[comp.sys.att] Boot floppy

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) (05/17/91)

Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

Can anyone lead me through the succession of programs that are executed
on a cold boot?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
>the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
>rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
will be hard for someone to help.  However, the first thing I would
do for the boot floppy kernel is strip it and remove the #ident
strings so that it is much smaller.

The pieces of the OS on a boot floppy are usually the minimal set
necessary to build the system, so you may not have much room to
play with.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.010422.15059@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
=will be hard for someone to help.

Shucks, and I thought that *everyone* knew I run AT&T SV/386 R3.2.2!  ;-)

Pete
--

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/21/91)

In <1991May18.010422.15059@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>>Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
>>the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
>>rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

>You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
>will be hard for someone to help.  However, the first thing I would
>do for the boot floppy kernel is strip it and remove the #ident
>strings so that it is much smaller.

Oh, and I suppose another thing that could be done is to remove unnecessary
drivers e.g. serial and parallel port drivers assuming you haven't already
done this.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim