[comp.sys.att] Shells for SYSV machines

john@wpi.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) (06/05/91)

I'm looking for a replacement shell for my 3b2/400.  I want a shell
that has history and aliases.  I have bash from the gnu project up and
running (sorta), but I don't want something that BIG.  At 700K+, it is
just too big for what I want.

I've looked at vsh, ash, bash, tcsh.  The best would probably be tcsh,
but I don't have the sources to csh, and I don't think I can afford to
get a source license from Berkely.

Does anyone out there know of a good shell for SYSV with the features
I want?  Thanks!

			John

--
How do you explain Wayne Newton's POWER over millions?                   | john
 It's th' MOUSTACHE...  Have you ever noticed th' way it radiates        | @wpi

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (06/06/91)

The binary image to tcsh is available for the ftp'ing at any
number os sights.  No csh license required...

Jack

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (06/07/91)

john@wpi.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) writes:

> I'm looking for a replacement shell for my 3b2/400.  I want a shell
> that has history and aliases.  I have bash from the gnu project up and
> running (sorta), but I don't want something that BIG.  At 700K+, it is
> just too big for what I want.

Really?
I stipped my executable so now it's only 248704 bytes long.

> I've looked at vsh, ash, bash, tcsh.  The best would probably be tcsh,
> but I don't have the sources to csh, and I don't think I can afford to
> get a source license from Berkely.

You don't need to.  tcsh binaries are available by anonymous
ftp from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.

> Does anyone out there know of a good shell for SYSV with the features
> I want?  Thanks!

YOu could always BUY ksh from the AT&T Toolchest.  I don't
know the number offhand.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik                                        Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  gulik@depaul.edu       access UNIX system at

et@hailstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) (06/07/91)

In article <209@dean1.usma.edu> aj4640@dean1.usma.edu writes:

>The binary image to tcsh is available for the ftp'ing at any
>number os sights.  No csh license required...
>
>Jack

Anyone know any of these sites??  I'd like to get it, but don't
know where from...  please, help me out if you know.  Thanks.

Eric Thompson (et@ocf.berkeley.edu)

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (06/09/91)

In an article, greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>You could always BUY ksh from the AT&T Toolchest.  I don't
>know the number offhand.

Hell, I have US$10,000 just lying about doing nothing in particular.
Yeah, right.
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/09/91)

[ ... ]

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) replies:
>YOu could always BUY ksh from the AT&T Toolchest.  I don't
>know the number offhand.

The number is 201-522-6900, 2400bps.  They have a Trailblazer too, they tell
you the number when you log in.  Use the guest account.  Hang onto your
G-string, ksh (it's the '88 version though) is $3,000.  You have to register
to get a license from AT&T.  Not only for ksh but also a license to buy from the
Toolchest.  They say it takes a week or ten days to process, mine has been
pending for three weeks or so.  There's some pretty interesting stuff there
but I didn't see any bargain basement prices.
--
Bill Kennedy  internet  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM
              uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) (06/11/91)

>YOu could always BUY ksh from the AT&T Toolchest.  I don't
>know the number offhand.

I would like ksh, but can't buy it.  Does anyone know if there is a PD
version of ksh or a look/work alike?

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (06/11/91)

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:

> I would like ksh, but can't buy it.  Does anyone know if there is a PD
> version of ksh or a look/work alike?

Sure, there is a PD ksh floating around, but I couldn't get
it to compile on my 3B2.

Use the latest bash.  I have source and binaries for both
a 3B2 running V.3.2 and 3B15 running V.2.1

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik                                        Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  gulik@depaul.edu       access UNIX system at
   ||  gulik@motcid.rtsg.mot.com                        (312) 714-8568

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (06/12/91)

I have before me, a disk that says: "386 Unix (r) System V release
3.1 The Korn Shell   6386 WGS".  There is copyright notice dated
1987, etc, and a part number "1333004-ET01-0262-X ver 1.1 1 of 1"
on the floppy.  It has what appears to be a real AT&T sticker and
envelope with it.

I got this in a box full of miscelaneous junk that I got at a flea
market.  Though it says release 3.1, it seems to work just fine on
my 3.2.1 system.  The disk is an installpkg format with only the
binaries and short release notes.

Is this the bargain of the century or something?  Does AT&T really
charge $3000 for ksh?  I got hooked on ksh on the Unix PC and
really missed it in the 386 environment.  Do I have to burn this
disk and disavow ever having seen it, or should I bury it in an
atom bomb proof cellar for safe keeping?

Please don't write asking for a copy.  I only have the one disk.

The 386 release really is inexcusably incomplete without the text
processing tools and all of the shells.  I was really surprised
that even nroff is absent (and I'm still looking for that).

Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

john@pitt.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) (06/12/91)

Gregory> kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:

Eric> I would like ksh, but can't buy it.  Does anyone know if there is a
Eric> PD version of ksh or a look/work alike?

Gregory> Sure, there is a PD ksh floating around, but I couldn't get
Gregory> it to compile on my 3B2.

Gregory> Use the latest bash.  I have source and binaries for both a
Gregory> 3B2 running V.3.2 and 3B15 running V.2.1

I've gotten Bash up and running on my 3b2, but the only problem I
found, and a major one for me, is that I couldn't get it to work as my
login shell.  I kept getting a 'sig access error' which told me lots.
:]

Instead of bash, I am now using tcsh, which i was able to ftp the
binaries for from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, or (so I am told) from
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, or possibly cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.  I
forget which of the two sites is supposed to have it available.

I'm very happy with tcsh, and after doing mcs -d tcsh, it wieghs in at
around 230k or so.  which is comparable with bash.

John