[comp.sys.att] AT&T Unix Sys V

gaeta@pacs.picker.com (jay gaeta) (03/17/91)

I am running AT&T Unix Sys V Rel. 3.2.2 (from AT&T).  There are a
couple of bugs that I would like to get a fix for:

1) The vi editor won't work on large files.  (I know I can get
public domain versions and port them but it seems like a brute force
approach.)
2) uucp transfers sometimes fail with the following message:
ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 4780 (12/17-13:24:28) PKXSTART ret  (0) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 338]

Does AT&T provide bug fixes?  Are they posted someplace?  How do I get them?

Thanks for your help.

Jay Gaeta (216)-473-2441
Picker International, Inc.
595 Miner Rd, Highland Heights, OH  44143
(UUCP: ...!uunet!picker!gaeta) (Internet: gaeta@picker.com)

john@banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) (03/22/91)

In article <221@picker.Picker.COM> gaeta@pacs.picker.com (jay gaeta) writes:
>I am running AT&T Unix Sys V Rel. 3.2.2 (from AT&T).  There are a
>couple of bugs that I would like to get a fix for:
>
>1) The vi editor won't work on large files.  (I know I can get
>public domain versions and port them but it seems like a brute force
>approach.)
>2) uucp transfers sometimes fail with the following message:
>ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 4780 (12/17-13:24:28) PKXSTART ret  (0) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 338]

Call the AT&T Hotline at 800-922-0354.  When you purchased Unix, you
also purchased 90 days of free support for the product.  In addition,
AT&T will send out maintenance fixes for quite a while (technically a
year, but it seems to be the life of the product).

There were three maintenance releases put out for Unix 3.2.2.  They are
cumulative fixes.

However, I do not recall seeing anything about changing the way vi works.

Good luck.

heiko@uwesa.hanse.de (Heiko Weber jun.) (03/24/91)

gaeta@pacs.picker.com (jay gaeta) writes:

>I am running AT&T Unix Sys V Rel. 3.2.2 (from AT&T).  There are a
>couple of bugs that I would like to get a fix for:

>1) The vi editor won't work on large files.  (I know I can get
>public domain versions and port them but it seems like a brute force
>approach.)
>2) uucp transfers sometimes fail with the following message:
>ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 4780 (12/17-13:24:28) PKXSTART ret  (0) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 338]

Hey !
That is the same message I've found these days from my uucico on
Esix, Vers. 5.3.2, Rev. D

Heiko
--
| Heiko Weber jun. | heiko@uwesa.hanse.de | VOICE : 04169 - 1366 |
+------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

rasmus@napc.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (03/25/91)

In <1991Mar21.215229.3618@banzai.PCC.COM> john@banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) writes:

>Call the AT&T Hotline at 800-922-0354.  When you purchased Unix, you
>also purchased 90 days of free support for the product.  In addition,
>AT&T will send out maintenance fixes for quite a while (technically a
>year, but it seems to be the life of the product).

Well, I purchased AT&T SVR3.2.2 from Intel (Since they are the people who
actually wrote the thing), and I tried to get a bit of techincal help
through the Intel help line (1-800-INTEL4U).  They informed me that I would
need to purchase a $2000/year support arrangement.  Needless to say, I
have more exciting things to spend $2000 on than getting the right to
speak with Intel techies.
--
Rasmus Lerdorf    calgary!ajfcal!napc!rasmus       1020-64 Ave NE, Calgary
NovAtel Advanced Product Concept Development       Alberta, Canada T2E 7V8

wcs) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar21.215229.3618@banzai.PCC.COM> john@banzai.PCC.COM (John Canning) writes:
]In article <221@picker.Picker.COM> gaeta@pacs.picker.com (jay gaeta) writes:
]>I am running AT&T Unix Sys V Rel. 3.2.2 (from AT&T).  There are a
]>couple of bugs that I would like to get a fix for:
]>
]>1) The vi editor won't work on large files.  (I know I can get
]>public domain versions and port them but it seems like a brute force
]>approach.)

	Sigh.  I wish they'd fix this, it's trivial.
	About N>8 years ago, I fixed this for vi Version 3.7,
	the termcap version, on the machines I was running.
	Editing N-Megabyte files was very convenient.

	Do you have source?  It's probably changed somewhat, but
	the right combination of compile-time options did the trick.
	The basic issue was that the VMUNIX flag told vi two things:
	- you've got virtual memory, so make your tables nice and big,
	- you're running Berkeley Unix, so do something-or-other
		and there was a flag to turn it back off.

]Call the AT&T Hotline at 800-922-0354.  When you purchased Unix, you
]also purchased 90 days of free support for the product.

	It's worth a try.  Or get GNU emacs, and use vi-mode.
--
				Pray for peace;
					Bill