[comp.sys.att] Latest AT&T 386 unix/starlan/rfs etc. ?

I'd like to upgrade our '386 unix machines to SysVr4 but haven't
been able to get definitive answers about the following software for it:
Starlan network (1M)
RFS
Starlan Dos Server (or whatever the name is now...)
PMX-Starmail
----
Which versions of these products run under r4 and will they interoperate
with the earlier versions?  I have 3B2 equipment on the same net and
would like to continue to allow the DOS clients to link to both types
of machines simultaneously and have RFS links between them.  If necessary,
I can move the Starmail service completely over to the '386 servers.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar15.162442.3598@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>I'd like to upgrade our '386 unix machines to SysVr4 but haven't
>been able to get definitive answers about the following software for it:
>Starlan network (1M)
>RFS
>Starlan Dos Server (or whatever the name is now...)
>PMX-Starmail
>----
>Which versions of these products run under r4 and will they interoperate
>with the earlier versions?  I have 3B2 equipment on the same net and
>would like to continue to allow the DOS clients to link to both types
>of machines simultaneously and have RFS links between them.  If necessary,
>I can move the Starmail service completely over to the '386 servers.

The latest version of StarLAN is now the StarGROUP LAN Manager Server or
LMS.  The revision number is 3.4 and it *requires* SysVR4.0.2 and will
operate on 1MB hardware, 10MB, and (gag) Token Ring.  It is a CLNP TP4
OSI protocol moving the LAN Man API's, so you can mix earlier OSI-based
Starlan (now called StarGROUP) as long as you are running 3.2, 3.2, or 3.3.
The older stuff was based on the Universal Receiver Protocol - a neat
stack, but not standard.  There is NO DOS-based server software anymore,
the server for StarGROUP *must* run UNIX.  StarMail is now both
character-based or Win3.0-based, and I believe the rev is 2.2.  RFS is
available, but I don't know of the RevNum, and it should work with
previous versions.

I link from a 3.4 client to a primary server that has 3.4; I link my
printer ports LPT1 and 2 to a 3.2 server that acts as a print spooler
for a considerable net; I link to several 3.3 servers for a variety
of other services...
|  Carlo Milono:  cmilono@netcom.apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |