 3220 V7 beast.

we needed to replace it with something.

we had a 3B2/500 in the classroom basically as a dedicated DOS file server.

it was cheaper to replace the 3b2 with a generic 386 based novell server
than to purchase a new machine with sufficient power for our unix needs.

we noticed a large increase in performance (sorry, i didn't do any benchmarks)
we noticed that our applications were loading faster, much faster.

also, we had a fair amount of system hangs, although this is probably
related to the fact that we were running an older version of Starlan software.
i think the current AT&T stuff is stargroup.

also, most network aware software recognizes Novell (explicitly in
documentation), whereas you had to guess when using starlan.

i wish i could have file links back though.  8^)