[comp.sys.att] Tweaking 6386 display colors

dab@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (david.a.berk) (05/03/91)

Has anyone written a program that allows someone to alter the
default colors of the console ?

		Dave Berk
		..!att!emdbl1!dab

mtd@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (Mario T DeFazio) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.183759.2485@cbfsb.att.com>, dab@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (david.a.berk) writes:
> Has anyone written a program that allows someone to alter the
> default colors of the console ?
>
> 		Dave Berk
> 		..!att!emdbl1!dab

If you are using UNIX SVR3.2, you can use tput(1).

The following table shows the colors that can be set with
the shell command line

		 tput p1 p2

where p1 is
	'setf' to set foreground color
	'setb' to set background color

and p2 is the numeric color code.

	p2	color
	---	-----
	0	black
	1	blue
	2	green
	3	cyan
	4	red
	5	magenta
	6	brown
	7	white

This is not documented anywhere that I know of.
I looked at the terminfo description for AT386 to figure it out.
The raw escape sequences are given in the display(7) manual page.
You might also look at the tput(1) and terminfo(4) manual pages.

Hope this helps,

Mario DeFazio			AT&T EasyLink Services, Lincroft, New Jersey

AT&T Mail: !mdefazio
Internet:  mdefazio@attmail.com  Voice: (908)576-2590
           mtd@pegasus.att.com

In article <1991May3.220534.8867@cbfsb.att.com> mtd@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (Mario T DeFazio) writes:

>		 tput p1 p2
>where p1 is
>	'setf' to set foreground color
>	'setb' to set background color

The "background color" in this case refers to the background of each
subsequent character that is displayed, not the part of the screen
that is normally black.  The difference is significant in that the
blank space beyond the end of a line is not re-drawn, nor is the
blank line at the bottom of the screen as text normally scrolls.
Thus if you change your background color you end up with a horrible
looking mess that is partly your chosen color and partly black.
Also, the terminfo init sequence always resets the white-on-black
mode, so running anything that uses curses will undo the color setting.
Has anyone come up with a way that actually works to get a decent
white-on-blue screen besides dialing in from a DOS terminal program?
I suppose running kermit under VP/ix looping between two serial
ports would work at the expense of all the machine's idle time.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us