[comp.sys.att] KSH and Layers

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (02/24/91)

Using 'ksh' as the default shell, launching 'layers' for most AT&T terminals
brings up 'sh'.  Is there a way to have layers bring up 'ksh's?

jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) (02/25/91)

In article <519@genco.bungi.com> rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
>Using 'ksh' as the default shell, launching 'layers' for most AT&T terminals
>brings up 'sh'.  Is there a way to have layers bring up 'ksh's?

Please post the response to this as I'd like the answer too!

- Jack

||Jack Hagerty, Robotic Midwives, Ltd.        jack@rml.UUCP (smart mailers)||
||Livermore, CA		       ...!uunet!lll-winken!rml!jack (dumb mailers)||
||(415) 455-1143	   jack%rml@lll-winken.llnl.gov (desperate mailers)||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||
||The problem with doing nothing is you never know when you're done - Grimm||

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (02/25/91)

In article <519@genco.bungi.com> rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
"Using 'ksh' as the default shell, launching 'layers' for most AT&T terminals
"brings up 'sh'.  Is there a way to have layers bring up 'ksh's?

did you export SHELL?  did you set SHELL=ksh?

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |

debra@wsinis03.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (02/26/91)

In article <251@rml.UUCP> jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) writes:
>In article <519@genco.bungi.com> rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) writes:
>>Using 'ksh' as the default shell, launching 'layers' for most AT&T terminals
>>brings up 'sh'.  Is there a way to have layers bring up 'ksh's?

Put the following line in your .profile, assuming ksh is in /bin:
SHELL=/bin/ksh; export SHELL

That'll do the trick.

Paul.
(debra@win.tue.nl, debra@research.att.com)

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/26/91)

In article <1789@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@info.win.tue.nl writes:
>Put the following line in your .profile, assuming ksh is in /bin:
>SHELL=/bin/ksh; export SHELL
>
>That'll do the trick.

True!  But even faster, per the "optimization" tricks in "The KORN Shell",
would be:

export SHELL=/bin/ksh

which can also be stated:

set -a
SHELL=/bin/ksh

In the first example, other env vars can be set in the same "line."  In the
second example, the "set -a" (where "a" = allexport) means all vars set will
be automatically exported.

I strongly urge people to acquire a copy of "The KORN Shell" which is THE
definitive reference work regarding ksh (besides which it contains numerous
"tricks" and addresses efficiency issues).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]