[comp.sys.att] COMP.SYS.NCR ??

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (06/23/91)

What with the merger happening, significant changes in products, and
uncertain support policies, what about a new group?  I realize that
there will be venerable AT&T microcomputers humming for many a year from
now, and so perhaps this group should survive, but some of the new
products on the horizon (from NCR/AT&T) are really exciting - the
3450 and 35/26/3700's...I don't know much about their 'PCs' yet, except
that NCR bullied AT&T into the Microchannel architecture.

The 3B2 family will live for a piece and an upgrade to a MIPS CPU
is due shortly.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    cmilono@netcom.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono           |
| Hobbes: "Life in the Great Suburban Outback is certainly fraught with    |
|          peril."                                                         |
| Calvin: "If you'd seen it, you'd have been scared too."                  |

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun23.014738.6362@netcom.COM> cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
>What with the merger happening, significant changes in products, and
>uncertain support policies, what about a new group?  I realize that
>there will be venerable AT&T microcomputers humming for many a year from
>now, and so perhaps this group should survive, but some of the new
>products on the horizon (from NCR/AT&T) are really exciting - the
>3450 and 35/26/3700's...I don't know much about their 'PCs' yet, except
>that NCR bullied AT&T into the Microchannel architecture.

The rumor mill sayeth that NCR is going to engulf and devour AT&T's computer
business, so the days of comp.sys.att, AS A NEWSGROUP WHICH REFLECTS THE REAL
MARKETPLACE, are definitely numbered. Of course, maybe 3B's will become "cult
classics" on the Net, just like UNIX-PC's did...

>The 3B2 family will live for a piece and an upgrade to a MIPS CPU
>is due shortly.

The 3B2/WeCo family, as a competitive line, is already dead. The fact that no
R4 port will be offered for it is merely a nail in its coffin.

The 3B2/MIPS family is a -different- family, with the questionable "feature"
of being compatible with the over-priced, under-performing peripherals of the
3B2/WeCo family.

Whoopee.

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin 	  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 759-7140 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 758-8173 		  | 25999 Lawrence Ave, Center Line, MI 48015

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.223640.5546@cfctech.cfc.com> kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) writes:
>In article <1991Jun23.014738.6362@netcom.COM> cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
>
>The 3B2/WeCo family, as a competitive line, is already dead. The fact that no
>R4 port will be offered for it is merely a nail in its coffin.

Not true.  A R4 port is available right now (in source version) and a
binary version is to be available in July.

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

mkd@cbnewsj.cb.att.com (mark.k.darby) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun23.014738.6362@netcom.COM>, cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
> What with the merger happening, significant changes in products, and
> uncertain support policies, what about a new group?  I realize that

Comp.sys.ncr already exists....I suppose as the computer lines converge,
we'll see more of this activity there.  I don't doubt that comp.sys.att will
now have a finite life span.  I assume that it will continue to exist
for pre-merger system news/support/etc.....?

> 3450 and 35/26/3700's...I don't know much about their 'PCs' yet, except
> that NCR bullied AT&T into the Microchannel architecture.

I've been told that  NCR does have some AT-style boxes.  I don't know any
specifics yet.

> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                   Carlo Milono                                           |
> |    Personal:    cmilono@netcom.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono           |
> | Hobbes: "Life in the Great Suburban Outback is certainly fraught with    |
> |          peril."                                                         |
> | Calvin: "If you'd seen it, you'd have been scared too."                  |

Mark Darby
AT&T StarLAN Hardware Development
Lincroft, NJ
mkd@mtung.att.com